Do you wear protective gear all the time? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Cool Do you wear protective gear all the time?

As a warm up to our anxiously anticipated July ride to New England, wife and I have been putting in some extended ride time to help insure we are ready for some long hours in the saddle. It gets hot here in the south, as most of you know, and yesterday my wife suggested we just wear our Aerostich Arborware riding pants and Ex-Officio shirts to stay cool. I did not go for that idea and told her to go ahead and put on her BMW Airflow II jacket and pants. She agreed that was probably the smarter thing to do so we suited up and took off. Our destination was Tennessee and we were soon headed up Hwy. 411. About 5 mile south of Chatsworth, GA we came across an accident. Two motorcycle riders were laying in the intersection and had clearly been hit by an individual in a car. They appeared to be either hit from behind or broad sided based on the layout and damage. Did not see any brake marks on the pavement so I assume it must have been fast and totally without warning. Both bikes were so damaged I could not even speculate what brand they were. Fire department and EMC had just arrived on site. Though both riders were clearly not moving they did appear to be alive based on the actions of the medical personnel. What really freaked my wife out was that neither rider was wearing any protective gear. Just blue jeans, tee shirts, open face helmets and work boots. Jeans were shredded on both riders and one rider had his shirt ripped off and you could clearly see major and bloody road rash on their legs, body, elbows and arms. Asphalt and skin just donít mix. For the rest of the ride all my wife was concerned about was the condition of the riders and if I felt they were going to be OK. All I could tell her was that they would definitely have been a lot better off if they had protective gear on. We went for another ride today and when my wife came downstairs she had one of her BMW suits on. She also stated that any thought of not wearing one at all times has been thoroughly removed. Days like yesterday just re-enforce that at anytime and place you can meet the road up close and personal. Itís just practical sense to make that meeting a little less intrusive if you can.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Even when it starts to get hot and sticky and it is tempting to wear light clothing I always force myself to wear my full gear.
With my wife just starting to ride with me, she was insistent to have her full gear before she would get on the bike.

I always wonder about the peple who wear virtually nothing when riding, figuring it must be some sort of stupidity gene at play.
post #3 of 61 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:49 pm

ATGATT
All the Gear All the time!! Anything less displays your denial of the facts.

post #4 of 61 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 9:50 pm

You'll never really understand ATGATT until you see somebody lying mangled on the side of the road. That's my unscientific two cents.

Everybody is different. I've been riding as an adult for six years - my first year involved common stereotypes - shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops, no helmet. You'd think that the third degree burn on my calf from pipe would have taught me. Nope. What did, though, was seeing some guy trashed on the side of the road with half his brain showing and a few sharp pointy bones sticking through his skin.

No shit.

I won't ride 10' without gear. That just my personal two cents.
post #5 of 61 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Either seeing firsthand the results, as you did, or like me knowing the results of multiple major accidents WITH full gear on is certainly a mind changing experience. I will not ride out of my drive way witout the full gear on. Almost did it once just to test some work on the bike, but after starting the bike, got goosebumps, shut it off, got off and put on the full gear, then rode it.

Much like ex smokers can be the most critical of smokers, having suffered accidents makes me more critical of riders who ride with little protective gear. They have HEARD all the reasons to gear up, I KNOW the reasons first hand.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 61 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:15 pm

What's the classic phrase?

"Sweat washes off, road rash don't."

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 61 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:21 pm

I've had enough wrecks on various bikes ... always with proper gear, but they've been significant that I don't want to experience any of them without gear. So I wear all the gear, all the time.

The only consession I've made is that I do ride with a flip face helmet when on long distance rides, so that I can eat/drink while moving. If it's just commuting, I'm usually wearing my Aria full face helmet.
post #8 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 9:19 am

Attgatt

is an apt description I have used and heeded for years. once used to it, it feels odd and uncomfortable to not do it.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #9 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 9:36 am

+2 ATGATT

Don't dress for the ride, dress for the possible fall.............
post #10 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:26 am

When commuting to work (10 miles through town) I always wear FF helmet, armored jacket, and gloves but never bother with armored pants (just wear dress slacks).

But after reading this post, I've decided to begin doing the 'Full Monty' even to work

Better to Sweat than Bleed!!!
post #11 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:16 pm

I rode for many years in boots, jeans and T-shirt.
By listening to the opinions expressed here and on other boards I gradually changed my style
(read got older and wiser) and started wearing mesh gear in the summer.

