It finally Happened - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old May 18th, 2006, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

It finally Happened

Well after riding for at least 6 years with no M endorsement on my license I finally got pulled over. Now I am actually kicking myself because I took the test aced it and now tomorrow I go for the riding test. So I truly hope that the judge can be nice enough to see that I took care of it the "day after". I can't beleive that allowed myself to go that long and now I have a driving without a license ticket in my hands. I should actually pay for it to learn the lesson. But I am going to court to see if the judge has some forgiveness.

Anyone has ever taken the riding test on their LT's. ?. I saw it been done today the guy was on Kawasaki LTD 750. He seemed to be doing OK.

Thanks for any input.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old May 18th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Well after riding for at least 6 years with no M endorsement on my license I finally got pulled over. Now I am actually kicking myself because I took the test aced it and now tomorrow I go for the riding test. So I truly hope that the judge can be nice enough to see that I took care of it the "day after". I can't beleive that allowed myself to go that long and now I have a driving without a license ticket in my hands. I should actually pay for it to learn the lesson. But I am going to court to see if the judge has some forgiveness.

Anyone has ever taken the riding test on their LT's. ?. I saw it been done today the guy was on Kawasaki LTD 750. He seemed to be doing OK.

Thanks for any input.
Don't know about GA, but the CA DMV riding test is pretty hard to do on any touring type bike. Many riders here borrow small bikes to take the test on.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 29 Old May 18th, 2006, 2:35 pm

I have a friend that took his riding test on his LT and aced it - in GA. He said the state patrol lady 'tester' said she had never seen a big bike stop that quickly. The riding test here is timed and they don't actually tell you that.
You can do everything right and still fail if you are too slow.
The big girl can do everything needed to get your license.

If you can find a lined set up like the test will use and practice the sharp corner turns it would help a lot.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 29 Old May 18th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Here in OK if you take the BRC or ERC you don't have to do the riding part of the test.

Just take the written, show them your card and off you go...You might want to look into that.

HTH

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old May 18th, 2006, 6:41 pm

In Illinois, part of the test was doing a figure '8' in a small box. Phew!

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

post #6 of 29 Old May 18th, 2006, 7:29 pm

Smile

I am an MSF Instructor - Depending on your state, As in California I recommend you take either of the courses and then you will not have to take the riding test portion of the licensing exam. *ALSO, some insurance companies give a significant insurance discount for riders with an MSF certification. More accidents than not are with untrained, unlicensed riders.
As far as taking it on your LT, in California I have heard of folks passing with doing nothing more than riding down and back in the parking lot while going thru the gears and stopping at the examiners signal as the entire test. Depends on your examiner and the county you are in..

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 29 Old May 19th, 2006, 7:34 am

Quote:

Thanks for any input.
I don't know about our brothers and sisters to the north, but here in Florida driving a bike without an endorsement is pretty expensive. Not only do you pay the fine but they can tow and impound your bike and leave you sitting on the side of the road. We had a student in my last MSF class who told us it cost him $700 for the fine, towing and impounding of his bike. The driving test here is difficult on a bike like the LT. It can be done but takes practice. The average rider does not pass on a large bike. The test includes 6 evaluations; 90 degree left turn, stop with front tire in a box (approx 2' X 3'), a VERY TIGHT offset cone weave, a right had "U" turn in a fairly compact box, quick stop, and swerve to avoid an obstacle. Everything is pretty easy except for the cone weave and "U" turn. Those are the evals that cause everyone to fail.

Good Luck

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 29 Old May 19th, 2006, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Thanks you all

Thanks for all the reply's took the test this morning and aced it according to the tester lady, she mention she did not think I was going to make the 90 degree one but I did, she also said I had my speed always in the right place which is hard since by the time you let the clucth out and gaz on the LT you doing 20 and up.

But I am glad I made it, and I say it again feels pretty stupid not have taken care of that some 10 years ago when I started riding.

As far as the test been easy or hard, I think the test was hard because the margin of error is so small....... I am contemplating a MSF ERC course soon at Road Atlanta when one is offered.

Now is just wait for court date and hope the Judge recognizes my mistake and goes easy on me. I am not even expecting to get off of it, just easier.....

Thanks again

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
Atlanta, GA
post #9 of 29 Old May 19th, 2006, 11:30 am

Quote:
Thanks for all the reply's took the test this morning and aced it according to the tester lady, she mention she did not think I was going to make the 90 degree one but I did, she also said I had my speed always in the right place which is hard since by the time you let the clucth out and gaz on the LT you doing 20 and up.

But I am glad I made it, and I say it again feels pretty stupid not have taken care of that some 10 years ago when I started riding.

As far as the test been easy or hard, I think the test was hard because the margin of error is so small....... I am contemplating a MSF ERC course soon at Road Atlanta when one is offered.

