Motorcycles vs Parking Garages - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Motorcycles vs Parking Garages

A few of us seem to have issues getting out of parking garages on our bikes. A friend of mine said if the detection system is magnetic there is someone who makes a magnet you can mount on the bike that will set off the detector. Anyone ever here of such a thing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinne
A few of us seem to have issues getting out of parking garages on our bikes. A friend of mine said if the detection system is magnetic there is someone who makes a magnet you can mount on the bike that will set off the detector. Anyone ever here of such a thing?

Thanks

It's called the green light trigger, but it doesn't always work.
When on the bike, and been stuck like that, I've always managed to squeeze out the sides. It's probably not always possible, but might give it a try, if you're really stuck.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
It's called the green light trigger, but it doesn't always work.
When on the bike, and been stuck like that, I've always managed to squeeze out the sides. It's probably not always possible, but might give it a try, if you're really stuck.

Thanks! Just ordered one, I will let you know how it works

post #4 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Old speaker magnet

I used an old speaker magnet about the size of a hockey puck, only problem is that I have to clean off the road debris it picks up - nails, screws etc...

I have since gone to Fleet Farm and picked up a couple of 1x2 inch magnets for $1.89 a pair and they work almost as well and they don't pick up road debris.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Don't waste your money on the Green Light Triggers, You can also got to the building supply store and get bigger magnets cheaper.

Rusty Snyder
post #6 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 2:00 pm

A powerful enough magnet may also stop you from having flats.

The old bike riders used to have a hang down skirt off the front fender. Seems the front tire kicks a nail, screw, etc. up and the rear runs it over.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #7 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Exclamation Green Light Trigger . . . Umm...

Here's a thread that may interest y'all.
post #8 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 3:59 pm

I seldom have this problem. And I have heard that hitting the kill switch and restarting the bike creates a disturbance in the magnetic field and activates the light in most cases. The key is to be right over the box or whatever your city state uses to trip lights. Try that until your package arrives and let us know what happens.

Ray
post #9 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Know anybody in the IT biz?? Ask 'em if they've got any old hard drives lay'n 'bout. Stip 'em down - there's usually 1 or more often 2 fairly strong magnets used to move the head assemblies. They'll come out with the right tools - so happens that for many, they're the same tools our LTs like. (give the kids the platters - they're pretty and make great noises when you roll 'em down the driveway)

Right now, I've 6 of those suckers stuck to the leading brace of the skid plate. no glue, no ties - nothing. Just their own attraction to steel. They've all been on there for about 10K miles now. If one falls off - big whoop. Got me about 40 or so stacked up in the garage. Incentive to come by Wyoming - you swing in here, I'll hook ya up with a few.

It makes a hell of a diff with a few lights in town - but not all. Seems the newer ones are going to that new fangled video system. Someone needs to teach 'em what a motorcycle looks like.

Use the search function and search on 'Green Light magnet' - lots o talk in past days

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; May 30th, 2006 at 5:43 pm.
post #10 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Seems the newer ones are going to that new fangled video system. Someone needs to teach 'em what a motorcycle looks like.
Seen Joe's (messenger13) avatar ? Wonder what the camera would make of that. Maybe an emergency vehicle ? Maybe a UFO ? Sure would give it a pause !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #11 of 11 Old May 30th, 2006, 6:19 pm
TMH

The triggers for these are actually a loop of wire which is energized, thereby creating a magnetic field surrounding the wire. Sensors within the equipment sense a change within the electric field. If you don't immediately trigger the equipment, try riding over a different portion of the loop. Then you can try killing/starting the motor over the loop.

I was once going into a parking structure, and couldn't trigger the equipment to give me my ticket and raise the gate. I was able to get around the gate and into the facility - but then what would I do when I wanted to exit (Me: I never got a ticket. Attendent: Well, then you pay the maximum.)

So I parked the bike, and walked back to the entrance. Fortuitously there was a trashcan nearby - with a metal lid. I took off the lid, waved it over the embedded loop, and the machine spit out a ticket for me.

Moral of the story: You don't need a magnet to cause a change in the magnetic field of a traffic sensor loop - Just a nice hunk of metal. So based on my story, we should now all affix a metal trashcan lid on the bottom of our bikes!

But seriously, I wonder how a 1/8" thick x about 1ft square ferrous metal "skid plate" (like the aluminum ones we put on the centerstands of our GS's, but instead made of steel) would work...

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in