We crashed 3 weeks ago and I'm so glad we were wearing it.

A big thank you to all who expressed their opinions and caused me to listen.

The accident destroyed not only the bike but our First Gear Meshtec jackets and my Arai helmet, our next set will have more/better armour and I will not "ever" ride without it again.

Hence my sig quote applies (regardless of your beliefs)
I listened to the wisdom expressed here,
it's up to you to decide which you prefer, line one or line two.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Jun 5th, 2006 at 12:24 pm.
post #12 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:32 pm

I actually find ATGATT to be cooler than just jeans and tshirt. And I don't mean "cool" cause I look like a dork wearing it, but cool as in temp. Must be the silver mesh. I do know the helmet also helps with fatigue and top of helping you keep your stunning looks in a get off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

SilverBuffalo:

If you don't mind me asking: What happened that it totaled your LT and Arai helmets. When you say "we" I assume your wife was with you at the time of the accident? Glad to hear that both of you, if she was with you, were not permanently hurt and able to walk away from whatever happened.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I rode for many years in boots, jeans and T-shirt.
By listening to the opinions expressed here and on other boards I gradually changed my style
(read got older and wiser) and started wearing mesh gear in the summer.

We crashed 3 weeks ago and I'm so glad we were wearing it.

A big thank you to all who expressed their opinions and caused me to listen.

The accident destroyed not only the bike but our First Gear Meshtec jackets and my Arai helmet, our next set will have more/better armour and I will not "ever" ride without it again.

Hence my sig quote applies (regardless of your beliefs)
I listened to the wisdom expressed here,
it's up to you to decide which you prefer, line one or line two.
post #14 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I actually find ATGATT to be cooler than just jeans and tshirt. And I don't mean "cool" cause I look like a dork wearing it, but cool as in temp. Must be the silver mesh. I do know the helmet also helps with fatigue and top of helping you keep your stunning looks in a get off.
I know what you mean about silver mesh vs. black mesh. I've had both and immediately felt the difference when I went lighter to grey or silver.

And about your comment about looking like a dork. I see so many riders that enjoy that half helmet no gear look, that look like dorks to me. Of course they look at me the same way I suppose. I call it the three C's. They look Cool, Comfortable and destined for long term Care.

I must admit that I am one of those AATGATT guys. Almost all the gear all the time. I have some good riding pants but don't always use them. And after my accident too.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #15 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
SilverBuffalo:

If you don't mind me asking: What happened that it totaled your LT and Arai helmets. When you say "we" I assume your wife was with you at the time of the accident? Glad to hear that both of you, if she was with you, were not permanently hurt and able to walk away from whatever happened.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Perry
My wife and I were on an extended trip which you can read about in ride tales under the heading of "where the Buffalo roams"
We hit an Elk in Idaho, just about the last thing I ever expected to have happen.
We both look pretty good considering what we went through.
My wife has a broken ankle and I ended up with 4 broken ribs.
I sincerely believe we came out as good as we did because of our gear, after I hit the ground I rolled like a log which destroyed my padded jacket but not my skin.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #16 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushj1
is an apt description I have used and heeded for years. once used to it, it feels odd and uncomfortable to not do it.
Been riding all of my life with a helmet. About three years ago and before the LT I had the cruiser syndrome (vests, chaps, loud pipes, half-helmet) and we went to Texas for a 50th wedding anniversary for the in-laws, as soon as I hit Louisiana, off went the helmet (this was when La didn't have a helmet law). It felt weird but I rode for the next six days without a helmet, felt good but I kept telling myself, what if........!

Anyway, when we hit the Mississippi border several days later I felt that I was wearing a 50 pound brick; but it didn't take long to get reacquainted with the helmet again!

Anyway, for the last two years you bums (lol) have gotten me wearing my gear MOST of the time!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #17 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Anyway, for the last two years you bums (lol) have gotten me wearing my gear MOST of the time!
That is because we want to keep you around my friend!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #18 of 61 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:32 pm

New Member down under

I've seen and heard all the guff about not needing the gear. Let me tell you a good old Aussie gum tree at 80 kph and the resultant slide in the gravel teaches you all you need to know about always wearing the gear.
post #19 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 9:01 am

Jacket, gloves, helmet 100%: boots 99%
post #20 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:01 am

As much as I enjoy the wind and the free spirit of riding with just a t-shirt and bluejeans I won't do it. I saw a lady last year at Sturgis go down with her cute halter top on and bluejeans. She now has part of her left breast remaining.
We always ride with full gear on and sweat!!
post #21 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:58 pm

I have to admit that on a hot day and I'm on my Harley heading to Cooks Corner, I don't wear much more than helmet and gloves. Let the flogging begin!