Now is just wait for court date and hope the Judge recognizes my mistake and goes easy on me. I am not even expecting to get off of it, just easier.....

Thanks again
Congrats on passing the test. At least you get bragging rights for having done it on the LT.

Let us know what happens in court.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 29 Old May 19th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
I don't know about our brothers and sisters to the north, but here in Florida driving a bike without an endorsement is pretty expensive. Not only do you pay the fine but they can tow and impound your bike and leave you sitting on the side of the road. We had a student in my last MSF class who told us it cost him $700 for the fine, towing and impounding of his bike. The driving test here is difficult on a bike like the LT. It can be done but takes practice. The average rider does not pass on a large bike. The test includes 6 evaluations; 90 degree left turn, stop with front tire in a box (approx 2' X 3'), a VERY TIGHT offset cone weave, a right had "U" turn in a fairly compact box, quick stop, and swerve to avoid an obstacle. Everything is pretty easy except for the cone weave and "U" turn. Those are the evals that cause everyone to fail.

Good Luck
Lynn,
In Florida it is a crime. You could go to the County Hilton. I would as the other MSF Ridercoaches, would take the MSF class. You get the card and go to the DMV office, if Georiga does that. In Atlanta you have that nice Honda Training Ground that does BRC, ERC and ATV training. I was going to do the ERC up there in Sept. Just for kicks.
Here is the link to the Honda Training site in Atlanta http://www.offroad-training.org/
John
post #11 of 29 Old May 19th, 2006, 4:21 pm

There just might be a lesson to be learned for ALL of us!

Darcy,

I appreciate you posting your transgressions. It took guts. You seemed to have learned from your mistake, and you're doing all you can to make it right. What else could we ask for? I've been known to screw up pretty good...and fortunately, the mob turned out to be fairly merciful.

On to the learning part...

We, as a forum really should advocate getting licensed more often. I falsely assume everyone on this forum is already a licensed motorcycle rider...and you have proved that is not the case. We preach ATGATT a LOT. Even training. But very little is ever mentioned about getting licensed. This needs to change.

Keep us informed as to how things go in court. And let's all learn from this.
post #12 of 29 Old May 20th, 2006, 12:45 am

In Missouri, the person who administered my riding test said she had never seen anyone pass on a large bike. After passing it on a riding school's Yamaha 250, I can see why. Test is also timed, but for slow. Too fast and you fail. Emphasis is on controlling bike at slow speed, and very tight confines.
post #13 of 29 Old May 20th, 2006, 6:16 am

When I took my test in Ohio...I just assumed that you was supposed to take it on the bike that you planned to ride. Big, burly Harley dudes pulled in on their Honda 125s, and failed the test miserably!

I passed it with flying colors on one of these:

post #14 of 29 Old May 20th, 2006, 8:30 am

Ticket

I'll trade with ya ...Joe

92 mph in a 55 zone, I just hit it in 1st., 2nd., and 3rd gear. 7 or 8 seconds then right back to 55

Oh well the little school children need a little money in this state anyways

Joey Fletcher
Durham NC
2001 LT name Dolly because she is so dang Top Heavy
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Access to 2005 SE V-Rod
post #15 of 29 Old May 25th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Darcy,

Just wondering why you choice of ERC at Road Atlanta? They will not teach you anything on the track, it will all be done on a large paved area, probably a parking lot. I'd check out Atlanta Motorcycle School. I have taken 3 different classes from them and will recommend them in a heart beat.

YMMV.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 29 Old May 26th, 2006, 8:12 am

I'm impressed! Not easy to pass those tests on anything bigger than a Honda 250 Rebel.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #17 of 29 Old May 26th, 2006, 8:20 am

I got my MC endorsement 40 years ago in a small town in New Mexico. The local sheriff followed me for about two miles down a road to a parking lot where I made a u-turn and then followed me back to the DMV. OK, You pass he said and that was that. I took the test on a Honda 750.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #18 of 29 Old May 31st, 2006, 1:52 pm

Here in CT, a rider is required to take a modified BRC test as part of the DMV license testing process. It is pretty difficult for a new rider - especially those who don't know the feel of their bike yet. I did mine on the LT and passed with no deductions! That was a big boost to me because I practiced in empty parking lots to get to know the bike. You should have seen those who looked like the test was the first time they rode!...

After 500 miles experience, you would be eligible to take the ERC. After 3000 miles, I did this back in April, and believe me, it was much harder. It was taken from the MSF ERC, and they really put us through the paces. The LT was the biggest bike there, and I was told that I "really tore through the course". Surprisingly, I was able to do the figure 8 in the smaller box, as well as the fastest time for the alternating cones. I have no qualms about dragging footpegs or ABS triggering stops. If you do, then I encourage you to get more comfortable on your LT before you take the ERC. It can be done, and I still dodge manhole covers everytime I ride to practice avoidance maneuvers. Practice makes perfect!

