Planning First Trip: San Diego to Dallas and Back - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Question Planning First Trip: San Diego to Dallas and Back

Not sure which forum this should go in.
I'm planning my first long distance trip on the LT. This is my first bike and I've put over 3800 miles on it since February. Mostly commuting in moderate to heavy traffic 40 minutes each way. I've taken a few 1.5 hour trips with some riding time in the rain. Haven't seen too much hot weather yet.
I have a conference I need to be at in Dallas by late Friday June 2nd. If I were to take the cage, I would do 2 long days, but from what I have read, three days would be more prudent on the bike.
I plan to leave San Diego out highway 8 to the 10 and spend the first night in Tucson with relatives. The second day should bring me to Odessa, TX and finally into Dallas on the third day.
From what I remember as a kid, this is not a very scenic or interesting route, but I really just need to get there and I was interested in trying an excursion on the bike. I think Iíve solved most of my packing issues and am still working on hydration. Even with a Camelback I havenít found a good way to get water on the road with my full-face helmet. Got my mp3 player hooked up in a very crude way, but functional. Iím thinking things will be getting warm and humid but not too bad by early June.
Donít have a GPS yet so Iím using Auto Club maps in a tank bag. Just packing basic tools, compressor, plug kit and not planning to carry any spare parts (except fuses). The bike has 7800 miles on it and was just serviced and has a new front tire.
Is this too aggressive? Too soon? Any advice on the route? Iím assuming there is plenty of gas and rest stops on such a major route. The AAA maps list gas stations but there are major gaps in coverage according to them. Iím assuming that their listing just isn'tít complete. Can anyone confirm? Would like to put in some half day rides prior, but it dosen'tít look like it will happen.
Thanks for any input/comments.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:13 pm

I used to live in Phoenix and made the trip on I10 to San Antonio area several times. Fuel stops are pretty few and far between. I always looked for a fuel stop when my tank was half-full (or empty). It is a long way between towns in Southern New Mexico and West Texas.
Not the most scenic ride, for sure. I think Texas has just raised the speed limit from 75 to 80 in West Texas. At any rate, Texas speed cops will usually give you a few miles over the limit.
Drink plenty of water and keep greased up with sunblock.
Have fun.
post #3 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Thumbs up

Looks like abit over 1300 miles. About 200 miles and you could do a Bun burner for IBA ride. Looks more like a two day ride for ya.
For the heat I would suggest some type of evaporative cooling vest. If you can't get one in time then I would just soak the T-shirt and wring out at each rest stop. Placed under a mesh jacket it keeps you somewhat cool while riding. The heat will tirer you out if you don't keep cool. I have heard that the evaporative vest don't work quite as well in hot HUMID weather. They seem to do better in Dry heat. The phase change vest is more expensive but might work better in humid hot weather.

Hydration. The camel bak is excellent to have. Used it many times the last two CCR trips. Mounted the camel bak to the luggage I had strapped to the back seat and just bought an extension tube so that I could have the tube go along the side of me just under my right arm and just hung the mouth piece off the tank bag. This allowed me to flip the valve open with gloves on and just slide the tube under the full face helmet. You then just grab the mouth piece with your lips and you know the rest. Worked out great. The first few sips though are a bit warm but better than nothing.

Soft rag with spray Honda cleaner for cleaning the windshield. Keeps you from scratching the windshield with the station squeegee.

Healthy snacks always good to bring. Too much garbage at the Gas stations.

Looks like you got everything else in order. Have a great ride.

post #4 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Riding in the heat

Please take the time to read this, it could help.

Joe
post #5 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Go for it

You are right in planning three days if your not accustom to riding long distance. Try and stop to stretch every hour or two this will really help you ride longer in a days time. Just relax and enjoy the ride you will be fine. Try and be prepared for any weather raingear, hot or cold this will allow you to ride before dawn and after dark if you choose too. Don't kill yourself riding too long in one day it takes all the fun out of it and thats the reason we ride fun, fun, fun.