BTW, in 2003 I broadsided a pickup truck wearing only a half helmet and gloves. No rash, 3 broken bones. I was lucky. I always wear my gear when commuting or when on my sportbike, but sometimes when I'm on the cruiser I just don't do it. I'm stupid I guess.
post #22 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
As much as I enjoy the wind and the free spirit of riding with just a t-shirt and bluejeans I won't do it. I saw a lady last year at Sturgis go down with her cute halter top on and bluejeans. She now has part of her left breast remaining.
We always ride with full gear on and sweat!!

Sweat washes off, road rash doesn't!
post #23 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
Days like yesterday just re-enforce that at anytime and place you can meet the road up close and personal. Itís just practical sense to make that meeting a little less intrusive if you can.
Before I bought my first LT I wore a helmet sometimes, but not always, but as for the other gear, I wore what is recommended by the motorcycle safety foundation for my rider's course. Boots over the ankle, long pants, long sleeved shirt and gloves. After I started hanging with the riders here in LT land, I started to upgrade my thinking about gear. I got educated by positive peer pressure. Now I don't go out without all the gear. I can't help but mutter disparaging words to guys who I see riding in thin shorts and T shirts and tennis shoes. They look like they are riding in their underwear! LOL I try not to be too judgemental about those who are not as enlightened as we are, though. They will learn the lesson some day, and most likely it will be the hard way. So rather than preaching to the choir, and making ourselves feel better about our choices, how do we influence the ignorant to help them choose better?

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #24 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 2:27 pm

The wife and I use full gear all the time. From 17F to 124F we rode always with our full gear and we plan to continue on it.
By full gear I mean 12" boots, MC pants with pads on knees and rip, MC jacket with pads on elbonw, back and shoulder, full face helmet, and good quality gloves.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #25 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Red face

Quote: "I try not to be too judgemental about those who are not as enlightened as we are, though. They will learn the lesson some day, and most likely it will be the hard way. So rather than preaching to the choir, and making ourselves feel better about our choices, how do we influence the ignorant to help them choose better?"

Munson, when I wuz a Harley rider, I had a half-helmet (not a salad bowl brain bucket), leather jacket and HD boots/gloves. Dumped a rental Ultra on the BRP with my bride aboard and crushed my ankle...still hurts!

Long story short: BMW Transition boots/gloves, armored mesh jacket and a full-face Arai helmet are my standard now because STUPID HURTS.

I, too, just shake my head at those in shorts, tennis shoes, and t-shirts. Hate to see them learn the hard way 'cause they just won't listen...butt, I will take all the ribbing I get any day as I show up like a Power Ranger!!!
post #26 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Armored Mesh Jackets

Guys,

Any good recommendations for armored mesh jackets that are reasonably priced (recognizing, of course, that you often get what you pay for)??? Leather is beastly hot in the summer, even with the ventilation openings in front and back unzipped. I have gone without the leather - with not enough fear and trembling, I guess - and this thread has convinced me that it's better to be protected than stupid. I need something cooler than leather though that's well armored but doesn't look like a racing jacket (preferably). Any suggestions would be appreciated and may benefit more riders than just this rookie LTer.

Thx.

BobbyD
post #27 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkey
Guys,

Any good recommendations for armored mesh jackets that are reasonably priced (recognizing, of course, that you often get what you pay for)??? Leather is beastly hot in the summer, even with the ventilation openings in front and back unzipped. I have gone without the leather - with not enough fear and trembling, I guess - and this thread has convinced me that it's better to be protected than stupid. I need something cooler than leather though that's well armored but doesn't look like a racing jacket (preferably). Any suggestions would be appreciated and may benefit more riders than just this rookie LTer.

Thx.

BobbyD

Hi, Bobby!

Try First Gear and/or Marsee....both great products. I love the BMW venting machine but prefer a silver (lighter...meaning cooler) color.

