Long Way Down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2013, 7:19 am Thread Starter

Long Way Down

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a Merry Christmas.
I see the upgraded website didn't do anything for better search results. Glad I wasn't disappointed.
Anyway, my cousin sent me the "Long Way Down" television shows. I realize it's dated, but this the first I had heard of it. For others who don't know, it's about two Brits (okay, one Brit and a Scott) who decide to travel from the northern most point of Scotland down to Capetown, S. Africa on two BMW dual purpose bikes. One of them is the actor, Ewan McGregor, of Star Wars fame, among others. His friend/riding partner Charley Boorman was very entertaining, and he appeared to be a very experienced rider. While the show was overall very interesting, I was somewhat disappointed, particularly with the first half of the episodes. Their hectic schedule, trying to get to the next stop, reminded me of my trips, and the kicker is they gave themselves six months of planning. My disappointment was the lack of sites/scenery videotaped, although I fully understand the situations they found themselves. It was also interesting to note they had one heck of an entourage, being the film crew and a doctor. Putting the video production tasks aside, the extra people at times came in handy, but other times made for more problems. These guys took approximately three months to go through 18 countries, yet with all the planning and support, still found themselves rushing through the trip, which they often noted.

They chose BMW's GS R1200s, which they realized were a little on the heavy side, but I imagine it had something to do w/ BMW providing the bikes as corporate sponsors, so perhaps the guys didn't have much say in their "choice of bikes". This wasn't their first trip of such proportions, so it's not like they were totally green in choosing suitable bikes and equipment. It seemed to me the smaller GSes would have suited them better for the road conditions they encountered, especially since they were each riding solo. One point I found interesting was they had terrible luck with the rear shocks/struts. Again, they seemed to have made an unwise choice because it wasn't BMW's struts breaking down, but an aftermarket brand, which they installed on the bikes during one of the first episodes. The bikes, themselves, were actually really reliable. Of course, they should have been, being brand new and covering I think approximately 15K miles.

I found the amount of profanity surprising, being the program was related to National Geographic, but maybe the DVD series was unedited. That being said, I thought it added to the realism of the show and the guys' characters. The second half of the episodes was a lot more interesting, due to more scenery/cultures/wildlife caught on tape. The show isn't a "how to", but it does reveal some good tips/things to think about for any rider pondering such a journey. I recommend it for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2013, 7:38 am

Re: Long Way Down

I recently watched both series on Netflix. Long Way Down was preceded by Long Way Around. The riders went from London to New York....the long way. I personally enjoyed 'Around' more than 'Down', but both were good.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #3 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2013, 8:31 am

I watched them earlier this year based on a suggestion from this forum. I had some of the same concerns as you but all in all I loved them both.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2013, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
... Long Way Down was preceded by Long Way Around. The riders went from London to New York....the long way. I personally enjoyed 'Around' more than 'Down', but both were good.
I also liked long way round better.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2013, 10:29 am Thread Starter

I need to hit up my cousin for the "Long Way Round". He's somewhat of a new rider. He started out with some kind of Honda cruiser, then he went w/ an HD cruiser, which he heavily personalized. I think it was this show that got him to thinking about long distance riding. Now, he's got that bug. He wanted to do a trip from Alaska down to S. America. I suggested we initially tackle something a little shorter- sounds like we might plan a lower 48 state adventure. We just gotta remember to enjoy each stop along the way, and not be overly concerned about the "completion".

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2013, 10:47 am

Check out this long way down...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68223

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2013, 3:37 pm

I have both, and liked "Long way Round" better. Wife did also.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in