New Indians - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 10:28 am Thread Starter

New Indians

Curious about thoughts on the new Indians? I find myself surprisingly intrigued by them (certainly not as a replacement for my RT though). Everything I have read so far seems very positive about performance and the right mix of new and old ... hope I win the drawing they have on Monday for one :-)

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 8:42 pm

Re: New Indians

More joke motorcycles is all.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 9:40 am

I always wonder how they recoup their investment in R&D and production. Just who is the market for them? 70 year olds? I'm 59 years old and I don't remember the original Indians. Seems to me it's a very small niche market since I think they all have the same retro look, just some models have some leather fringe added, etc.

I can understand how people can put them down but their new engines are supposed to be 100% their own, not some camouflaged Harley clone.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 11:00 am Thread Starter

New 1811cc motor is supposed to have 119.2 lb-ft of torque, matched to a 6 speed tranny mounted in an aluminum frame ... I am not a fan of the fringe, but I like the looks of the Chieftan (bagger with adjustable windshield, ABS, cruise, electronic windscreen) alot.

I look forward to hearing real world reviews after they have been around for a year or so. Probably rent one once they become available, just for grins.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
I always wonder how they recoup their investment in R&D and production. Just who is the market for them? 70 year olds? I'm 59 years old and I don't remember the original Indians. Seems to me it's a very small niche market since I think they all have the same retro look, just some models have some leather fringe added, etc. I can understand how people can put them down but their new engines are supposed to be 100% their own, not some camouflaged Harley clone.
I know what you mean. They were pretty much obsolete during my upbringing, although I had read and heard about them, I don't recall ever seeing anyone riding them.

Polaris bought the name and the rights. They think the name is an icon, and that's what they're hoping will sell some bikes. I imagine most people who do buy one will be buying the other "legend". They are nice looking bikes, and it sounds like they might incorporate a little more technology than HD ever thought of doing. I hope Polaris puts a sizable dent in HD's sales with the Indians. Maybe that'll get HD's attention to update their products a little. I read an article about that new engine. It looks pretty nice. It's odd being in USA, land of choices, that there's been very few "American v-twin" manufacturers, mainly HD and Victory. HD might assemble their bikes in USA, but it's done with imported parts, which ain't nothing new, but they would tend to let you believe something different. For that matter, they're not much different than a Honda built in Tennessee.

I wonder how long before Polaris will be successful with the new Indians before some native-American tribe wants to sue because they feel "offended".

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Garage

I actually liked the look. The riding style isn't my thing, but the bike is a nice looking machine.

Timothy Allen
2017 R1200RT
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I wonder how long before Polaris will be successful with the new Indians before some native-American tribe wants to sue because they feel "offended".
Speaking as a proud member of the Chickasaw Nation I can tell you it only adds to the desirability from my perspective.

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

post #8 of 15 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I rode on the back of a couple of the original (50's) ones in the 60's, a friend of mine had. They had the suicide clutches on them as I recall. They rode and handled every bit as good as the Harleys in that time. I actually thought they looked a little cooler with the indian logos on them. Kinda like one of those same thing only different kind of things.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:28 am

I really like the models with the long flowing fenders. For some reason, that just looks cool. I also like the Indian Chief graphics.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #10 of 15 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 2:18 pm

As a machine its just a clone bike with all the positives and negatives (mostly that) of any cruiser.

As such it has no appeal to me and ought to make all the euro makers happy- one less possible competitor with their offerings so their market share growth is protected.

I wonder how Polaris folks think this won't badly hurt their Victory sales- or maybe they don't care since that brand didn't make them any money until recently and they think this is a better bet.

It seems to be aimed at the Harley crowd which certainly doesn't include me. Wonder if there are enough old timers or newbie closet Indian fans to make it work. I do remember Indians (the brand eventually sunk by its workers large scale thefts from the factory among other woes) and they really were not that great for the era that finally saw their demise.

I like the old head replica on the fender as a styling bit- a reminder of the old days when even Beetles had a nicely done factory crest up front and there was some real art on older Packards, Pontiacs, Olds, etc, not to mention RR. But you can't ride paint and decorations.
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 8:03 pm

[QUOTE=bikerj]I know what you mean. They were pretty much obsolete during my upbringing, although I had read and heard about them, I don't recall ever seeing anyone riding them.

The first time I ever had a ride on a motorbike was on an Indian. I don't know the make or model, but I was about 6 or 7years old, so that would be 1954-55. I imagine the bike was made sometime in the 40's. My father was driving it and I was happily sitting on the big seat behind him. They would probably throw the driver in jail today for not having a child's restraint seat. I don't know whatever happened to the bike, guess it got sold before I was old enough to get my hands on it. I remember years later taking my father for a ride on my 1972 BMW 750, and him hanging on for dear life behind me. I sure wish I had both of those bikes today.

post #12 of 15 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Indian Motorcycles showed at Sturgis this year with all three models of their 2014 lineup.

I had the opportunity to take a 15-mile test ride on a "Chieftain" (handlebar fairing and hardbags) and, I have to say, I am impressed with the bike. The fit and finish is first rate, the ride is quite comfortable (the Chieftain model has air-adjustable rear suspension), and the power is way beyond adequate with119 lb/ft @3000rpm from the 111 cu in (about 1860cc), liquid cooled V-twin.

Other amenities include ABS brakes, tire pressure monitoring system, cruise control, on board computer, 100 watt stereo, remote locking hard bags (removable), keyfob ignition, electronically adjustable windshield, 26" seat height, and a base price of $22,999 which is about $13K less than the previous generation Chieftain. Wet weight is about 850 lbs, GVWR is at 1385 lbs.

There is no travel trunk availibility yet, but, that will probably be offered in on future models. A heel/toe shifter would be nice also. There are a few "dress-up" accessories available which add nicely to an already beautiful machine.

I would like to have the bike for a 200 mile run to gauge the long distance comfort of the driver and passenger seat.

Would I buy one if I had the $25K (including a few accessories)?........in a heartbeat.

IMHO, the Chieftain is, hands down, the nicest looking bike on the road, has all the technological features to satisfy an old-school guy like me, and Polaris has included a 5-year, unlimited mileage, fender-to-fender warranty. Their bikes appeal for me lies in their distinctive, immediately recognizable style and you are not riding another Harley clone. Also, people tend to forget the Sturgis Rally & Races was originally founded by a group of guys racing Indian cycles, not Harleys; Indian possesses a pedigree Harley will never have.

Time will tell if Polaris is successful with the Indian........I certainly hope so. They have made a very commendable first year debut with the Chieftain, Chief Classic and Chief Vintage.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-u...email&WT.mc_id=
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Good write-up on Polaris's Indian investment in the latest issue of Motorcyclist .

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Just finished the write-up in Motorcyclist and I have to admit, if I didn't already have a 2013 RT, I would have serious thoughts about the Indian.
They look great the the impressions by the mag staff is quite positive.
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDude
...Other amenities include ABS brakes, tire pressure monitoring system, cruise control, on board computer, 100 watt stereo, remote locking hard bags (removable), keyfob ignition, electronically adjustable windshield, 26" seat height, and a base price of $22,999 which is about $13K less than the previous generation Chieftain. Wet weight is about 850 lbs, GVWR is at 1385 lbs...has all the technological features to satisfy an old-school guy like me, and Polaris has included a 5-year, unlimited mileage, fender-to-fender warranty...http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-u...email&WT.mc_id=
Thanks DakotaDude for the link. That Chieftain is a sharp looking bike, and it's got that long flowing fender I like. Polaris should be able to hit one out of the park with this, especially with the 5 yr, unlimited mileage warranty.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in