Best way to deal with an out of state buyer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Best way to deal with an out of state buyer?

I have a buyer interested in my bike. He would like to drive in ( probably 3 hrs), make the transaction, and ride the bike home.

What is the best way to handle the deal. I prefer cash, or accompanying him to a bank to draw a Bank Check so I'm sure it's not fraudulent.

Do I do the deal at my home or a more public place? This is a fairly good size transaction and I may be overly leery, but I'd like to be as safe as possible.

What do you all think?

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Re: Best way to deal with an out of state buyer?

well when we do a craigslist type of deal at my house I make it very obvious that there is another person inside the house just so they no someone else is there... I also have the item outside the garage before they arrive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Good point, I was thinking of getting a friend to sort of hang around well.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"

'12 R1200RT

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 7:20 pm

I would suggest that you do the deal at the license/motor vehicle department. That way you can take your plates off and they can apply for a transit permit to ride the bike back home. I have sold numerous vehicles and bikes and I never let my plates go with the new owner. Too much liability. I did a fly and drive to California when I purchased a dump truck. The owner took his plates and I applied for an in state transit permit to get me out of California safely and then used that and bill of sale to get the truck to Texas. Just my two cents.
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Last two bikes I bought was at the persons home. Gave them cash (I'd take only cash and a good buyer will bring cash and not try to pay with a check) and slapped my plate on it and rode it home.

One in state I rode home without a plate, as that is 100% legal to transport a new vehicle home without a plate.

Unless you think your buyer is a serial killer I don't think you will have any problems. Do you get a feeling that they are shady and untrustworthy?
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

No he seems pretty genuine, and hopefully everything will go smoothly. I probably am just being over cautious. But better safe than sorry.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 10:52 pm

I've sold a bike at my home and purchased a bike out of state (flew there and road it back home). Both transactions went smoothly, but I also took precautions.

For the sale at my home:
- I Googled the buyer's email address and found posts where he had purchased other equipment
- I also kept the garage door locked and told my wife to not open it under any circumstances

For the out of state purchase:
- I faxed a copy of the bank check and the business card of the banker so they could verify
- I asked for a lot of pictures of the bike, close ups, opened compartments, etc
- My local dealer ran the vin number to verify maintenance
- I passed on any seller who was not 100% cooperative

Trust your gut, several people around here got robbed, in plain sight. They did a deal at a mall parking lot only to have bad guys show up pull out a gun and tell them to walk away. If your BS detector goes off don't ignore it.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 7:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks Gruivis,

That's all good advise. I'm a retired Firefighter and I may do this deal at my old Firehouse. The guy would have to be nuts to try anything with half a dozen Firemen watching, and it would also keep the whole thing away from my home.

Most of my deals have been at dealerships where I just traded my old bike on something newer. And I've never sold anything this new, so I guess I'm just skittish.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 7:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

All of the above are good... I'd call the local Department of Motor Vehicles and ask them the proper legal method of vehicle transfer.

Be very careful with cashiers checks... They may not be guaranteed and if forged, the bank can go back to you for the funds. I only take money orders or cash, unless I'm holding the goods till all checks clear and that can take several weeks.

Check on your insurance to make sure that you are covered in the transition. Check the buyers license for a motorcycle endorsement.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Hey Dan,

Thanks. I've printed out a generic motor vehicle sale form from the net ( even though here in NY we just transfer the title), but more is always better.

He is going to be coming in by train so I've offered to pick him up and bring him to a Capital one where he has an account so that I can see the check being issued. That's as safe as I can be. He's asked for the VIN and most people post it with their ads on eBay so I guess there is no harm there.

After that I'm going to give him my keys, service records, and a quick intro to the RT and wish him well. He's got his own plate for the trip home so I'm thinking I've pretty much covered my bases here.

Thanks for all of the input everyone, sad we have to be so wary these days but times are what they are, and were not talking about pocket change with these motorcycles!

