Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fpmlt
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JK75RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, MN, USA
Posts: 263
Smile Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Last weekend I drove the new Chieftain. What a great job by Polaris! The engine has amazing low end torque. The suspension provides a nice smooth ride. Fit and finish were done first class.

I am not switching, but Harley has a quality competitive option now to face. That is good for the consumer.

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper
JK75RT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 1:55 pm
Senior Member
 
lkchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Posts: 1,012
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

They already had that competitor with Victory. Polaris is just piling on more "image," which I suppose is commendable. They'll be an air cooled alternative.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
lkchris is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 1:58 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Northern hemisphere
Posts: 594
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

World is full of new bikes, new models. So what...?

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
C-A-D is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 4:11 pm
Senior Member
 
fpmlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,175
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Geez CAD, that's just rude. The guy's simply sharing an experience. I was going to post that I got to ride an Aprillia Tuono yesterday, and would have shared that it's a BEAST and incredibly comfortable. But now I think I'll just keep that to myself.
Scubadoc likes this.
fpmlt is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Senior Member
 
RonHolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FLorida, USA
Posts: 474
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Just looked up a pic of one. Doesn't hold a candle to the BMW's! Probably noisy and looks like so many others out there.

2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012
RonHolly is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Senior Member
 
wa1200lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 2,745
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Geez CAD, that's just rude. The guy's simply sharing an experience. I was going to post that I got to ride an Aprillia Tuono yesterday, and would have shared that it's a BEAST and incredibly comfortable. But now I think I'll just keep that to myself.
Ho hum. (yawn). Who cares?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
wa1200lt is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Senior Member
 
fpmlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,175
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

You, sir, are a mean mean man. And mean mean men suck.
And while I'm certain that you don't care, I only hope that you ARE concerned.
fpmlt is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 8:21 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy
 
Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Idyllwild, CA, USA
Posts: 2,012
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

I rode the first model back in about 2000 I think. Pretty crude. I want to try a new one. Certainly not a bike that I would own, but what the heck, it's fun to ride just about anything.

When I do I'll post about it here. See if I get ostracized. Oh wait, I'm already riding an off brand.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
Jim is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 8:25 am
Senior Member
 
AlaskaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hillsboro, OR, USA
Posts: 3,136
Talking Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I rode the first model back in about 2000 I think. Pretty crude. I want to try a new one. Certainly not a bike that I would own, but what the heck, it's fun to ride just about anything.

When I do I'll post about it here. See if I get ostracized. Oh wait, I'm already riding an off brand.
And just what's wrong with that Jim?
(See my Sig below.)

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlaskaFish is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 4:46 pm
Member
 
radarcarve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Belen, NM, USA
Posts: 94
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D
World is full of new bikes, new models. So what...?
Everyone knows that the Finns have no sense of humor, or happiness. I guess it comes from all the long cold nights. As for myself, I love to hear about new bikes... makes me want to go out and ride one. Looks like it is almost as cold in BC, for the Canucks are getting in with the disparaging, although I think that in their case it may be the damp. I guess I should keep my own test rides to myself... no, I can't... I rode a new Royal Enfield (the military model) and loved it. Brought back waves of nostalgia, although the shifter is on the wrong side. Everyone knows that shifters should be on the right.

1970 BSA 441
1979 Yamaha 350 Exciter
1952 Ariel 350 Red Hunter
1946 Ariel 500 Red Hunter
1949 Velocette 350
1950 AJS 500
2001 Harley Softtail
2004 BMW R1150rt
2006 883 Sportster
2007 Vstar 1100

another 2004 RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1969 Moto Guzzi 750
1970 Moto Guzzi 750
radarcarve is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy
 
Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Idyllwild, CA, USA
Posts: 2,012
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
And just what's wrong with that Jim?
(See my Sig below.)

John

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
Jim is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old Oct 19th, 2013, 12:50 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wilmington, NC, USA
Posts: 747
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Always interested to hear what other experienced think of new stuff and how it compares.

Even though, in my case, I despise everything about the traditional air cooled V twin or its copies- from its sound to the overweight pig chassis it gets put into in most cases.
Still, variety is a good thing so we can all find the one that suits our taste and all those opinions and experiences help me figure out what to seriously consider. So keep those frank evaluations coming...

Down here, its not the cold or damp that warps our sense of humor- its fried brains in the summer. But- fall is here and great riding is upon us once again....

Club Oktoberfest at my place tomorrow- shrimp boil with our local shrimp that is the best in the country IMO (GA guys do good but theirs are a bit softer and less flavorful), German beer, assorted other goodies..
racer7 is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old Oct 28th, 2013, 10:30 am
Senior Member
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,630
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHolly
Just looked up a pic of one. Doesn't hold a candle to the BMW's! Probably noisy and looks like so many others out there.
Yeah, it won't compare. Probably won't have problems with final drives, FPCs, switchgear, cracked fuel pump flanges, $2500 clutch jobs, fuel strips...

