BMW web sites...too much junk! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 4th, 2006, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

BMW web sites...too much junk!

Anyone notice that the BMW sites are the most screwed sites on the web? They're obviously spending Way too much overhead on their web site design...to the point that information is useless. Its mostly two tone or black and white. Its stark and cold and obfuscated and...useless. Lousy fotos cannot be blown up, videos are cranky and quirky. Out of the last 100 major sites I've been to, this one sucks the most.

Fire them all, I say! Hire someone who will give me the good stuff, and leave out the BS fluff.

Here's an example: Try to make out how the enduro wheels look in comparison to the off road standard wheels...you won't with the images on this site:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.de/com/de/sp...treetmoto.html

(rant still on!)

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 4th, 2006, 4:24 pm

Talking Hip, Hip, Hoo-ray

Yaaaaa .......Top of the Rockies.........you tell brother.
post #3 of 12 Old May 28th, 2006, 1:18 pm
Bouncer

Funny, BMW has an award for their website.

http://www.mbiweb.org/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old May 28th, 2006, 4:16 pm

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/

Try this one its works just fine,,good detail and all....

The site you posted is ok also, don't see the problem...

You might need to update that 386 to something a little more modern ........regards Pete
post #5 of 12 Old May 29th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Maybe I'm just too easy, but I don't really see a problem.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #6 of 12 Old May 29th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Just because BMW won an award for their website does not mean the website is good/quality or the best. It is all perspective and what other websites were considered.

I must agree with Pete. I have found over the last few years the BMW website lacking in many key areas and in some areas, useless.

The core principles of a website appear to elude the BMW website team
post #7 of 12 Old May 29th, 2006, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Proves my point!

"Funny, BMW has an award for their website."

The site I referred to is in German and a very edgy one designed to produce LUST in the customer...it did, but had no valid information. YMMV.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Re: BMW web sites...too much junk!

Being of advanced years...... I tend to think the cutting edge of the website, is what BMW gets by hiring "stylists" to design the look of their site (and their bikes too?) and then receive awards from "style judges"

I would be surprised if the "stylists" and webmasters were real motorcyclists. If they were, maybe the modern BMW (and lots of other brands, too) side cases would actually accomodate something as universal and practical as a laptop computor bag!

But then I still own two airheads, both with the old, square, unstyled side cases. I had to buy a smaller laptop, and smaller bag for it to fit in my oilhead side case. Test fitting the same in the LT was a challenge, but the LT did barely pass my "computer-commuter" test.

Stylists? Bah! Form over function, same as with an "Award winning" website that doesn't provide large, clear, well lighted photos of the product for consumers more concerned with how the product will function for them, rather than how it makes them "feel".

I've wanted to say that for a long time. I feel better now.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:01 pm
Bouncer

Wow. Way to resurrect a 2-and-a-half-year dead thread, Bob.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Don't know how you found this old post, but in the interim I did find a solution to my computer commuter! Since BMW didn't lead with an 800 RT, but went with the S, RS, GS and 650 GS, I bought a Kawi Versys a year ago, and 10k later I'm quite happy with it. Maybe it will wear out in a year or so and BMW will have finally caught on that an 800RT commuter is the one they should have gone for... a universal bike that old/young alike can like.

The best farkle added to the Versys is Pelican cases from www.cariboucases.com Pelican cases were designed to carry sensitive instruments in hazardous environments, and have done so for many years. They are far more indestructable that the HP, Jesse, BMW bags that have become popular. They are totally waterproof. The oil business and military have been one of the biggest customers for years.

I suggest you add one to the top of the top case on the LT. I thought about that, then even I thought that might be a bit ugly! I just bought another bike instead and added them:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vers w caribous 6 x 400.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	19604  

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:50 pm

And you choose to live in Wheat Ridge, Pete? With all of your taste I would have thought maybe Cherry Hills!
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 1:50 am Thread Starter

The bike deserves Cheerie Hills; I deserve Commerce City! But I'm 20-30 minutes closer to the big hills due to living in this farming community.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in