MOA released member info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 9:55 am Thread Starter

MOA released member info

What in the world is going on over there? I received this yesterday.....

I am writing to inform you that your name and email address may have been inadvertently released to an unknown third party in violation of our member record confidentially policy. This was the result of an administrative error and not a breach of our data security systems. Fortunately, only name and email information was released, however we feel it is our obligation to notify you of this development.

BMW MOA members should be diligent to independently verify any suspicious email communications. The MOA would not ask BMW MOA members to reveal personal information, passwords or other sensitive data via email. BMW MOA members should also be cautious of any email communication that contains clickable links, even if those links appear to be friendly or frequently visited websites.

Please be assured that your privacy is very important to me and I intend to protect it vigorously. If you believe you have received an inappropriate communication, please contact the BMW MOA office at 636-394-7277 or report the communication via email to our Director of Membership, Ted Moyer at [email protected].

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our members. If you have other comments or questions, you may contact me directly at [email protected]. Thank you for your understanding and support as we build a better MOA.

Sincerely,

Bob Aldridge
Executive Director

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: MOA released member info

Yes, I got one of those as well. It seems like the quality of the magazine just keeps going downhill (IMHO) and then this. Beginning to wonder why I bother with a membership.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker View Post
Yes, I got one of those as well. It seems like the quality of the magazine just keeps going downhill (IMHO) and then this. Beginning to wonder why I bother with a membership.
I got to disagree with ya on this... I really do like all of the changes and additional articles. I'm only a member for the magazine. As far as the release of names and email address.... Really not a big deal. It's a magazine! Not your bank account....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

All of us MOA members (that have e-mail accounts anyway) received the same message. I agree with Dan, it is only names and e-mail accounts, so I would't be too alarmed about it. We all get our share of spam in this modern world and I routinely look at the e-mail extension on "friends" names that send me messages with out of the ordinary subject matters, as accounts get hacked. I actually like the magazine, which is also my primary reason for MOA membership…
post #5 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Well that explains the drones flying overhead.

I thought I was finally "off the grid" but my presence has now been revealed by BMW MOA.

David Petersen
Mr. BestRest (The CyclePump Guy)

'05 K12LT
'08 F8GS
'05 R12GS
And several more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BestRest View Post
Well that explains the drones flying overhead.
That's a delivery from Amazon..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 4:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Let's not forget, it wasn't that long ago they were hacked and all the user names and passwords were taken. I keep my membership for the anonymous book benefit. Makes me wonder how that cost compares to towing insurance.

post #8 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Here is the response I received from MOA when I asked what had caused this event to have happened.

Quote:
One of our staff received an email yesterday that appeared to be from Bob Aldridge, our Executive Director. The email had his return address and signature at the bottom and it was addressed to our staff member by name. The email was not sent by Bob or his email account and was dummied up to look like it came from Bob's email address. The email instructed the staffer to send Bob some email addresses for members. The email also requested that staffer to cc an external email address on the reply.*The failure was in copying an external email address. That should have been a red flag, but in the course of doing our jobs, it just didn't set off any bells or whistles. It was not intended with any malice or harm on the staffer's part and therefore considered inadvertent. I have looked at the email and it is a fairly convincing forgery. If you weren't highly in tune to what is going on, you would have done the same thing and sent your boss the information he requested.*As it stands, we don't know who sent the email or who owns the external address. We did contact the ISP in an attempt to stop the email or put a hold on the account listed in the email. However, the ISP has customers and rules and they haven't responded to our requests. Quite honestly, the external email could belong to a random person who was also duped in this process.Unfortunately, I can't go back and change any of yesterday's events. Believe me, I would certainly ask for a do over if it were possible. What I can do is try to protect all of you by giving you the information and also improve the performance of our team so that we don't make the same mistakes twice. We have standard security in place to protect member data and those sytem measures are working properly.*This was a judgement error, plain and simple, and sometimes that comes with experience. I can tell you the person(s) involved were doing what they thought was in the best interest of the organization at the time by providing their supervisor with the information requested. As far as they knew, based on the email they received, Bob needed information immediately and they were attempting to do their best.*I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. *Please let me know if you have any questions. *Thanks for being a member. *Ted MoyerBMW MOA

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #9 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

I think that for me, this is going to be the straw that breaks it. I've been having a hard time finding a reason to renew each year as it is, but I think I'm done.