Good luck!
post #28 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated and may benefit more riders than just this rookie LTer.
I have been wearing Joe Rocket Silver mesh jacket for several years. It reflects the sunlight and feels like I'm riding in the shade. On really hot days I wear a long sleeved T shirt underneath to trap the moisture so I do not get dehydrated. The wind blowing through the jacket causes evaporative cooling at the same time. The Joe Rocket pants are black, but have the same mesh material. From several reports these stand up to the pavement well. I also wear a white HJC Symax helmet, because white is cooler in summer sun, and the helmet really stands out visually from a long way off. Some of my buds thought I was nuts at first, but they got used to it. So far this summer I have seen that silver mesh jackets are really catching on around here.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #29 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Rider Journeyman

Atgatt?

Howdy Perry,

I read your post and all the replies and agree in principle with all of them.

However, just what is ALL the gear and ALL the time?

Most all of us will agree on the minimum gear, helmet, m/c pants, m/c jacket, m/c boots and m/c gloves, but .... how many of us have been to, say, a track day, or a camp ground rally and ridden our bikes over to the tech inspection without a helmet, without gloves? When I did it, it seemed appropriate in under the existing conditions.

MSF says, "no skin below the chin" which includes a DOT approved helmet..... a beanie. Doesn't seem like all the gear to me. I think their standard is too low.

So then, what is the standard? Is it a one-piece 1.2 mm leather suit with armor at the spine, shoulder, elbows, knees, coccyx and hips plus a full-face helmet? As I understand it, this is the top of the line in terms of safety. But then, if I had to wear that suit every single time I swung a leg over the m/c, I wouldn't put too many miles on it.

When I am at home and want to run up to the store for a gallon of milk and I've already got my jeans and tennis shoes on, then I'll add a mesh jacket, light gloves and full face helmet for the 1 mile round trip.

If it's hot and I'm going more than a short distance, but not going to push it too hard, then it's light m/c boots (Oxtar Jupiters or BMW Airflow), light m/c pants (BMW m/c cargo or BMW Airflow II), m/c mesh jacket (First Gear), light gloves (BMW Airflow) and full face helmet (Arai Corsair).

If I'm going for ride and going to push it a bit, then the gear toughness starts going up, no matter how hot it is, heavy m/c boots, leather m/c pants, leather m/c jacket, heavy gauntlet m/c gloves and a helmet.

If I'm going to do more of these "track days" like this last Sunday, then I will be getting a "race suit" with all of the armor. At the speeds I'll be going and with the stretching of my abilities, that level of protection is warranted.

By my definition of ATGATT, all of the above, EXCEPT MSF's, qualify under each of the conditions I described. And the latter gear for the prior conditions may be so overkill (pardon the pun) as to keep a rider off the bike because of the hassle/comfort factor.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #30 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 5:34 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
That is because we want to keep you around my friend!!!
Thanks my California friend.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #31 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Guys,

Thx.

BobbyD
I recently picked up an armored mesh jacket by TourMaster. I tried on all the First Gear, Joe Rocket, etc., stuff; just liked the way the TourMaster fit me (it's now my second TourMaster jacket) and I shy away from the "boy racer" look and logos on some of these things. Much much cooler than a "solid" (non-mesh) jacket, yet same armor at elbows, shoulders, and back, but you lose some of the pockets on the front (no big deal). $99.

If money was no object I'd have the BMW Venting Machine or something else top-end. I believe the BMW Venting Machine jacket alone is $400 or $500; $800+ for the jacket and pants, but as someone recently said: have you priced a skin graft recently?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #32 of 61 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Perry,

I read your post and all the replies and agree in principle with all of them.

However, just what is ALL the gear and ALL the time?

Most all of us will agree on the minimum gear, helmet, m/c pants, m/c jacket, m/c boots and m/c gloves, but .... how many of us have been to, say, a track day, or a camp ground rally and ridden our bikes over to the tech inspection without a helmet, without gloves? When I did it, it seemed appropriate in under the existing conditions. (deleted the rest to save space)

BillyOmaha

You raise a good point. The appropriate choice is based on the intent of the purpose for which it serves. Touring, racing, dinner out, hot weather or cold etc. are all factors in deciding what should or can be worn. Based on where you live (riding season) how much you ride and weather extremes you actually would be better off with a number of sets of what would be considered appropriate road protection. I mean who really wants to ride in a one piece Aerostich or any non-vented road suit in the middle of summer anywhere in the south or southwest if they donít have to.

