Campers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2013, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Campers

Anyone here familiar with campers that also haul motorcycles? Not for an LT but one of my older airheads. Thinking about something for my retirement. Be able to travel with the camper and ride the bike on day trips. No hurry, still got to work awhile. Just dreaming maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2013, 3:23 pm

Re: Campers

They're sometimes called toy haulers.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2013, 6:22 pm
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
Anyone here familiar with campers that also haul motorcycles? Not for an LT but one of my older airheads. Thinking about something for my retirement. Be able to travel with the camper and ride the bike on day trips. No hurry, still got to work awhile. Just dreaming maybe.
We have a Outlaw RV that does exactly what you want unless you want a trailer type camper then you would indeed look for a Toy Hauler as mentioned above.

http://outlawrv.com/

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 28th, 2013, 12:25 pm

The solution you're looking for is called a Toy Hauler. Essentially it's either a tow behind or fifth wheel trailer with a large cargo space at the back (10 to 12 feet) with a drop down ramp for loading and unloading your motorcycle or ATV. Once it's empty the ramp can be raised up creating a wall and the space can be used as a sit in dining area (You provide the card table and chairs) or, an auxiliary bedroom. Some have fold down cots that hang from the wall. Others allow you to leave the ramp down and there's a nylon wall with screening and a privacy panel that snaps into place where the ramp was.

With that said a few comments. #1 it takes up 10 to 12 feet of living space. A 24 foot Toy hauler will only have about fourteen feet of nicely appointed living area. The rest is a ten foot bare bones garage. If you want more living space you are getting a much longer trailer - up to a 31 foot fifth wheel. A solid, full-sized SUV should be able to handle a tow behind, but you'll need a good 1/2 ton pick-up for a fifth wheel trailer. (New truck and new trailer=beau-coup bucks!)

On the plus side - your bike is protected while traveling and it can be sheltered while being serviced. Once you're parked, the tow vehicle and motorcycle become your means of getting around.

My wife and I gave the toy hauler some serious consideration, but realized that a long trailer was never going to make it back to our house. The driveway is narrow, unpaved 3/4 mile long lane with a few sharp curves thrown in for good measure.

Our solution was to buy a short Class "C" Winnebago (24') and a 12 foot utility trailer. The RT goes on the trailer and have all of the interior of the RV for living comfort. We've done several long distance trips (6000+ miles) in this manner and have no complaints.

What about mileage? The RV gets about 8-9 mpg. My best friend's Ford F150 towing a 28 foot trailer gets about 8-9 mpg.

I have no experience with the Outlaw RV that was mentioned, but I assume it's a cross between the full RV and the Toy hauler. I would guess that it has the same pros and cons as already mentioned.

If you opt for trailering the bike behind a small RV, consider the Winnebago Via. The Mercedes diesel engine delivers 18-22 mpg. However, on the Sprinter chassis, it is a bit confining.

With the Toy Hauler, should you travel, God forbid, without your bike, what will you do with the empty garage in the trailer? My wife and I have no issues packing up the RV and taking a long weekend at a nearby park w/o the bike, just to sit back and relax. (I just came back from five days at Assateague just sitting at the beach and chilling out.)

You didn't mention how many people will be traveling with you and that can be a major factor in what you end up doing. For my wife and I, we're pretty happy with what we've done.

Finally, pay a visit to a local dealer. See what they've got and take some serious time to think it through. It can be tempting to buy something that you'll only use once a year for it's exact purpose and all the other times consider what you should have bought. caveat emptor

Good luck.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
We have a Outlaw RV that does exactly what you want unless you want a trailer type camper then you would indeed look for a Toy Hauler as mentioned above.

http://outlawrv.com/
Ditto on the outlaw. I was looking into this myself for retirement. Thing rocks.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 2:26 pm
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Ditto on the outlaw. I was looking into this myself for retirement. Thing rocks.
We sure love ours, here we are heading to Death Valley:

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in