Have a Great Ride
post #6 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:32 pm

I have done Dallas to Los Angeles in 2 days on the LT and the same on my girlfriend's F650 ST.
You should be OK from San Diego to Dallas in 2 days on the LT.
On both my trips from Dallas I stopped in Las Cruzes, NM (just West of El Paso) to spend the night. Lots of Motel 6 type of motels...
Coming fron San Diego you can easily get past El Paso on your first day,and find a motel.
You are right about nothing scenic on the West side of Texas...
Watch out for the strong winds in AZ.
You will most likely get into heavy traffic on Friday evening in Dallas... Perhaps the locals from this forum can give you some good advice on the topic.
As far as riding the LT for hours on end on the highway... there isn't a better bike for that! I got into the habit of stopping every 150 miles, whether I needed to or not, just to stretch, get gas, water, etc... That way you can easily go 300 miles (2 tankfuls) in the morning, and same in the afternoon. if you are comfortable you can go another tankfull before stopping for the night and you are up to 600-750 miles/day before you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
Not sure which forum this should go in.
I'm planning my first long distance trip on the LT. This is my first bike and I've put over 3800 miles on it since February. Mostly commuting in moderate to heavy traffic 40 minutes each way. I've taken a few 1.5 hour trips with some riding time in the rain. Haven't seen too much hot weather yet.
I have a conference I need to be at in Dallas by late Friday June 2nd. If I were to take the cage, I would do 2 long days, but from what I have read, three days would be more prudent on the bike.
I plan to leave San Diego out highway 8 to the 10 and spend the first night in Tucson with relatives. The second day should bring me to Odessa, TX and finally into Dallas on the third day.
From what I remember as a kid, this is not a very scenic or interesting route, but I really just need to get there and I was interested in trying an excursion on the bike. I think Iíve solved most of my packing issues and am still working on hydration. Even with a Camelback I havenít found a good way to get water on the road with my full-face helmet. Got my mp3 player hooked up in a very crude way, but functional. Iím thinking things will be getting warm and humid but not too bad by early June.
Donít have a GPS yet so Iím using Auto Club maps in a tank bag. Just packing basic tools, compressor, plug kit and not planning to carry any spare parts (except fuses). The bike has 7800 miles on it and was just serviced and has a new front tire.
Is this too aggressive? Too soon? Any advice on the route? Iím assuming there is plenty of gas and rest stops on such a major route. The AAA maps list gas stations but there are major gaps in coverage according to them. Iím assuming that their listing just isn'tít complete. Can anyone confirm? Would like to put in some half day rides prior, but it dosen'tít look like it will happen.
Thanks for any input/comments.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:43 pm

As others have said, it's an easy ride - although there's not much to see in West Texas. I just did that route on my way to TJ from Chicago and went through Dallas and then followed your route. You can easily do the ride in two days, but you may wish to think about three since it's a first trip.

On your way back consider going through Mexico - there are some beautiful mountain rides on Mex 2 through La Rumorosa.

Plenty of gas stations along the way - even in Mexico.

post #8 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 6:33 pm

I have made that trip several times (actually past Dallas second day). But, if you have not done any 800 mile plus days, you should not plan on doing two in a row, leaving yourself the option to stop ANY time you get too tired to keep going safely. Then if you do keep going, that is just fine too.

The fuel stops are pretty far apart from Yuma well into Texas. There are plenty for the LT's range, just be sure you don't ever try to "stretch" it, may have a nasty surprise. Hint: Carry one or two ESR fuel bottles, available at REI, or most camping stores. The one quart ESR bottle I carried really saved my butt big time once! My stops going east were usually Yuma, or Dateland (loved the date shakes there), then Lordsburg, then Van Horn. From there on to Dallas, fuel stops are more plentiful.

There are lots of ideas on how to dress. After a lot of LD riding in all types of temps, I wound up using mesh pants/jacket, with polypropylene (underarmour) underwear under it. That keeps the wind off your skin, and wicks sweat away. If it gets cool (or wet), rain gear on top of that, and if it gets cold, stop and put on Gerbings heated gear under it all.

