P.C. @ H-D - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2013, 5:41 am Thread Starter

P.C. @ H-D

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I do find it ironic how a motorcycle manufacturer who markets the idea to ride free and be unique gets so easily offended, even when one asks a simple and honest non-threatening question.
I was visiting the Harley Davidson website, checking on available accessories, and I decided to post a question about one of their products, mistakenly thinking it would be answered by some kind of CSR/HD employee. I simply asked what country was the origin of manufacturer for one of their wheels, and boy, in HD's subtle way, I got my pee-pee wacked.
I received what looked to be a standard corporate reply that a human body would have at least had to initiate after reading my question- much like a moderator on these forums. Here's the reply:
"HEY BIKERJ, Thanks for asking about the following product:
Slotted 6-Spoke 17 in. Rear Wheel
We're all about challenging the status quo and riding free. But we have a few ground rules we ask everyone to follow when it comes to our community. Unfortunately, your question wasn't quite up to snuff.
Take a minute to review our guidelines and resubmit your question."

Now, the best I can remember, their guidelines are pretty much the standard variety- no mentioning other brands, no offensive verbiage, no bad mouthing HD...yada yada yada. So, the best I can figure, somebody at HD felt either I was trying to instigate a bad public image for HD, or they believed revealing this information would hurt their public image or more importantly their sales. If this is the case, then the way they answered did them more harm than good. Even if it's not the case, the perception they left is just as bad. I will contact the corporate offices to get clarification.

As I began this post, I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. Harley Davidson is simply another publicly traded corporation, who's sole interests are to make a profit and appease their shareholders, yet they feel the need to market their products and philosophy in such a way that amounts to pure bullshit. It's just sad there are so few companies today who are genuinely appreciative of their customers. It's disappointing because clowns like these wave the American flag, encouraging people to buy "American". I understand that, and I agree with the concept, even when foreign sourced parts are utilized in the production of the core product. It's good for American workers, and it's good for the American economy, but when one considers Harley Davidson has been the recipient of govt. (taxpayers; YOU & ME) bailout that kept them from becoming extinct, then it should be realized such replies to a customer- a repeat one at that- is a slap in the American face.

Dependent upon Harley Davidson's response to this, they might be getting the same amount of support I've decided to give to GM (government motors)- ZILCH! Although, I will happily share my HD experiences at every opportunity.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Re: P.C. @ H-D

Asking country of origin is in fact threatening ... as you should know.

Everybody knows HD riders never shop at Walmart.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2013, 1:53 pm

First off the website you visited evidently has NOTHING to do with Harley Corporate and is most likely one of the many websites that use the HD name but are private sites.
Secondly a lot depends upon HOW you ask a question. Had you written you are shopping for a new wheel and found one you liked, BUT couldn't find country of origin anywhere, followed by a does anyone know if it is made in the USA? You might have gotten a different response. Asking the way you did can be taken out of context.
Now here is the kicker; Loads of MC related websites are strictly censoring content. There is a growing number of forum frequents that are not liking the internet BS that has become all too common. I have to admit I side with them in this respect. Forums have become a place for trash talking and not about the intended design of the forums which was to connect folks with something in common with each other. Forums are suppose to provide helpful resources, & share experience(s).
Probably worse is when you get some idiot with nothing better to do with their time, coming on a site and just posting stuff to stir the pot. In many instances these pot stirring individuals don't even ride, but they do cause folks who did frequent the site for the right reason, to depart.

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2013, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
First off the website you visited evidently has NOTHING to do with Harley Corporate and is most likely one of the many websites that use the HD name but are private sites....
I'd like to know how in the world you determined right off the bat the website I mentioned is not related to Harley-Davidson "corporate"?
here's a link to the same website with a summation of one of my questions that did get posted:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ontent=Default

Please let me know when you get to the part that's not HD?

Secondly, Ikchris, while I might have an idea of what you were implying, I'd really like to know WTF has Walmart got to do w/ the price of eggs in China?
I know when I or anyone else shops at Walmart, there's not someone blowing smoke up our asses claiming how great and "American" their products are. Sam Walton's heirs aren't trying to fool anyone. Last I saw, Walmart didn't have to be bailed out by the American taxpayers. HD sells "made in America" bikes w/ some foreign sourced parts. I get that. While I have supported the company w/ certain purchases, I have also refused to buy certain HD brand products because of their origin. Perhaps some see this as contradictory, but I choose not to buy their foreign made "farkles", seeing how they're not necessities to enable the bike to operate as designed. Is the oil filter foreign made? Maybe, which might be something I have to relent to purchasing if I can't find a domestic made one, but the oil filter is a necessity. What adds insult to injury is the high markups in their foreign made products, which I'm certain is what's kept the company afloat, after the bailout.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Dec 30th, 2013 at 3:52 pm.
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2013, 5:36 pm

bikerj, Well based on what you posted you asked a question about the product and since the REPLY said, "But we have a few ground rules we ask everyone to follow when it comes to our community, that would mean you asked your question not to Harley corporate, but to community members. You should look at where you asked about sizing... you'd have seen the replies come from owners, not corporate.
I still don't get your beef? Seems to me they were very polite replying to you, and again I'd suggest you could or should have asked the question differently. You could have asked "is this wheel made in the USA?" You may have still got the same reply, but at least the response was polite.
Seems based on your replies, you really didn't wish to discuss this, or how it happened. Let me know when you are done living the lifestyle and want a discussion on the stuff you post. Harley bashing is oh so last year....
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I love this site when it comes to all things HD.

