Learn Garmin BaseCamp (for Beginners) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Learn Garmin BaseCamp (for Beginners)

This is an invitation to those wishing to Learn Garmin BaseCamp.

I have created several Tutorial videos that begin with a beginning level and move forward to more advanced levels, currently there are 15 videos. Should interest continue and with input from others...we will move forward with more advanced methods to use Garmin BaseCamp and your Garmin GPS to create data, routes, waypoints and POI for your motorcycle traveling adventures.

Garmin Mapsource was great, I loved it...but things change...Garmin has not updated MapSource since Oct 2010...and will be phrased out. As long as you continue to use your present computer, present GPS you can continue to use MapSource, however with any new updates, upgrades, new computer or GPS unit...one day you will find that it not longer works.

Garmin BaseCamp is free download, works with Garmin GPS units....once connected it shares the technology of the connected GPS unit and deliver the proper data to that attached GPS. Many, including myself, feel there is a sharp learning curve to BaseCamp. The only intend of these videos is get you over the learning curve.

For the past few months, I have presented these videos in select groups and forums... I find myself running from forum to forum to answer questions and replies. Therefore, four or my friends from the MTF (Motorcycle Touring Forum) who have great knowledge about Garmin BaseCamp have joined together to create a discussion forum.. Learn Garmin BaseCamp. The forum is located on Delphi Forums, a free use forum...the link below will direct you to that forum. Please look at the Welcome folder to find information and tutorial video on how to use the Delphi Forum.

Join, register, create profile and be a part of the discussion. Invite your friends to join the learning experience.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/GarminBasecamp

Don G Norwood

MTF, BMWMOA (Ambassador), IBA, BMWMOAL, BMWMCGA, BMWROC, BMWLT

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

Last edited by BamaLT; Oct 22nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 5:54 pm

Re: Learn Garmin BaseCamp (for Beginners)

Thanks for doing that for us. I really appreciate it!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 6:51 pm
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Learn Garmin BaseCamp (for Beginners)

Wow, great.. thanks Don. I've been struggling trying to make route maps with Basecamp for a driving trip through UK next year... managed to get something of a set of routes together but it was sheer luck and I don't really understand what I did... I know there must have been easier ways but just couldn't get my head around their design thought processes!
Looking forward to viewing the tutorials.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:18 am

This is a good tutorial.... thanks for taking the time to create these lessons... Where do you get all that data? Is there a central database for the data? There is a lot of good stuff in your data that others would like to "steal shamelessly"...

Thanks

2012 R1200RT
2009 GTV 250
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkyle
This is a good tutorial.... thanks for taking the time to create these lessons... Where do you get all that data? Is there a central database for the data? There is a lot of good stuff in your data that others would like to "steal shamelessly"...

Thanks
I use that My Collection for my Resource File... you will see that most of that data can be stored in EXTRAS ...depending on GPS unit...and takes very little space...always loaded in your GPS when you need it... I will do more advanced lessons on Extras and POI loader in the future..

POI Factory... http://www.poi-factory.com/ millions of POI....

Routes ...from my history of rides and events..

Combination of data from MapSource. Street and Trips.. the beauty...it now stored in front of you... just manage the folders and list... further in the videos I show how to create a clean new My Collection... good for different GPS or different type riding...or events.

Hope this helps...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 6:39 pm
Old Dawg

Don this is great stuff! Thank you so much for doing this

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Add three more videos...

Move some discussion from an forum to the new Learn Garmin BaseCamp Central station....

Hope these help also... come join the discussions.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #8 of 8 Old Dec 14th, 2013, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Past few months, we continue to add more information related to GPS unit, BaseCamp information and links..

We have a great team of moderators with some familiar forum names. These guys are amazing and each has very much knowledge of GPS units and BaseCamp.

One such is heading up the OFF Road section with Tracks, another leading the way with Mac (apple) application...and others have vast knowledge in both why it works and how it works (IT folks)....all have great BaseCamp skills.

We continue to add videos and photos to concentrate certain topics.

This is a free forum with the intend of helping Motorcyclists get over the learning curve for BaseCamp and then progress to more advanced lessons and techniques.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/garminbasecamp

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in