Ponch


"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
Ponch is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:10 am
Senior Member
 
copperstatetour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Avondale, AZ, USA
Posts: 794
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

I demo'd a 'vintage' Saturday and it was nice, not for me, but nice. I like that they come standard with a bunch of nice features like cruise control and the keyless ignition and the torque is certainly overkill but I'm not putting a deposit down anytime soon. As for looks - gotta love the fender skirts, fringed saddlebags, wide white walls and chrome, and fender ornament.

The main reason I went out was to make a guy I work with jealous, he has one of the California Indians of a few years back and has about 7,000 miles because every time he rides it gets laid up for 4 or 5 months while he scours for parts and time to fix whatever broke - mission accomplished.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
copperstatetour is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:42 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , ,
Posts: 332
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHolly
Just looked up a pic of one. Doesn't hold a candle to the BMW's! Probably noisy and looks like so many others out there.
Really?

I had the opportunity to ride a new Cheiftan at Sturgis this year and very much liked the bike, in part, because it doesn't "look like so many others out there".
DakotaDude is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 5:40 pm
Senior Member
 
hallzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gold Country, CA, USA
Posts: 2,571
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

I think they're cool looking, and may give Harley another competitor - but IMO they're just going to further dilute a dying market. If you're under 50, you probably have NO interest in owning this bike (nor Harley).

I think they've built a new model for a dying demographic....

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
hallzee is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old Dec 10th, 2013, 1:24 pm
Senior Member
 
CWRoady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brea , CA, USA
Posts: 911
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

I finally saw them last weekend at the Long Beach IMS. As one that thought they looked pretty cool in the writeups and photos, I was underwhelmed in person ... probably just a result of checking them out after seeing the NineT (I know, targeted to a completely different market).

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CWRoady is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old Dec 14th, 2013, 8:35 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Posts: 2,119
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

'm one of the founding members of our local Victory chapter so I get called into duty for all the Victory and Indian Demo rides. Since the fellas always like my road choices I also get to lay out the demo routes.
With that said I got to spend a lot of time on the Indians during the two days we demo'd them here and if I was in the market for a second bike, I'd own one. Not a BMW but it doesn't pretend to be.
Harley is going to have their hands full for a while which is good because Indian will bring back the old rivalry that frankly Victory never got off the ground with. I will say I prefer the bare bone Chief to the Chieftain, just more fun to ride and I already own a tour bike.
Teach is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old Dec 14th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Senior Member
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,630
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
'm one of the founding members of our local Victory chapter so I get called into duty for all the Victory and Indian Demo rides. Since the fellas always like my road choices I also get to lay out the demo routes.
With that said I got to spend a lot of time on the Indians during the two days we demo'd them here and if I was in the market for a second bike, I'd own one. Not a BMW but it doesn't pretend to be.
Harley is going to have their hands full for a while which is good because Indian will bring back the old rivalry that frankly Victory never got off the ground with. I will say I prefer the bare bone Chief to the Chieftain, just more fun to ride and I already own a tour bike.
I like the Vintage, but it's too bad they didn't use the triple clamps/steering angle from the chieftain on the other bikes so they handle better.

Ponch


"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
Ponch is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old Dec 16th, 2013, 9:31 am
Senior Member
 
copperstatetour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Avondale, AZ, USA
Posts: 794
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

i would go in for the vintage myself, but my biggest complaint about the new Indians is the monotone paint scheme. The first thing I would have to do if I bought one is to pull the panels and add cream paint - this is just what I think of when I think of an Inidan:

and not just because it's on blocks and broken down

I must say that I think they have done a good job preserving the appearance of the bike.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
copperstatetour is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old Dec 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Posts: 2,119
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

I believe you'll see some of the MORE original paint coming back along with some things totally new to Indian in the next TWO years. For example if you know Polaris history with the Victory you'll note it took 2 years to get a tour pack and adjustable floorboards for the passenger. I think you'll see two tone paint and the aforementioned items coming for certain models within two years.
All things considered I think Indian did a GREAT job in reproducing the Iconic Chief and adding a totally new to Indian motorcycle model (Chieftain). The differences between the two base models and the Chieftain are HUGE. And the new motor keeping with the original Indian motor design... great job!
I am not parting with my RT but I still appreciate a nice motorcycle when I ride it and I really enjoy riding the new Indians.
Teach is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old Dec 16th, 2013, 8:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
JNW003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northridge, California, USA
Posts: 1,389
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