RoadRunner and Rider magazines are fine for travel ideas, MAX how to videos and JVB DVDs along with a Haynes manual help me figure out how to do my maintenance. I've never used the anonymous book and will rely on my AMA and AAA for road service should I need it. I don't think the MOA has anything to offer any longer that's worth staying for.

The hack was bad enough, this time they released the info themselves and are now congratulating themselves on how well they've handled explaining the breech. The same insiders slapping each other on the back "for the shining example of how to handle a problem".

I think it is a big deal and I won't be supporting that Club again.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT

Last edited by Firenailer; Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:09 pm.
post #10 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Because "only" your name and email address were compromised is not a reason to feel safe. Yes, it's not bank account info but it can be the first step in a series of steps that lead to that, and more. The recent Target hack began with an employee clicking on a disguised malware link in a single email. That opens the door to getting more info.

A rule of thumb, security-wise, is to never click on a link in an email - even if it IS from someone you know and you are expecting it. Kind of like the "all guns are loaded" rule. Better to re-enter the link into your browser.

I don't see this as a reason for quitting the BMW MOA. YMMV. There are hundreds of organizations out there with the same info and with the same chance of it being compromised. You can't quit all of them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Would be nice if they would offer say maybe a discount on membership renewals as a "Sorry will try to not let it happen again"
25 - 50% ? Would go a long way!

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #12 of 18 Old Feb 20th, 2014, 7:54 am

While I can understand how this happened, I'm disappointed that it did happen.

Nonetheless, it will not alter my decision to remain a member: the ON is worthwhile, especially the listing of upcoming events; the national rally is a great experience; the Anon Book is with me whenever I travel by motorcycle; their regional rallies look like lots of fun although I have registered twice but never made it to one.

Dan
post #13 of 18 Old Feb 20th, 2014, 8:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
While I can understand how this happened, I'm disappointed that it did happen.

Nonetheless, it will not alter my decision to remain a member: the ON is worthwhile, especially the listing of upcoming events; the national rally is a great experience; the Anon Book is with me whenever I travel by motorcycle; their regional rallies look like lots of fun although I have registered twice but never made it to one.
This is chicken S*^t compared to:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...93413176249186
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NSA Weighs Retaining Phone Data Longer Due to Lawsuits - WSJ.pdf (166.8 KB, 234 views)

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 18 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 3:20 pm

Nobody seems to be focusing on the motive for the attack, nor the next steps.

Why did someone go to the effort of identifying the employee and their relationship to Bob Aldridge, just to get the names and email addresses of the BMWMOA membership?

What does the attacker intend to do with the name and email address information, and the key association that nearly all of those people own BMW motorcycles?
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 8:15 pm

The MOA release is NBD but does say some of their staff is pretty naive.

Realistically, your biggest risk is any place that uses SSN info- most health care organizations have tons of low level folks with access and only marginal controls- more than a few have been bought by outsiders.

MOA is has lost members which is why it has made some org changes recently. It is a change resistant organization by nature based on my experience so it will be interesting to see what they do- I'd bet "not enough". My membership bennies come mostly in the form of my local club and the Forum. I think their mag is and has always been boring except for the 2 tech columns- RA does a better one. MOA rally is in mid summer when its too hot to ride cross country, at least for me, so I've never attended one and their newly added weekend events are about 3 weeks too early for prime weather in their respective locations and compete with other events I prefer anyway.
post #16 of 18 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 9:20 pm

The April weather was ideal for the two Gettysburg weekends I attended. Shame it seems they are not repeating most of the weekend getaways.
IMO You can't complain about summer heat and then complain the weekends were too early.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #17 of 18 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
Nobody seems to be focusing on the motive for the attack, nor the next steps.

Why did someone go to the effort of identifying the employee and their relationship to Bob Aldridge, just to get the names and email addresses of the BMWMOA membership?

What does the attacker intend to do with the name and email address information, and the key association that nearly all of those people own BMW motorcycles?
Two scenarios come to mind -

First - Diabolical evil: Use the info to try and hack personal information which could lead to identity theft

Second - Commercial evil: Sell the list to sites looking to advertise to motorcyclist

One thing to remember is that once one puzzle piece is in hand it fairly easy to begin assembling the missing ones.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #18 of 18 Old Feb 24th, 2014, 12:27 am

A new member to MOA, this doesn't phase me at all. If your that nervous about iD theft change your email. Have you ever thought about how many of the anonymous books that may have gone astray over time that are carrying more info. Seriously lighten up everyone it's not a biggy

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in