Good Luck!

-Larry

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
1999 K1200LT (entered the BMW "organ donation program" on 6/2/11) 38,256 Miles
post #19 of 29 Old May 31st, 2006, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Darcy,

Just wondering why you choice of ERC at Road Atlanta? They will not teach you anything on the track, it will all be done on a large paved area, probably a parking lot. I'd check out Atlanta Motorcycle School. I have taken 3 different classes from them and will recommend them in a heart beat.

YMMV.
I know, I have been on that parking lot where they do it, I know it has nothing to do with the track itself, is just where they offer it before my July 11th court date. I have heard of Atlanta Motorcycle School and will check them out thanks for the info.

On to what Joe said about "preaching" folks to go and get their licenses. I agree, two weeks I would have not, but I did look at the specifics of the law and as motorman mentioned it is a crime here in GA too and taking you to jail is very very possible. The officer was nice enough to realize my situation (I do not have another car right now and the LT is my way anywhere) so he let me loose but followed me back home to make sure I pulled in to the garage. He pulled me over less than a mile from my house. The other thing he told me was and I quote "to ride that beast you have to have skill, I KNOW you have the skill Mr Bastos, just get legal dang it".

So now I am an advocate and will "preach" that folks get their licenses and I have not even been to court yet.......LOL!!!.

Thanks again you all. I will keep you informed on the court appearence

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
Atlanta, GA
post #20 of 29 Old May 31st, 2006, 6:07 pm

Busted

I got busted in 1983 in California for riding without the M endorsement on my license . The law then allowed me 2 months to get my endorsement or else...
I guess things have changed since then, huh...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #21 of 29 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 3:30 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:

Thanks for any input.
Hit the internet and review your state's motorized vehicle laws. The vehicle laws will tell you the type of crime (infraction or misdemeanor) that you might be charged with and the maximum penalty (monetary/jail/both).

In CA, it would be treated as an infraction (no jail time). The fine would be $50 plus court costs (approx $200 total). If you went to court with a "M" endorsement, it would most likely be dismissed.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #22 of 29 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 3:34 pm

I think you will be fine in front of the judge. Most who show up are kids on sportbikes. You should look like a breath of fresh air to the judge.
post #23 of 29 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
In CA, it would be treated as an infraction (no jail time). The fine would be $50 plus court costs (approx $200 total). If you went to court with a "M" endorsement, it would most likely be dismissed.
Well, the penalties are potentially more drastic than that here in CA. One could be asked to run for office.
post #24 of 29 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 5:19 pm

Did the BRC on a Suzuki 250 for the MC endorsement..After riding my LT for 6 mos, I did the ERC. Only problem I had was the box figure 8. I managed to stay inside the box only once out of 4 tries..Really upped my confidence level when I finished..Feel real comfortable on the LT now..Slow or fast..
post #25 of 29 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Update !!! Update !!!

This morning was court date. Yesterday afternoon around 2:30PM the Assistant DA calls me.

Tells me he is looking at my record and see that indeed two days later my license was renewed and a M Endorsement added to it. Therefore since he had a lot more important cases to hear and prosecute, if I could come to the Courthouse so he could make a physical copy of my license and make me sign an affidavit (which basically said I was guilty for riding with no license for "personal reasons" and that within 48 hours I took care of it), it also mentions that since my speedy effort to fix the problem that be striken from my record.

Ah..... $19 court fee.

So I am safe. I was also happy with the outcome and lesson learned out of all of this since I have my license now, don't know why I did not get it quicker and will from now on defenetly push people to get theirs.

Thanks

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
Atlanta, GA
post #26 of 29 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 9:14 am

I pulled off the OH test on a Harley Electra Glide Classic, then did the ERC on the same....

F
post #27 of 29 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:53 am

Quote:
This morning was court date. Yesterday afternoon around 2:30PM the Assistant DA calls me.

Tells me he is looking at my record and see that indeed two days later my license was renewed and a M Endorsement added to it. Therefore since he had a lot more important cases to hear and prosecute, if I could come to the Courthouse so he could make a physical copy of my license and make me sign an affidavit (which basically said I was guilty for riding with no license for "personal reasons" and that within 48 hours I took care of it), it also mentions that since my speedy effort to fix the problem that be striken from my record.

Ah..... $19 court fee.

So I am safe. I was also happy with the outcome and lesson learned out of all of this since I have my license now, don't know why I did not get it quicker and will from now on defenetly push people to get theirs.

Thanks
Excellent -- worked well, all around. Thanks for the update.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #28 of 29 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 1:41 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:

Ah..... $19 court fee.

Thanks
Looks like it worked out well. Congrat's!

Oh yes: In CA, the governator has taught us that you DO NOT need a "M" endorsement! Leadership by example?!....

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #29 of 29 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:15 pm

I hate to be cynical, but is it election season?

No matter, glad you got a break!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in