So, which of these Indians did you ride?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Indian 1.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	46162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Indian 2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	710.9 KB
ID:	46170  
JNW003 is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 6:01 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Posts: 2,119
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Both of those Indians are nice looking, but trust me... I'll take the modern version just to avoid all the side of the road repairs. Reminds me of the saying "the good ole days." They might have been good at the time but now that bikes are WAY more reliable, it somehow loses any semblance of reality, lol. We really are SPOILED for choices these days.
Teach is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 8:32 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Hi...I'm just throwing it out there but the Indian is a pretty cool ride.I don't research stuff,I just buy it! ...I joined this site because I was searching web on why my Indian chieftain radio sucks!.. Ended up on reading posts and figured since I own a BMW I might as well join.

My long rides and cold day rides I'll take my Harley road glide ultra.......40 to 100 miles rides Indian chieftain...Throw down ride my Ducati Diavel ......BMW k1200rs if I want it smooth .
porsche is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 11:56 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Milford, Ohio, USA
Posts: 152
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Both of those Indians are nice looking, but trust me... I'll take the modern version just to avoid all the side of the road repairs. Reminds me of the saying "the good ole days." They might have been good at the time but now that bikes are WAY more reliable, it somehow loses any semblance of reality, lol. We really are SPOILED for choices these days.

The 'good ole days" were only good because no one knew better..
Ron02LT is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:20 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,432
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

The "good ole days" have come to Boerne - new Indian dealership in a spankin' new, fully outfitted showroom, with vinyl layered wood floor and kiosks for display of apparel and personal farkling items. Only offering 2014 models at the moment, with 5yr warranty - butt soon as they're gone, then the crates of 2015s in the back room will be opened and sold with 2yr warranty. Only a couple of 2014 bikes are on hand - one with hard saddlebags and one with leather sidebags and seats. Air-cooled and with ABS (that front wheel ABS ring would just barely fit over my wrist!!). I have a GW rider friend who sez his squaw promises to keep the teepee clean and the peace pipe stoked if he'll bring the bright red Vintage model home!!
Dick is offline  
post #27 of 33 Old Sep 14th, 2014, 11:14 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bonner Springs, Kansas, USA
Posts: 76
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Great! I hope Indian makes it. Wish the reborn Excelsior Henderson would have made it.
When competition is low so are our choices. I personally think they're a little to Retro tacky. The Victory Vision is not. JMO. They need to to design a modern Indian.

Y2K LT Canyon Brown
07 Suzuki Burgman Exec
joeybolz is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 6:47 am
Senior Member
 
2wheeljunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 676
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcarve View Post
Everyone knows that the Finns have no sense of humor, or happiness. I guess it comes from all the long cold nights. As for myself, I love to hear about new bikes... makes me want to go out and ride one. Looks like it is almost as cold in BC, for the Canucks are getting in with the disparaging, although I think that in their case it may be the damp. I guess I should keep my own test rides to myself... no, I can't... I rode a new Royal Enfield (the military model) and loved it. Brought back waves of nostalgia, although the shifter is on the wrong side. Everyone knows that shifters should be on the right.
When did Vancouver, Washington State become a part of Canada? (Unless I missed a post somewhere). And I love to hear about new bikes as well, my love of bikes grew from my first ride on my father's Indian in 1956. I was probably about 8 years old and I couldn't wait to be able to drive a bike someday. Eight years later I had my first bike.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2wheeljunkie is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 8:12 am
Senior Member
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,630
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybolz View Post
Great! I hope Indian makes it. Wish the reborn Excelsior Henderson would have made it.
When competition is low so are our choices. I personally think they're a little to Retro tacky. The Victory Vision is not. JMO. They need to to design a modern Indian.
Victory's are an acquired taste. They look like they were designed by the Nesses on LSD. HDs are still classic and the Polaris Indians are trying to capture where they left off in a modern way. The interesting thing is that when John Hoover took over the Vulcan line, they designed the Classic/Drifter/Nomad to look like what a modern Indian would look like. In some ways Kawasaki got it better. The New Indian is a bit of a caricature.

Ponch


"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
Ponch is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 11:45 am
Member
 
Jdsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Marion, Iowa, USA
Posts: 48
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

I test drove a 2104 cheftain in Dec.. was a warmer cold day.. She was a sweet ride that left me wanting more

Almost bought a 2015 two tone Blue/white... Very pretty and very nice..

I never driven a V motor and My feet sticking out there to shift felt very different. In fact i missed the shift the first time cause I didn't have my foot forward enough.

It had "plenty" of pep, faster then any Harleys out there factory made.
Probly would take any BMW out the gate...What do they say , "there no replacement for displacement.."
Wonderful low speed control for turns (took it to a large empty parking lot and did some serpentines to try it out).