If individuals feel it is too much bother, inconvenient or inappropriate to wear road protection, like a track day, that is a personal choice that every individual has the right to make. I started riding when I was 12 years old on dirtbikes, now 41 years later, and with my wife fully into riding, I choose to approach it with a little more pre-thought and understanding on the ultimate impact an expected get Ėoff at 53 would have.

I own the following:

Arai Full Face (have others but I really like the Arai
Alpinestar T-stunt 2 Airflow Jacket w/matching Airflow Pants, upgraded knee protection
Aerostich Roadcrafter Jacket w/ Darien heavy weight pants, knee protection
Harley Davidson FXRG Road Suit with full armor
A newly acquired BMW Venting Machine jacket/ pants (obviously with CE protectors)
Alpinestar Effex m/c boots
No less than 7 pairs of gloves (hot, cold and everything in between)
No less than 6 pairs of m/c glasses (looking for that perfect pair).

All of the above, plus all the similar gear my wife has, pretty much allows us to ride year round, in a comfortable and hopefully safer way. This is also why I would not go along with her not wearing road protection when she questioned wearing it this past Saturday.

On a humorous side: I was raised in Vegas so I like the odds in my favor whenever possible and I am the newly appointed Director of Risk Management for the corporation I work for. So risk assessment and factoring in the odds is my life.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Last edited by DaveDragon; Jun 8th, 2006 at 9:19 am. Reason: fix the close quote
post #33 of 61 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:09 am

I was also one that would slip on a tee-shirt and jeans to go for a two week ride. Leathers tucked inside the saddlebags with a long sleeve shirt for the cooler days. The only protection I had was sunscreen and a half helmet.

A few years ago on a cold day I had on my leather jacket, chaps and helmet and tried to shorten my wife and my life span. The leathers worked really well. The local Gold Wing group have lots of "stuff" to put on before rides and I have talked to them about the gear for a while now.
I have never had any protective gear other than a half helmet and leathers for cold rides and then a few months ago at a tech session, I was asking about the jackets that the other folks were wearing. The guy who was hosting the session asked me what I was going to put on for the ride home and I looked him in the eye and told him "sunscreen". He went to his closet and handed me his old mesh jacket (thanks again Grif) and told me Merry Christmas. That was the VERY FIRST time I had ever even put on something like that. Wow, what a nice ride home. Where was all this stuff for the last 25 years? It's one of those stories where you you can only say "if I had only known sooner". I now know that I will be getting more gear in the future. Wife needs a jacket and mesh pants and I might even hang up the O'l leather jacket in the closet. The textile packs soooo much better.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #34 of 61 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:58 am

I was thinking about the gear I have worn since starting to ride again a few years ago. I started with a Leather Jacket (custom made when I was on a trip to Korea, (an exact copy of the Hein Gericke "V-Pilot) and Cordura riding pants.

4 years ago I started riding in warm weather with Joe Rocket Phoenix pants and jacket, was on my second set of those.

As most know, I have been in three bad accidents, totaled two LTs. I still don't know how the Phoenix mesh gear will work in an accident though! All three of my accidents were in cooler weather, and the first one put a hole in the back of the leather jacket, where a limb of the manzanita fractured three vertebrae. When I got healed up enough to ride again, I had purchased a back protector I never rode again without. The leather jacket had some scuffing, and the cordura pants a couple small tears.

The second accident, again cool and the leather jacket, some more scuffing, and scuffing on the cordura pants.

I bought a new set of cordura pants that fit better (MotoPort). In the last accident, yet again I had on the leather jacket and the MotoPort pants. A couple tears on the pants, some scuffing, and this time tore a big triangle in the back of the jacket, about 8"/side. Yet more scuffing.

So, I have been pretty well protected by a leather jacket and cordura pants. I would still wear the mesh gear in summer though, the leather is just TOO hot, but question how well the mesh would have done in any of my accidents.

The last three years on really long trips that were likely to be in any cool weather I did not take my leather jacket, just the Phoenix gear, rain gear for over top, and Gerbings liners. The last accident was on the way to Deming from San Diego, not a "long" trip, and I knew I would be in cool most of the time, so the leather came out again. Lucky for me!

