Instead of waiting for a new LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Instead of waiting for a new LT

Just came across this recently:

BMW C EVOLUTION
Welcome to the future! BMW Motorrad presents the first near-production prototype of an e-scooter: the BMW C Evolution. The new e-scooter is the intelligent response to growing traffic volume, increasing energy costs and ever more stringent CO2 limitations. In the pilot phase, several test vehicles will be put into operation in real conditions.

This is what the future looks like: designed for commuter traffic between the suburbs and the city center, the C evolution has a powerful motor, with a continuous output of 11 kW and a peak output of 35 kW, offering lots of riding fun. With a maximum speed of 75 mph and impressive acceleration capabilities, it supremely handles highway travel and overtaking maneuvers - even with a passenger. Thanks to its low center of gravity, the riding experience is characterized by extremely light handling and excellent slow-running properties - a particular benefit in metro traffic. What's more, a high-performance brake system with ABS ensures maximum safety.

The enormous storage capacity of the high-voltage battery (8 kWh) provides a range of up to 62 miles. Another impressive feature: in the ideal case the charging time when the battery is completely flat is less than three hours. The battery is charged via the integrated charging device, either at a regular household socket or a charging station.

In terms of recuperation (energy regeneration), the BMW C evolution is absolutely groundbreaking. As a rider, you do not have to actively initiate energy recuperation since the vehicle does this automatically whenever possible. Depending on riding style, the range of the e-scooter can be extended by 10 to 20 percent.

http://youtu.be/fOIDguhHrzM

Perhaps it may be a good alternative while waiting for a new LT?

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge

Last edited by bjedruszczak; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 11:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 6:37 pm

Re: Instead of waiting for a new LT

A few weeks ago I was in Ohio visiting my girlfriend's parents. Whenever we go back there, here father and I always go to the local motorcycle shops just to check and see what's being offered by all the bike manufacturers. At one of the shops they had a couple of large all electric scooters made by Vectrix. I think they were 2007 or 2008 models. These originally sold for $9,000 and the battery pack's estimated lifespan was 10 years or 50,000 miles. A couple of years ago we went to the same shop and they were selling them for $4,000. The ones I saw a few weeks ago were the same scooters and still hadn't sold. When I asked what they wanted for them now, I was told $2,500. I said I would take one for a $1,000 jokingly, at which point the sales guy went to go check with the boss. The more senior sales guy stopped my sales guy and wanted to nail me down on that deal for a $1,000, saying if the boss took the deal then I would take the scooter. I told him that I was from out of state and just visiting so it would cost a bit just to ship it back to AZ, so I told him no.

But if I lived in OH I would have jumped on that deal in a heartbeat. The Vectrix has all kinds of nice features like regenerative braking, reverse, and just plugs into a regular wall outlet. Range is between 35 and 55 miles, top speed is 62 mph and it recharges to 80% in just 2 1/2 hours. Maintenance, besides tires and changing the brake fluid every few years, I don't think there is any maintenance. Even if I got a year or so out of it before it went belly up, for that price I would be happy.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/vectrix.htm

Last edited by azccj; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 6:44 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 9:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
Just came across this recently:

BMW C EVOLUTION
Welcome to the future! BMW Motorrad presents the first near-production prototype of an e-scooter: the BMW C Evolution. The new e-scooter is the intelligent response to growing traffic volume, increasing energy costs and ever more stringent CO2 limitations. In the pilot phase, several test vehicles will be put into operation in real conditions.

This is what the future looks like: designed for commuter traffic between the suburbs and the city center, the C evolution has a powerful motor, with a continuous output of 11 kW and a peak output of 35 kW, offering lots of riding fun. With a maximum speed of 75 mph and impressive acceleration capabilities, it supremely handles highway travel and overtaking maneuvers - even with a passenger. Thanks to its low center of gravity, the riding experience is characterized by extremely light handling and excellent slow-running properties - a particular benefit in metro traffic. What's more, a high-performance brake system with ABS ensures maximum safety.

The enormous storage capacity of the high-voltage battery (8 kWh) provides a range of up to 62 miles. Another impressive feature: in the ideal case the charging time when the battery is completely flat is less than three hours. The battery is charged via the integrated charging device, either at a regular household socket or a charging station.

In terms of recuperation (energy regeneration), the BMW C evolution is absolutely groundbreaking. As a rider, you do not have to actively initiate energy recuperation since the vehicle does this automatically whenever possible. Depending on riding style, the range of the e-scooter can be extended by 10 to 20 percent.

http://youtu.be/fOIDguhHrzM

Perhaps it may be a good alternative while waiting for a new LT?

BJ
If I was old enough for a scooter, I'd just get a Wing instead!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 9:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj
A few weeks ago I was in Ohio visiting my girlfriend's parents. Whenever we go back there, here father and I always go to the local motorcycle shops just to check and see what's being offered by all the bike manufacturers. At one of the shops they had a couple of large all electric scooters made by Vectrix. I think they were 2007 or 2008 models. These originally sold for $9,000 and the battery pack's estimated lifespan was 10 years or 50,000 miles. A couple of years ago we went to the same shop and they were selling them for $4,000. The ones I saw a few weeks ago were the same scooters and still hadn't sold. When I asked what they wanted for them now, I was told $2,500. I said I would take one for a $1,000 jokingly, at which point the sales guy went to go check with the boss. The more senior sales guy stopped my sales guy and wanted to nail me down on that deal for a $1,000, saying if the boss took the deal then I would take the scooter. I told him that I was from out of state and just visiting so it would cost a bit just to ship it back to AZ, so I told him no.

But if I lived in OH I would have jumped on that deal in a heartbeat. The Vectrix has all kinds of nice features like regenerative braking, reverse, and just plugs into a regular wall outlet. Range is between 35 and 55 miles, top speed is 62 mph and it recharges to 80% in just 2 1/2 hours. Maintenance, besides tires and changing the brake fluid every few years, I don't think there is any maintenance. Even if I got a year or so out of it before it went belly up, for that price I would be happy.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/vectrix.htm
Wow, that is desperation. Who will fix it when it breaks and the manufacturer is defunct?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2013, 8:24 am

My local dealer is having the same problem selling Zero's. He is selling 2 year old, new bikes for $4500, half of their original sales price.

Ultra LT
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I guess zero not only refers to how much gas they use but more importantly what they are worth a couple of years after manufacture.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2013, 11:33 pm

It appears always the case that discussions about wonderful new often electric technology is always about commuting.

So, here we are on a forum dedicated to mostly BMW's biggest bikes and we have a thread about inner city commuting?

Really, nobody's going on a cross-country ride on one of these over-hyped bikes, nor I imagine are they ever even going for a fun day riding twisties.

The contrast is between a guilt-trip vehicle and fun motorcycles is it not? I know my interest in the former is less than zero.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2013, 11:15 am

I'll keep waiting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in