Question for Alaska riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Question for Alaska riders

Sorry, could not find an Alaska forum...
If I arrive by ferry in Whittier, AK, how can I get to Anchorage?
Few internet maps I have only show a railroad linking that city to the rest of highway system.
Is that true?
If it's, do you have any info on train transportation charges and operation hours?

Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Few internet maps I have only show a railroad linking that city to the rest of highway system.
Is that true?
If it's, do you have any info on train transportation charges and operation hours?

Thank you
Elton, IIRC, you can go by roadway from Whittier to Anchorage. Lemme check my trip papers from coupla years ago and get back to you. Seems we ran thru a tunnel near Whittier, after getting off the main highway. Be right back.
post #3 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Elton, IIRC, you can go by roadway from Whittier to Anchorage. Lemme check my trip papers from coupla years ago and get back to you. Seems we ran thru a tunnel near Whittier, after getting off the main highway. Be right back.

Now that you mention a tunnel I can guess there is one there is a road there, running side by side with the railroad for a few miles.
The maps I'm seeing show a road going nortwest of Whittier and then just railroad for few miles, then there is a road again...

Can a K1200LT ride it?

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #4 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Quote:
Now that you mention a tunnel I can guess there is one there is a road there, running side by side with the railroad for a few miles.
The maps I'm seeing show a road going nortwest of Whittier and then just railroad for few miles, then there is a road again...

Can a K1200LT ride it?
Elton - I've got CRS on this, since now I'm wondering if it's the road to Cordova that we used the tunnel for access? Dang - guess I'll have to wait for Cheryl to come home and see if she remembers. Stay tuned.
post #5 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Longest tunnel in North America. Yes you can get through. the tunnel is controled by traffic lights that allow one direction of traffic flow at a time.

I will be in the same area around the 26th of June.

If you haven't already get a copy of the Milepost everything you wanted to know by milepost. http://www.themilepost.com/

Order it on Amazon and get the Gazetteer too an fantastically detailed map.

Check link for schedule the tunnel schedule at Whittier

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whit...schedule.shtml

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

Last edited by dronning; May 15th, 2006 at 3:18 pm.
post #6 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 3:42 pm

yeah, what he said.

I'm doing Alaska this summer and, if I had realized there was a tunnel, would have gone to Anchorage and then through the tunnel to Whittier. As it is, though, I'm riding to Valdez and then taking the ferry from Valdez to Whittier, then to Juneau, then to Bellingham. Can't freaken' wait.

post #7 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Elton,

I didn't go thru the tunnel, but I took the best picture (in my humble opinion)on the western end of the tunnel. I have as my screen saver. Don't wory, many bikes ride thru it, just stay between the rails.
post #8 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the links Dave.
I'm planning my second trip to Alaska, in (I know... it will sound scary) Summer 2008...

What I would like to to this time is, instead of ridding all way there and back, get a ferry in Belligham to Whittier (looks like I will need a stop in Juneau), and them just ride back.

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #9 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Quote:
get a ferry in Belligham to Whittier (looks like I will need a stop in Juneau), and them just ride back.
How long is the ferry ride. I have a few friends that would love to make the trip but don't want to (or can't take the time) to ride the whole way, this might be an option for them.

Check out my website, I'll start to add my trip planning info over the next few weeks.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #10 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning
How long is the ferry ride. I have a few friends that would love to make the trip but don't want to (or can't take the time) to ride the whole way, this might be an option for them.

Check out my website, I'll start to add my trip planning info over the next few weeks.

Dave
Dave,
the ferry it self is not an option to cut time (unless your friends ride less them 300 miles a day )
I'm taking it because I want to see the inside passage AND have some more days at leasure on our vacation.
Any way, it will be like this:
Departing Belligham Friday 6PM
Arriving Juneau Monday 4:45AM
spend about 36 hours in Juneau (there is not connection available)
Depart Juneau Tuesday 5PM
Arrive at Whittier Thursday 7:30AM
So, give or taken, will be a week.

I read your web site and already bookmark it. I will keep an eye on your adventures.
Mean time you can check my alaska trip last summer:
http://www.viajareua.com/alaskaCanada.html
it's not like yours (I did in a LT, so many places you will be I could not even think about with 2 up), but maybe you can use some reference.

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #11 of 17 Old May 15th, 2006, 6:04 pm

yeah, what he said. I'm riding up from Chicago and will return from Valdez/Whittier/Juneau/Bellingham - it's five days on the ferry. 2112 miles from Valdez to Bellingham per Streets & Trips - 5 days, 40 minutes with 8 hour days. IOW, you're not saving any time. The ferry costs a lot more too, but figure that you'll be seeing some pretty cool sights along the way.