If I ever get another bike, I will have to have that leather jacket repaired. It has done some great jobs protecting my skin! It looks it too. Three major accidents have taken their toll on it. It now has great sentimental value to me, so I could not get rid of it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #35 of 61 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:11 am

Ouch (long)

Shortly after Dave crashed in Casa Grande, AZ on his way to Deming (I was there and it was cold and miserable,) I was hit by a left turning car that I was passing. I was riding an '05 LT with 3500 miles, was wearing an HJC full face, Aerostich Darien jacket and pants, BMW boots and 'rancher' leather gloves. The right sleeve of the jacket was slightly ripped, the pants scuffed as were the boots. The helmet was trashed, shield ripped off and chin bar ground down badly. The helmet dug into my forhead and caused a bit of grief but the worst injuries were to my left hand, crushed bones in two places, thumb and forefinger, riquiring two plates and seven screws. I didn't have a back protector (do now!) and had some pretty bad bruising there. The LT was totaled and I'm on my second '05 now.

My only exception to ATGATT is my daily comute to work. I wear jeans or slacks rather than my 'stich pants (I know, I know....) I also wear a flip helmet most of the time, another concesion to comfort over maximum protection. In the summer I wear a Joe Rocket jacket (hot and humid here in San Antonio) and mesh gloves as well (I also have six or seven pairs of gloves..)

Just this Tuesday, I stopped by the desk of one of my friends here at work whom I'd not seen for a month or more. Imagine my surprise to find him recovering from major road rash. He doesnt own a bike (has ridden though) and just took his brother's bike "up to the end of the street." He was evidently hit by a car that tried to pass him and clipped the bike. As much as he and I had talked about safety and gear, he wasn't wearing any! He had no broken bones but was in hospital for a week anyway. His wife didnt want him to get another bike and I think he just confirmed her fears!

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #36 of 61 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
...took his brother's bike "up to the end of the street." He was evidently hit by a car that tried to pass him and clipped the bike.
A lot of accidents involving other cars happen at low speeds in crowded areas. Sometime no cars are involved. I'll tell a story on Sweetpea now. When she was learning to handle the Yamaha Radian she bought from her sister, I insisted she ride in full gear. At a stop sign she dumped the clutch while turning right and stalled it. She went off the bike and slammed her helmet on the curb. She was only shaken, and I was so happy I had insisted. Guys have been killed slamming their bare heads on curbs, and I'm not letting that happen to my sweetie. Every time we ride we are gambling with death. I like the odds in my favor.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #37 of 61 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 4:07 pm

On the lighter side, don't rule out the Darwin Effect. Those that choose to ride without safety gear will weed themselves out of the gene pool and we will eventually have nothing but safe, well suited riders. And wear your seatbelt when you're in your cagemobile.
post #38 of 61 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 9:36 pm

ATGATT... with exception of the massive heat here in Texas and I don't always wear the mexh pants.. but always long pants..

I am sure some smart folks here could find the stats on severe injury and/or death of with/without gear/helmet.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Last edited by cfell; Jun 9th, 2006 at 9:40 pm. Reason: add info.
post #39 of 61 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 9:47 pm

I'm a new rider and I can't imagine not wearing all my protective gear. I see a lot of people wearing t-shirts and shorts and I figure it is their decision...they can do whatever makes them happy. For me, if I can ever avoid a road rash or worse because I wear a little bit of extra gear then it is worth it to me.

I've found the gear protects me very well from the lousy weather we have been having also. When it is cool and rainy I'm the only one still riding to work I'm also the only one on a BMW .

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #40 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 6:17 am

Wtrrtw

Good for you Kevin! Yep, lots of days my LT is the only bike in the MC parking area at work.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #41 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 7:04 am

Your choice

You can by and wear BMW gear, but you are paying for the name.
There are HD rider's that only put HD brand name parts on their bikes, even though said parts are made in China (Chinky-Davidson) You will get a lot more milage for your dollars with other companies.
I do not wear the stuff all the time, and I wear the same helmet (when I wear it) as Motorcops wear, which is open face short. (Not the plastic toy helmet)
Life is Short, Ride Hard
We could build a clear rubber bubble around bikes so they just bounce when hit
Rock
Sounds like a bunch of good little safety rangers, all indoctrinated into the mantra!
Well it is a German Bike, (I am the Reich Master)

Last edited by UncleRock; Jun 10th, 2006 at 7:21 am. Reason: want to add
post #42 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:27 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
You can by and wear BMW gear, but you are paying for the name. ....
Howdy Rock,

When I first bought the LT and started gearing up I would probably have agreed with you, but I went ahead and bought the BMW stuff because I had it packaged with the purchase.

