Angled valve stem/question/complaint - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Angled valve stem/question/complaint

I replaced my tires for my latest trip and decided to go with the angled valve stems for easier pressure checks.....wrong.....I had my local BMW dealership install them.

I don't know if there are different types but these have a very flexible rubber seal where it meets the rim. It is next to impossible to check pressure as the stem needs to be held from behind to keep it in place.

I had to get air while on the road it was one of those air fillers that is about 12 inches long. I had one heck of a time adding air. I will be taking these back and installing the straight ones again.

The only example I can think of is trying to "park the car in the garage" when Herman isn't ready....Know what I mean!!!!

Hopes this helps someone else....

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod
I replaced my tires for my latest trip and decided to go with the angled valve stems for easier pressure checks.....wrong.....I had my local BMW dealership install them.

I don't know if there are different types but these have a very flexible rubber seal where it meets the rim. It is next to impossible to check pressure as the stem needs to be held from behind to keep it in place.

I had to get air while on the road it was one of those air fillers that is about 12 inches long. I had one heck of a time adding air. I will be taking these back and installing the straight ones again.

The only example I can think of is trying to "park the car in the garage" when Herman isn't ready....Know what I mean!!!!

Hopes this helps someone else....
Rubber right angle valve stems are NOT recommended, on anything except maybe a wheel barrow. They are forced to bend in toward the wheel when running due to the centrifugal force, and then flex back up when you stop. This constant in/out bending causes them to weaken and eventually probably fail.

On large truck tires that have the metal ones, there is almost always a little bracing bracket near the end to prevent the flexing.

When you replace them, get the METAL straight fittings that have rubber washers and nuts. You can get them at most auto parts stores. Camel makes them, chrome plated. Camel also makes Motorcycle metal valve stems, but these are too small. The LT wheels use automotive stems.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in