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2013, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
...Seems based on your replies, you really didn't wish to discuss this, or how it happened. Let me know when you are done living the lifestyle and want a discussion on the stuff you post. Harley bashing is oh so last year....
I keep thinking being so presumptuous is "oh so last year", but then I haven't worried about going w/ the trend or being in vogue for quite some time, which is the impression you gave me of yourself w/ your comment. Are you suggesting people only discuss the flavor of the day? If so, what would that be? Phil Robertson being suspended from A&E's Duck Dynasty? Or wait- that was last week. He's been reinstated, so that's so....last week. out of style. never mind the real issue was an American's rights/liberties were being stepped on, but everyone on the right is always carrying on about that- so that must be so last year as well? Hmmm.
BTW, there's plenty of bashing going on about BMW. That's probably what 1/4 of this website is about. If you believe Harley Davidson doesn't have any shortcomings, then say so. I happen to think otherwise, and I believe one of the ways to fix them is for the customer to make known their concerns. Just like voters, who don't seem to get it because of the lack of communication w/ their elected representatives, which is most likely another topic "oh so last year".

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missusfinz View Post
I love this site when it comes to all things HD.

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/
Not sure why you posted this link, but I did skim over it, and while I actually agree with some of the author's opinions, I also noticed he's very "stereotypical" if you will, usually making comments in such a way where he's painting with pretty broad strokes, essentially lumping all HD owners into the same category/mindset. I got the impression he thinks "import bikes", as he refers to them, can do no wrong. Apparently, he has never visited this site or owned a BMW. His interests are narrow- he's fascinated with power, the related speed, and apparently doesn't stop long enough to smell the roses. Re: HD bashing, his focus appears to be on the sheeple of HD ownership- trashing those who continue to drink the kool-aide. He, nor anyone else, is going to change public opinion/mindset, specifically the type of HD owner who annoys him, to put it mildly. His efforts would be better spent trying to improve the integrity/corporate philosophy and products of Harley Davidson, though I imagine those efforts would too be in vain. If there's a part of society who wants to ride around on "noisy" flashy bikes, dressed like pirates, then that's their choice. Ideally, it would be nice if everyone could be respectful of others to the degree they don't ride around, opening their mouths in such a way that only shows their stupidity. Unfortunately, this kind of person exists in all walks of life, not just in the HD community.

If readers think this thread was initiated to simply bash Harley Davidson because they (the company) are Harley Davidson, then these readers are as backwards as the people the author of the above website rants about.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Dec 31st, 2013 at 12:52 am.
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 6:41 pm

bikerj, guess we come from different times & experience. I recall a time when I was much younger, much much younger, when if you happened to find yourself riding along behind some dude riding a Harley, you would serve yourself well by hangin with him for a while to learn a few ride tips. Non-riders didn't ride Harleys. During those early riding years people picked up their children and headed the other way when anyone on a bike rode in. Riders didn't have a great reputation with the general public.
Times have sure changed. Most of those riding HD's simply have some disposable cash, and good luck keeping some strangers kid away from your bike at a roadside rest stop. Oh and most of them ole HD riders can be found on BMW's these days.
My point is that it doesn't matter what some poser might say about BMW, Harley, Honda or any other brand. The important factor is do they ride? A couple miles or cross country doesn't matter, brand doesn't matter, they are fellow riders. Yep I still pull over every time I see some on the side of the road. So I am not real interested in brand bashing or your buddy Phil...
As to someone's liberties or rights? You probably need to know something about liberty and rights before bringing them up. Folks in the US have the RIGHT to say whatever they choose, BUT that doesn't mean it doesn't come without a price. I should know as I spent the first 20 years of my adult life defending them for you.
At the end of the day your reply affirms my suspicion that this was nothing more than a HD bashing post. Dang shame us old fella's didn't do a better job educating the newer generation of rider...
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 8:01 pm

I haven't been on my bike for nearly two months now.
I sure miss getting my wave snubbed by an HD rider....As I blast by!!!!!)
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 9:22 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by missusfinz View Post
I haven't been on my bike for nearly two months now.
I sure miss getting my wave snubbed by an HD rider....As I blast by!!!!!)
I would say that about 99% of riders wave back at me & I wave at everyone.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Teach,
If your lack of reading comprehension is any indication, then it's no wonder "your generation" didn't do any better of a job educating the newer/younger generations. Maybe you're only reading what you're wanting to read. As far as talking about liberties, I will say one more time you're being very presumptuous. You obviously haven't done your homework. While I didn't spend 20 yrs. wearing the uniform, I have spent the last eight years in the Middle East and SW Asia supporting those who do serve, ensuring they're successful in their mission- maintaining the status quo and our liberties, so you can continue to enjoy your pension and Tri-Care while you make yourself sound idiotic on these forums.

I hope you're not a professional teacher, otherwise, I see why the younger generations are so screwed up.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #13 of 13 Old Jan 1st, 2014, 12:18 pm

Ah I see you are one of those over paid SUPPORT people... What couldn't find a job not funded by the taxpayer for your skill set? I always love it when someone without the balls to put on the uniform preaches about RIGHTS and the Constitution. I particularly enjoy it when they try to use insult and innuendo to silence someone else.
So just to be clear because you've insisted twice my reading comprehension sucks.... Was this not a Harley bash thread? Nuff said.....

ps... Our younger generation is screwed up? Hmmm I wonder how you can maintain the status quo or be successful in the mission with all those flunkies doing the real work. Your words, not mine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in