The pain in the butt thing about the ferry is that you really have to think about the route - their reservation system isn't smart enough to figure out the most direct route. You can't punch in Valdez and Bellingham as starting/ending points and expect the route to be the most direct, or not leave you somewhere for a few days. It took me a few days to figure out how to book my travel...
post #12 of 17 Old May 16th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Another 2006 Alaska Traveler

Here is my Alaska schedule. Any of you guys match up with it?

May 29 thru 31 - Getting to Alaska from southern Indiana 2771 miles 3 days. (Done more miles before - personal record is 3,800 miles in three days. I'm an Iron Butt freak when I have a destination)
June 1 & 2 - Fairbanks
June 3 & 4 - Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay and back (1038) weather ?????
June 5 - Fairbanks to pick up wife at airport
June 6 - Drive through Denali
June 7 - Drive Kenai
June 8 - Take Ferry from Whittier leaves 10PM (yes there is a tunnel)
June 9 - On Ferry to Juneau
June 10 - Transfer Ferry in Juneau to other Ferry to Petersburg (already been to Juneau)
June 11 & 12 - Ferry to Petersburg and stay
June 13 & 14 - Ferry to Ketchikan and stay
June 15 - wife flies out of Ketchikan I take ferry to Prince Rupert
June 16 - Halcyon Hot Springs (866)
June 17 - Glacier National Park (361)
June 18 - Chico Hot Springs and Yellowstone National Park (415)
June 19 - Sulphur Hot Springs (646)
June 20 - Back in southern Indiana (1107)
post #13 of 17 Old May 16th, 2006, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Why you prefer ferry North to South?
I notice that 3 of the last comments about riding+ferry to Alaska were/are planned in the way that the rider will go to Alaska and back by ferry.
Is there any special reason? are the fares less expensive North to South then South to North?
Am I the only only doing the Ferry first and then ridding?

The reason I choose it is that from my home the the ferry departure is less the 2 days. How many things can go wrong in two days?
Then I catch the ferry which I already pay and there is no refound 30 days before trip and get rid of it.
Now, if I have to ride 10 to 12 days and then catch a ferry that is already paid with no refounds, how are my odds to something goes wrong?
that was my line of thinking.
Mind to tell me why would you prefer the other way? Maybe there is something I don't know...
Thank you

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #14 of 17 Old May 16th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Mind to tell me why would you prefer the other way? Maybe there is something I don't know...
Thank you
I just thought it would be kind of relaxing for the route home. In addition,the route worked out more in my favor coming from Chicago. I wanted to see a bunch of national parks, including Banff & Jasper. It would have been a bit of a haul to see those parks and then head south to Seattle for the ferry.

I suppose I probably could have made it work either way - just wanted to do the "end of trip" thing. You're right, though, I have to be careful about my route and goof off days. I've built in four spare days - which I'll use throughout the trip. I've also built in at least two days that I could use as a reserve - Fairbanks to Deadhorse to Fairbanks. If something realy went wrong, I'd just give up on the Deadhorse part. You'd never get a ferry slot at the last minute.

post #15 of 17 Old May 17th, 2006, 3:24 am

North or South Bound Ferry

I understand the point of doing the ferry first. But for me it was a matter of matching my trip to the ferry and plane schedule.

I'm going from Whittier to Juneau on the ferry. I could do the reverse but the ferry schedule of going from Juneau to Whittier does not match up with the time frame I have for the trip and the rates for my wife's plane fare. For whatever reason it was $500 cheaper for the flight into Fairbanks and out of Ketchikan on the days that matched the ferry schedule going south.

Plus I can always put off some of the other things I have planned if I run into problems prior to the date the ferry is leaving.
post #16 of 17 Old May 26th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Whittier tunnel

Quote:
Is that true?

Thank you

Elton,

Try the Alaska BMW Club site, photos etc.

http://www.alaska.net/~bmwclub/whitt...e.htm#whittier

alaska.net/~bmwclub/whitter_tunnel_ride.htm#whittier

Also www.dot.state.ak.us/whittiertunnel
post #17 of 17 Old May 26th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Another one heading to Alaska

Zolman,

Looks like we'll cross paths a few days apart. Here's my charity run: http://www.alaskabikerun.com/

Currently, there are 7 bikers total, two LT's, two GW's and other assorted bikes. Once we get to Alaska, the two LT's head to Anchorage and the rest will head to Fairbanks and rent a car to Purdhoe Bay. All meet back at Fairbanks on the 12th of July to head back home thru Montana and Utah.

Since my daughter (15) is accompanying me, the LT was suggested to me by the salesman at Bob's BMW. I was looking at the RTs at the time. Now I'm confident my daughter will enjoy the trip due to the comfort and audio features of the LT!

Ward

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in