Storm - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Storm

Been trying to get over and visit my nearest dealer about 50 miles away to see what's what. Finally get some time Friday afternoon so I head out. Beautiful all day and don't even check the radar before leaving. It's a nice day so of course I take the long way and stop for a libation. When I head out again I notice a little weather out that way. No problem I have my rain gear and I really want to see this shop. The closer I get the darker it gets and pretty soon there is a wall of darkness and lightning strikes. I will ride in weather and have seen some guys on this site ride in some nasty stuff, but lightning is where I draw the line. I got the heck out of there and will have to try another day. Sure enough my wife tells me later she heard on the news two guys in the hospital after being struck on a golf course. Glad I did not push my luck. What would you have done?

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan
Been trying to get over and visit my nearest dealer about 50 miles away to see what's what. Finally get some time Friday afternoon so I head out. Beautiful all day and don't even check the radar before leaving. It's a nice day so of course I take the long way and stop for a libation. When I head out again I notice a little weather out that way. No problem I have my rain gear and I really want to see this shop. The closer I get the darker it gets and pretty soon there is a wall of darkness and lightning strikes. I will ride in weather and have seen some guys on this site ride in some nasty stuff, but lightning is where I draw the line. I got the heck out of there and will have to try another day. Sure enough my wife tells me later she heard on the news two guys in the hospital after being struck on a golf course. Glad I did not push my luck. What would you have done?

Scott
The exact same thing...
post #3 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:56 am

Trust your instincts. Better another day for the same destination than a crispy critter today

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.

post #4 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:44 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I wouldn't have stood in a large, open field swinging a metal stick over my head.

If you weren't comfortable riding in those conditions, then it's perfectly reasonable to have turned back. The store will still be there later.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Quote:
What would you have done?
First of all: NOT get back on the bike after a "libation" (if it was of the alchoholic variety).

But more to your point . . . If I'm on an LD trip, I ride through the storm. Lightning, or no lightning. But ff I'm local, I route around or just go home and call it a day.
post #6 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 1:46 pm

Old Golf Joke

When caught in lightning stand and hold a One Iron directly over your head...

even God can't hit a One Iron....

Thankyewww, I'll be here all week.
post #7 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Thumbs up

Good one! Never heard it...
post #8 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Old Golf Joke

When caught in lightning stand and hold a One Iron directly over your head...

even God can't hit a One Iron....

Thankyewww, I'll be here all week.

post #9 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Been there, but I was on my way home and thought the storms had all moved east but I got about 3 miles from home and ran into the storm. I got off the highway at my exit and got stopped at the light. Lightening flashing all around. I just laid as low as I could on the tank and made a bee line home.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Joe,

You seem like a nice guy but if you can't drink one beer and get on a bike you don't need to be riding anyway. IMHO.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
post #11 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Joe,

You seem like a nice guy but if you can't drink one beer and get on a bike you don't need to be riding anyway. IMHO.

Scott
I "can" drink a beer than ride . . . I just DO NOT! It's called "an intellectual choice". And very few poeple will be impressed in this forum by your choice.

FWIW, you seem like a nice guy too, I just won't ride with you. But anytime you want to ride sober just to see if I know how to ride, let's go!
post #12 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Don't want to get into a pissing contest but since when do you speak for everyone in the forum?

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
post #13 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:22 pm

After 7,000 posts, I think I have a pretty good pulse of the personality of this forum. And please note the operative word "most" in my statement. That leaves room for the morons who drink and ride.
post #14 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Joe I apologize if I have offended you but this is going nowhere so let's just call it.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
post #15 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:58 pm

I accept your apology, though it's not needed. I'm not offended by anything. Maybe that's part of the problem. I assume all too often that people are thicker-skinned than some are.

We're all good.
post #16 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Sheesh, I heard that one learning to play golf before you were born Joe.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 9:09 pm

And I've seen the Master Golfer take a few swings the proove that to be just another Urban Legend!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #18 of 19 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Joe and Scott,,

You two are a prime example of why this forum is the best forum on the internet...

I visit 8 or 9 bike forums a day and have been for a couple of years and some of them are so vile and down right mean spirited that ya can't stay their long...

I know in the passed I have scanned the forums and have came here and spoke harshly but not by intent,, and I truly try to follow the example set by so many of you.. My skin is as thick as reactive armor but that gives me no excuse to be rude... I do truly enjoy this forum over all the rest...

Any way, my hats off to you for once again showing others how men act..........Regards Pete
post #19 of 19 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 3:22 pm

golfers are nutz!!

I always wonder if their crazy when I'm riding thru a storm like that and see them on the golf course

Same thing when it snows!

Gotta give em credit though so I wave when I go by.

good riding!!..geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in