post #1 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 12:01 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Interesting Countersteering Video

This video gives a simplified explanation of how countersteering works:

The Physics of Countersteering

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Re: Interesting Countersteering Video

I wonder why there was no discussion of gyroscopic precession.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 2:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I would say that it is not mentioned because, in the front end of a motorcycle, it is a relatively weak force.

Were it not, your bike would have a strong tendency to steer to the left, increasing as speed increases.

Since it does not we can intue, empirically, that the force is weak and has no discernible effect.

We can also demonstrate the magnitude of the force with physics and show its magnitude relative to the other forces, but that won't change the answer above.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I'm still trying to "intue" whether or not you're serious.
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 6:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quite serious.

Gyroscopic precession is a real force, but in the face of the other forces involved it is small and doesn't have a measureable effect on motorcycle handling.

Think of it this way - the gravitational pull of the sun and the moon are real forces that effect the world around us. They pull on our bodies, but we don't lean over in their presence as the effect of those forces pale in comparison to the earth's gravity, the wind, and even inebriation. OK, I suppose I might be affected by the moon's gravity when sufficiently inebriated. Perhaps it is what causes me to fall over. But I digress...

There has been quite a bit of work done on how two-wheeled vehicles stay upright and how they turn, much of it on bicycles. One fellow went so far as to mount a counter-rotating front wheel on a bicycle to negate the effects of "gyroscopic forces" and pretty well showed that the gyroscopic forces weren't what held the bike up.

The topic is a most excellent way to start an argument with cycling physicists. Or people who cycle and frequent Holiday Inns...

I have an interesting book, written some time ago, called "Bicycle Science". It delves into matter quite deeply and, I always thought, somewhat inconclusively. Interesting none the less.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

Last edited by 12R12RT; Mar 14th, 2014 at 6:19 pm.
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 11:42 pm

I never realized, until that video, that countersteering created a force throwing you out of one arc and into another. Learn something new every day

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12R12RT View Post
Quite serious.

Gyroscopic precession is a real force, but in the face of the other forces involved it is small and doesn't have a measureable effect on motorcycle handling.

Think of it this way - the gravitational pull of the sun and the moon are real forces that effect the world around us. They pull on our bodies, but we don't lean over in their presence as the effect of those forces pale in comparison to the earth's gravity, the wind, and even inebriation. OK, I suppose I might be affected by the moon's gravity when sufficiently inebriated. Perhaps it is what causes me to fall over. But I digress...

There has been quite a bit of work done on how two-wheeled vehicles stay upright and how they turn, much of it on bicycles. One fellow went so far as to mount a counter-rotating front wheel on a bicycle to negate the effects of "gyroscopic forces" and pretty well showed that the gyroscopic forces weren't what held the bike up.

The topic is a most excellent way to start an argument with cycling physicists. Or people who cycle and frequent Holiday Inns...

I have an interesting book, written some time ago, called "Bicycle Science". It delves into matter quite deeply and, I always thought, somewhat inconclusively. Interesting none the less.

Tom
Say What.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Why was the motorcycle on the wrong side of the road?!? If the bike had been in the proper lane, the pothole would have been a non-issue.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil View Post
Say What.
Gyroscopic precession:

All the other forces:

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510 View Post
Why was the motorcycle on the wrong side of the road?!?
I heard the guys at the Cambridge Science Centre (that's Cambridge, England) who made this video, actually ride and drive on the left side of the road, not the right.

Something to do with having your sword handy when passing a random stranger all those years ago . . .

The funny accent should've clued you in.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool, thanks for posting, Ken. Never thought about the physics of the counter steer, only that it works very well.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

I actually figured out countersteering when racing BMX bikes as a kid, though I didn't know what to call it back then. Spent many days experimenting on different corners to get it right, and many hours running the same corner over and over again.

It was quite a rush the first time I flew high into a berm at full speed and shoved that inside grip down hard to drop straight down the berm, passing 3 other bikes to take the lead. Maintaining my momentum and pedaling straight down the berm gave me enough of an edge to keep the lead over the finish line.

Years later I studied Robotics and Control Systems and learned the physics behind it all, and that there were actually equations that described everything in great detail. Fascinating.

These days, it's a simple push on the inside grip and fast but smooth twist of the throttle to get that same thrill.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in