Sidecar - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Sidecar

Hello, my name is Bear Campbell. I've been riding a Ural rig for several years but I wanted something with more power and comfort for long trips. I found and purchased a used Astro Sport (late 90's model) and would like to mount it on a 2005 LT. I've been having a little trouble getting information from Hannigan and was wondering if anyone had some pictures of a Hannigan mounted to an LT so I can see how and where it mounts.
Also, can anyone tell me how much trouble it is to do maintenance on the LT with the car mounted? I know the maintenance cost on a BMW isn't cheap, so I'm checking my options.
Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 6:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Sidecar

Hi, welcome aboard Bear. Those Ural's are nice, but I don't don't know about a long trip on one. We had a /2 with an R100 motor & a Velorix sidecar 25 years ago. We did a few out of state trips on it, but it was about all that rig could do.

We now have an Astro 2+2 on our 2002 K1200LT. I don't have any pictures of Hannigans mounts on the K1200LT. But, I have done maintenance on our rig both with the sidecar on & off. In the end it is faster to take the sidecar off, then do maintenance, then put it back on. I change the brake fluid every year, & doing it with the sidecar on is a pain.

I hope this is of some help. Patric

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Patric. I know it's will be a pain. That's why I posted the help. I hope some will come forward with pictures and maybe some instructions and diagrams.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 11:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear
Hello, my name is Bear Campbell. I've been riding a Ural rig for several years but I wanted something with more power and comfort for long trips. I found and purchased a used Astro Sport (late 90's model) and would like to mount it on a 2005 LT. I've been having a little trouble getting information from Hannigan and was wondering if anyone had some pictures of a Hannigan mounted to an LT so I can see how and where it mounts.
Also, can anyone tell me how much trouble it is to do maintenance on the LT with the car mounted? I know the maintenance cost on a BMW isn't cheap, so I'm checking my options.
Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.

I don't have any pictures to share, just a recommendation.

If you haven't already, I suggest heading over to advrider.com and navigating down to the "hacks" sub forum. There is a dedicated and knowledgable group of folks over there, as well as professional sidecar builders, that can answer pretty much any questions you might have. They know pretty much everything there is to know about mounting sidecars on various type of bikes.
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 1:44 am
Super Moderator

I have an Astro Sport mounted to a K1200GT - while it is not an LT you can get and idea of
where they mounted it. Let me know if you can some pictures.

A friend of mine here on the form (Doc Edkin) has an LT and it is mounted with an Hannigan
Astro 2+2 and he has over 120,000 miles on the rig with the side car attached. Let me know
if you are interested in pictures from him as well - I can ask.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2013, 10:51 am Thread Starter

Well, I've decided to keep the 05 LT and mount my Astro Sport. I just received the mounting kit but I think it is missing a bracket and the templates for the mounting holes, Hannigan is aware of this. They had just a couple of photos on the installation. If anyone has some good pics showing the struts and their location and if possible some with the plastics off, I would greatly appreciate it. I also took the bike out for a ride the other day and I can hear a clicking sound from the motor that disappears on acceleration and then a louder clicking sound on deceleration. Any ideas? The bike only has 23K on it with regular service. The bike is new to me.

One more thing, Where can I get some flat tread tires for the LT and will I need to get different rims? It is useless to have regular MC tires with a sidecar.

Last edited by wildbear; Oct 29th, 2013 at 10:58 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in