After two years, 45,000 miles and looking at every alternative I can find I have come to this conclusion:

BMW rider gear is a very good "value". By that I mean that you pay a premium price and you will receive premium goods. Example: The First Gear mesh jacket, which I own and use, may cost $200 less that a BMW AirFlow jacket. I have the Mrs. wear a the BMW jacket because it is Far superior the First Gear. From the Kevlar mesh the CE Armor, the BMW is worth the extra money.

You may ask, "then why to I use a First Gear mesh jacket?" Because I hadn't yet come to the conclusion that the BMW stuff was that much better.

PS I'm not saying that BMW is the "Best". It's just that if you find another high quality product you'll find that the price is right up there with BMW stuff.

One more thing.....when we ride we ALWAYS zip the jacket to the pants. BMW stuff always has zippers that match to do this. I had to have the BMW matching zipper sewn into my First Gear with high strength thread.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #43 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 1:45 pm
psh

Red face First Knee Experience

I have been riding seriously since age 50. I am now 57 and have owned 7 mortorcycles all BMWs. A year ago 4th of July weekend, I was riding my friend's F650GS with no ABS. I was not in a good mood and going too fast. All of a sudden, I found myself at a Y in the road (a Y in my life too). And attempted to go left, put on the breaks and remembered thinking uh oh! in my head, right before the rear wheel locked and I slammed down on my left side. I was wearing jeans on the bottom and full protection on top including, a Cortec mesh jackect, gloves and Shoei RF 1000 helmet. I tore a hugh hole in my left knee which was very gory and required surgery that evening (plus many weeks of physical therapy). I also fractured my spleen. However, I had no other upper body damage. My full face helmet saved my head and the whole left side of my face perfectly. I actually had a thought go through my head when I hit the pavement of how well the helmet worked. I was in ICU for 3 days, but the doctors let me keep my spleen. It took 10 weeks to completely heal. Of course my friend's F650 only had scratches.

Now 1 year later, I have a new R1200GS, a new Aerostich zip together, and 2 new helmets. I learned that I have to go slower, and will never trust my favorite legs to jeans only again, no matter how hot. Last weekend I was riding for 11 hours with my Aerostich and just bike shorts and T-shirt underneath in over 95 degrees. I was actually quite comfortable when moving and when I stopped I just took it all off and was standing in the nice sun with just the shorts. ATTGATT means alot to me and I am constantly amazed by the Harley crowd.
psh
post #44 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 4:36 pm
Super Moderator

Rode in the woods and dirt for 25 years and 100% of the time wore ATGATT.

On average we would dump, crash, slide, drop, clip, fall, run into, fall off, trip, bang in to and execute every imaginable entanglement possible several times a ride. We rode hard and on many occasions approached "the edge" you know that area where things happen!! Thus we usually destroyed parts, riding gear and sometimes our bodies.

Thus coming over to the street on a large bike (850#) there was never the thought of not "dressing up". Don't look forward to the drop but when it happens want to make sure we are prepared.

Never heard a good reason for not wearing the stuff, since there is none. I would think that sooner or later insurance companies will require the protection. So if I wear the stuff I may get a lower premium!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #45 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Investigated many m/c accidents when I was working and people without the protection always suffered worse injuries.

I have never seen protective gear or seatbelts kill anyone but seen a lot die without them.
post #46 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Quote:
=============================
I do not agree fully Rock. I have looked at a lot of gear, and the BMW gear is probably as good as you can get from a quality standpoint. VERY well made, and with excellent materials. Yes, it is expensive, but when you look at the other BEST brands not so much so. All the really good stuff costs an arm and a leg, but will save same, so probably worth it.

I did not have BMW gear, but wanted it over what I was wearing, just had not gotten around to convincing myself to pay the price yet, but was getting close. The stuff I was wearing performed marvelously in my last bad accident though, so you really do not need the "BEST" to get pretty good performance.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #47 of 61 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 5:14 pm

In my younger days I tested most of the gear and lack of gear. Some of the gear is vital and some is highly over rated. For those who are old enough I raced WERA #135 in the 80's and AAMRR #35. I rode a bike on the street year round including the snow in Maryland from 1979 to 1981 ( I had no car) and almost year round from 1981 to 1984. I had quite a few accidents riding in pretty bad conditions. Nickname back then was crash and burn

My experience:
Your helmet hits the ground in 100% of accidents
Your hands get cut up in 100% of accidents (with or without gloves, though much less with gloves)
Your shoulders and elbows hit on close to 100%

Butt/hip hits and gets bruised. Heavy jeans can provide limited protection at very slow speeds.