.....Yada yada

What I've been noticing over the years with BMW's is that they've become more of a fleet bike, we just get temporary ownership of them.. Can you really change the looks of em after all anymore.... Used to be able to swap tanks out for smaller /bigger sizes..ect...add your fairing ride or ride it naked(the bike that is) Whatever your mood was for...

The Gt/ gtl and other of the Bmw big bikes has a basic look that you can't change.... I don't want to..... but we used to have that option...

Maintenance/service on an Indian is so much easier. And they got some good reliability facts behind em.. And if its good enough for jay Leno............
For the common layman we have to take BMW's in to get serviced anymore cause of all the special equipment the shop has and too costly for the individual.

The only thing that sold me, was BMW was light years ahead on the tech stuff... But then that can be bad thing--too much to go wrong...

Only time will tell if I made the right choice. That what life is about isn't it, "Choices".

J Sova

2014 BMW K1600GTL-E- white and gold--
2014 Ural Red October GearUp 2WD sidecar --yr
Past sidecars -2
Past 2w bikes -9 Marion, Iowa

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
Jdsova is offline  
post #31 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 11:53 am
Senior Member
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,630
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsova View Post
I test drove a 2104 cheftain in Dec.. was a warmer cold day.. She was a sweet ride that left me wanting more

Almost bought a 2015 two tone Blue/white... Very pretty and very nice..

I never driven a V motor and My feet sticking out there to shift felt very different. In fact i missed the shift the first time cause I didn't have my foot forward enough.

It had "plenty" of pep, faster then any Harleys out there factory made.
Probly would take any BMW out the gate...What do they say , "there no replacement for displacement.."
Wonderful low speed control for turns (took it to a large empty parking lot and did some serpentines to try it out).

.....Yada yada

What I've been noticing over the years with BMW's is that they've become more of a fleet bike, we just get temporary ownership of them.. Can you really change the looks of em after all anymore.... Used to be able to swap tanks out for smaller /bigger sizes..ect...add your fairing ride or ride it naked(the bike that is) Whatever your mood was for...

The Gt/ gtl and other of the Bmw big bikes has a basic look that you can't change.... I don't want to..... but we used to have that option...

Maintenance/service on an Indian is so much easier. And they got some good reliability facts behind em.. And if its good enough for jay Leno............
For the common layman we have to take BMW's in to get serviced anymore cause of all the special equipment the shop has and too costly for the individual.

The only thing that sold me, was BMW was light years ahead on the tech stuff... But then that can be bad thing--too much to go wrong...

Only time will tell if I made the right choice. That what life is about isn't it, "Choices".
How is it up there in Marion? I used to live in Waukee before moving to AZ.

I like the Indians, but they are a little rich for me right now as would be the HD. I'd want at least a chieftain or Ultra. May be a leftover Cross Country Tour would be the ticket. Or not. We'll see.

Ponch


"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
Ponch is offline  
post #32 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 1:08 pm
Member
 
Jdsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Marion, Iowa, USA
Posts: 48
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
How is it up there in Marion? I used to live in Waukee before moving to AZ.

I like the Indians, but they are a little rich for me right now as would be the HD. I'd want at least a chieftain or Ultra. May be a leftover Cross Country Tour would be the ticket. Or not. We'll see.
We finally got some snow here in Marion.........
Indians rich for ya... ha ha...
well I just got a K1600 this Dec. Talk about being to rich...yeah gads the price ya pay....


Weather was only good enough to take the K1600 in Dec from the shop into my garage 40 miles away..

J Sova

2014 BMW K1600GTL-E- white and gold--
2014 Ural Red October GearUp 2WD sidecar --yr
Past sidecars -2
Past 2w bikes -9 Marion, Iowa

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading~" Thomas Jefferson
Jdsova is offline  
post #33 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 1:31 pm
Senior Member
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,630
Re: Drove a 2014 Indian Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsova View Post
We finally got some snow here in Marion.........
Indians rich for ya... ha ha...
well I just got a K1600 this Dec. Talk about being to rich...yeah gads the price ya pay....


Weather was only good enough to take the K1600 in Dec from the shop into my garage 40 miles away..
My RT was 19 with the topcase out the door. That's a lot less than what they are going for now.

Ponch


"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
Ponch is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Indian sheldan2 Humor 1 Mar 5th, 2011 8:44 pm
Indian Name gunny Humor 6 Jun 16th, 2010 8:43 pm
Indian Country redux icepick Ride Tales 9 Jan 26th, 2008 5:36 pm
Indian wisdom NOGILLS2 Humor 0 Aug 22nd, 2007 8:53 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome