new guy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 8:02 am Thread Starter

new guy

Howdy American living in Cozumel. Did not see where to introduce myself so will try here. New to BMW, new to forum.
Riding twelve years, two harleys, big Yamaha now 1200lt 1999 model.
Purchased four days ago in Merida Mexico, read this forum a bunch before purchase. I will say it is definately top heavy, Still did drop it in parking lot as rpm drop in middle of start out slight turn let us down, mechanic said hesitation caused by fuel injection cleaner. It is clearing out and possible I suppose but I am used to feathering throttle a little and going forward as normal. This bike seems to need a little higher rpm as it is not as responsive at low rpm. Been checked out and scoped as OK to go so guess it is just a matter of riding some more. Wonderful on the highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 8:12 am

Re: new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicoboy View Post
Howdy American living in Cozumel. Did not see where to introduce myself so will try here. New to BMW, new to forum.
Purchased four days ago in Merida Mexico, read this forum a bunch before purchase. I will say it is definately top heavy, Still did drop it in parking lot as rpm drop in middle of start out slight turn let us down, mechanic said hesitation caused by fuel injection cleaner. It is clearing out and possible I suppose but I am used to feathering throttle a little and going forward as normal. This bike seems to need a little higher rpm as it is not as responsive at low rpm. Been checked out and scoped as OK to go so guess it is just a matter of riding some more. Wonderful on the highway.
Welcome to the Forum. You'll find that the LT is a wonderful machine but definitely does not have the stump pulling torque of the V Twins at low RPM that you may be used to. Good luck with your new ride.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 9:28 am

Quote:
Yep, that'll happen Richard. Do a quick search on "air box temp sensor removal" and follow the procedure and you'll be good to go. In lieu of doing a search, hang around here a bit and someone will find it, or give you the instructions. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new-to-you bike.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks, will look for the sensor for sure. Most likely just need to get used to machine. We came off of the car ferry last night and the platform was rockin and a rollin, we did not dump it there but it was close. Have decided that when in doubt, walk it out.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 10:00 am

Hello Hermao and welcome de Mexico. Richard try going to: http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/ins...eos/15-k-bikes
this will help you with most of your repairs etc.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 15th, 2014, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: new guy

Well, thanks to Steve and his references to the Illinois folks. Took off the left side plastic and removed the air box sensor wire. Should be better but with the temps here in the 80,s anyway not sure if it is making much difference yet. It is almost as if it has to re-program a little bit to get used too it . Anyhow, most hesitation seems to be going away . It did die at one point at a tope (speed bump) but since then it seems to be adjusting.
Single best thing is that I removed the trunk and probably lost about 40 lbs of top heavy. Just like my Classic Electra Glide now and practicing figure 8,s and stuff I am getting tighter on the turns etc. It is kinda like a cafe racer at this point. Cool bike glad I have it.
Richard
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 15th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Well, thanks to Steve and his references to the Illinois folks. Took off the left side plastic and removed the air box sensor wire. Should be better but with the temps here in the 80,s anyway not sure if it is making much difference yet. It is almost as if it has to re-program a little bit to get used too it . Anyhow, most hesitation seems to be going away . It did die at one point at a tope (speed bump) but since then it seems to be adjusting.
Single best thing is that I removed the trunk and probably lost about 40 lbs of top heavy. Just like my Classic Electra Glide now and practicing figure 8,s and stuff I am getting tighter on the turns etc. It is kinda like a cafe racer at this point. Cool bike glad I have it.
Richard
Now that the air box temp sensor is removed, the ECU doesn't care what the ambient air temp is. It no longer recognizes +/- 86 degrees threshold that the primary mapping program recognized. And btw, IIRC, you should run high octane gas now.
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 15th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Welcome Richard,

See if you have an engine guard installed (photo). If not be very careful on topes as the stand assembly will hit first and it can break the mounts off the transmission. Most of the US sold 99's did not have this equipped from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine guard.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	49082  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 16th, 2014, 8:12 am Thread Starter

No transmission cover, really a pain to go so slow over topes , it does occasionally hit the stand just slightly. Will not be happy if worse than that of course.
I have another question, I have read most info on hesitation on the forum. I have a 99 with no brown wire but I did remove the wire to the air box sensor and remove the canister. The bike was no fault checked by the dealer (relative here in Mexico as to quality of that) People talk about removing the yellow thingi under the seat and I wonder if I should do that also.
Not a significant change but does seem better. Still has some stall like qualities sometimes at low speed. I am starting to think it may have a vacuum leak and will look at that next, hopefully not the fuel filter as that looks like a bear of a job.
Sorry for all the help questions but no real mechanics here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in