One thing I found that heps a LOT when it gets hot is neck bands that have crystals in them to soak up and hold water. You can get them at welder's supply houses locally. I got mine at the big welders supply on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. I carried a couple in doubled gallon size zip lock bags (they usually leak at the corners ) Seems the articles are true, keep your neck cooler, which cools the blood flow to your head, and your whole body feels better.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 15 Old May 17th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Take your time

Relax enjoy yourself, the bike will be fine.
Put 2 extra quarts of water in your trunk and leave them there, for emergency use only.
Like many others have said never pass a gas station when you are at 1/2 tank or under.
Keep your skin covered in the heat, the sun will beat you up fast. Also when you rest, stay outside but in the shade, sitting in an AC to long will drain you when you get back on the bike.
I find morning runs to be less tiring in the heat then evening, roll out at 4 run till 10, and you can have close to 500 under your belt. You can stretch that out with more breaks for a couple more hours and still be out of the afternoon sun.
Rock
post #10 of 15 Old May 27th, 2006, 3:14 pm

I got home yesterday on the same route you are taking. I did it in 3 days, close to 550 a day. It is getting hot when you get to Yuma, low 100s. Texas is humid!!

No problem with gas. I found that if the station is closed...smaller towns that the pumps are left on 24 hours if you use a credit card. Beware of the police on 10 in the Austin area, lots of pulled over cars. O tolerance for speeders.

I hit the road each day by 5 am and ended at 1:00 I would enjoy the day at the hotel/motel pool. Drink lots of Gatoraide or similar. Keep an eye on tire pressure and oil....

Very little road construction, afternoon showers.

Have a safe trip.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #11 of 15 Old May 27th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Thumbs up

Ahhh!
The first long ride. How I envy you. You'll never forget it .........
Stop every couple of hours and walk and stretch......you wont want to, but it's important.
drink, drink, drink.............dehydration will get ya' when you least expect it.....
and Have A Great Ride.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #12 of 15 Old May 29th, 2006, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod
I got home yesterday on the same route you are taking. I did it in 3 days, close to 550 a day. It is getting hot when you get to Yuma, low 100s. Texas is humid!! Have a safe trip.
Thanks for the information. Very handy! Where did you make your stops? Did you have advanced registrations? Any trouble finding accommodations on this route? Is there anywhere where the temp went down significantly? I'm planning to have some layers handy, but plan to primarily wear the mesh suit. Thanks again.

Dan

;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
post #13 of 15 Old May 29th, 2006, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I have made that trip several times (actually past Dallas second day). But, if you have not done any 800 mile plus days, you should not plan on doing two in a row, leaving yourself the option to stop ANY time you get too tired to keep going safely. Then if you do keep going, that is just fine too.
Part of the deal is that I am attending a working conference and need to show up ready to go, not beat up from the road. Depending on how I feel, I might do the return in two days, but we'll see.

Quote:
The fuel stops are pretty far apart from Yuma well into Texas. Hint: Carry one or two ESR fuel bottles, available at REI, or most camping stores. The one quart ESR bottle I carried really saved my butt big time once! My stops going east were usually Yuma, or Dateland (loved the date shakes there), then Lordsburg, then Van Horn. From there on to Dallas, fuel stops are more plentiful.
Thanks for the specific info. I bought two of the fuel bottles just in case.

Quote:
I wound up using mesh pants/jacket, with polypropylene (underarmour) underwear under it. if it gets cold, stop and put on Gerbings heated gear under it all.
I've got mesh jacket and pants, long sleeve underarmor top and 3/4 shorts (couldn't find full length,) light hiking pants and shirt. I'm carrying my Aerostich Darian and liner for cold/wet. Anything really get that cold on this route in June during the daylight?

Quote:
One thing I found that heps a LOT when it gets hot is neck bands that have crystals in them to soak up and hold water.
I'm going to carry some cotton t-shirts to soak in water as others have suggested if the heat gets to that point.
Thanks for all the advice. It really helps.

Dan

;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
post #14 of 15 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:02 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The cooling neck bands really help. Basically, you're cooling the blood that flows through major arteries in your neck, which has a direct effect on how cool you feel overall. Plus they pack small, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 15 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:29 am
Gold Supporter

Garage
I keep my Camelback in my Chicane bag and it is always handy. To avoid the first few hot sips from the bag, I always blow into the tube when I'm finished drinking and it moves all the liquid back into the back. It only gets hot when it's in the tube and exposed to the sun.

Spend the money for a hydrating vest. They soak for about 5 minutes and make a huge difference. I bought a Silver Eagle and won't leave the driveway without it. http://silvereagleoutfitters.com/shop/vests.htm.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in