Boots keep your feet dry and warm, thats about it. I have wrecked with sneakers many times, never ever did I get any cuts or injuries at the ankle or foot. Most boots are too loose to provide any support to prevent sprains.

So what do I wear...

I always wear a full face helmet. I would have been dead about 27 years ago if it was not for a full face helmet.

MC jacket 95% of the time
Gloves 95% of the time

Riding pants only in temps below 70

Boots only on long rides (might get rained on, I like dry feet)

SGSITT
Some gear some of the time

I also have higher risk tolerance, I have over 1500 skydives as well.
post #48 of 61 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Quote:
This quote was made to me by a BMW rider with 45+ years saddle time, this past week at Americade. (As we looked at all the offerings, and they did try to get me to buy a Nolan helmet )
They went over my TourMaster Cortech suit's + & - with over 90K on it, with a fine tooth comb, No complaints.
I have Joe Rocket, Nex-Gen, Fieldshear, First Gear etc.
Nothing can approach my Motorcop Jacket for abrasion resistance, period, it is competition grade racing leather, but uncomfortable in hot weather, extremely heavy when wet. Cost over $500.00 in 98 before 3 hrs of tailoring.
Which brings us to the point of something that you will wear, having to stop and put in a waterproof liner is bad design (by bean counters not riders) the shell should be water proof and breath. Vents that you can operate at 80mph etc.
If I got to stop my bike to put something on, then for that time period, I have been stolen from my life's pursuit "Riding My Bike" to a maniquin dresser.
At 75MPH that 4 minutes is 5 miles out of my life that I'll never regain. I'm not gonna get an extra chapter at the end to do all the time I wasted on wrong gear.
Which is why it pisses me off so bad that Dollar Wearhouse wont make Dollarstitch suits to fit people out side their bean counters demographics.
They would be the best made if???
Rock
post #49 of 61 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Very interesting discussion here. For years I rode in little more than a skullcap helmet (when required) or no helmet (when legal to do so), jeans, fingerless gloves, T shirt, tank top, or no top at all (mostly to show off the tattoos) and a pair of old work boots. Luckily, the only time I ever went down was at about 0.5 MPH in my driveway, when I forgot to remove the front disc brake lock. (Yeah, it was embarrassing, but luckily, nobody saw it happen!)
When I went from the V-twin cruiser to the LT, I started thinking about dumping the image and using my brain. I now ride in either a full face or 3/4 helmet, depending on the outside temps, riding boots (waterproof with ankle armor), a TourMaster Cortech jacket with armor inserts and venting, and full fingered gloves.
One thing I just haven't been able to find, though, is a pair of riding pants that offer decent protection, aren't too hot, and don't make me look like the Michelin tire man when off the bike. I tried to find some Draggin' Jeans (they look like blue jeans, but have Kevlar in the knees and butt) but everyone I call tells me my size is on backorder, and they don't know when they'll get them in.
Any suggestions as to something that possibly slips on over a pair of light pants or even shorts that can be easily removed once off the bike? (I can see it now - standing next to the LT, trying to remove my outer pants and having a "wardrode malfunction", exposing the one area of my body that ISN'T tattooed! - yet)
post #50 of 61 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Cool Riding pants for Commuters

For the commuters in the group, I suggest riding pants with the full length leg zippers, like the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants. I ride fairly often to the office, and Dockers are quite common here, along with the Levis. It only takes a few seconds to pull me XXL (normally wear an XL) Phoenix pants on over either my Dockers or Levis without needing to remove my boots. Same for after I have arrived at work: a couple of seconds and they are hanging in my office!

I even find these pants work well in the cold as well as the hot for my short commute. Of course if it is freezing out (but not icy on the road!) then I wear my Kilamanjaro overpants.

ATGATT, period! I have one knee that got ripped up in the gravel several years ago when we were only wearing our Levis. It will never happen again if I can help it!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in