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer
Thanks Gruivis,

That's all good advise. I'm a retired Firefighter and I may do this deal at my old Firehouse.
This is a very good idea, plus if the guy is a good fellow he will enjoy seeing the firehouse.
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
Last two bikes I bought was at the persons home. Gave them cash (I'd take only cash and a good buyer will bring cash and not try to pay with a check) and slapped my plate on it and rode it home.

One in state I rode home without a plate, as that is 100% legal to transport a new vehicle home without a plate.

Unless you think your buyer is a serial killer I don't think you will have any problems. Do you get a feeling that they are shady and untrustworthy?
This is the way to do it. No matter how many times they as to bring a check, tell them cash only. Counter checks from an out of state bank? Are you kidding me?

Take your plates off before the bike moves. If they are trailering it doesn't matter and if they are riding home they should bring their own plates OR a proper DMV Transport Permit. It is simple enough to do and not your problem.

In Virginia, you cannot cancel the insurance policy on the vehicle until you turn turn in the plates. Never let a buyer ride off with your plates. I have a friend who sold his car to a guy across town who promised to return the plates that afternoon ..... after tracking that weasel for a week he got his plates back. Trust no one when money is involved.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

This may all be a moot point, I think I'm getting cold feet on the sale. I've been thinking that it was time to sell as I don't really ride as much as I used too, but then looking at the odometer I still put nearly 6K on the bike last year and already have almost 2K this season even after 14 inches of rain in June!

I have a few friends who recently have been involved in accidents with distracted drivers, and kind of convinced myself it was time to hang it up. Little incidents at this age seem to result in far worse injuries than we used to get.

But even with all that, I'm having serious second thoughts and may just call the whole thing off.

I'd hate to wake up on that perfect morning, and think wow, what a great day to ride, and then realize that I have nothing in the garage.... Maybe I'm not really ready yet.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer
I'd hate to wake up on that perfect morning, and think wow, what a great day to ride, and then realize that I have nothing in the garage.... Maybe I'm not really ready yet.
I sat on the sidelines for about a year after having to sell my 03 due to financial reasons.
All aspects of that sale sucked -
- selling the bike and watch it being trailered away
- wife snatching proceeds of sale out of my hands
- new owner sending me pics of him riding the bike down Deals Gap
- watching TV Saturday mornings thinking about riding
- etc

Just something to think about

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

That was the problem, the more I thought about it the more I thought it might be a mistake.

I also started thinking that in a year or so when I give in and go to buy another bike, my air / oil cooled RT won't be made anymore.

I've got 5000 miles until the next major service and I just put new Michelins on at the 6K service, The bike is mechanically and physically perfect. I kind of figure what the heck why not just keep it, and that's what I'm going to do.

The buyer was disappointed as he knew he was getting a good one, but he was good about it. I wished him luck in his search.

I may not be as into riding as I once was, but I do still like to ride on those perfect days. And you never know, the day might come when I want to go touring again too, which is what this bike was really made for.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Think about the advice given on this thread, only from the buyer's perspective. If I was traveling alone by train and had no other transportation, and the seller insisted I carry $15K (or whatever) in cash and do the transaction at a place of his choosing where he had plenty of friends hanging around, I'd probably pass.

Last time I bought a bike it was from an out-of-state seller who was extremely cautious, to put it mildly. I handled my end of the transaction about like Gruivis did and it went smoothly. My credit union issues cashier's checks with a hologram -- a nice security feature -- so I took a photo of it and emailed it to the seller so he could call and verify it (somebody on this thread mentioned a counter check, which is a different animal entirely - no way any sane seller would take one). In these transactions both buyer and seller have reasons to see the sale go through but both also have reasons to be wary.

post #17 of 18 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 3:02 pm

All very good advice given. I'd like to add one suggestion that I learned from experience. Take quality photos of the bike before it leaves, preferably include the buyer in one of the shots so there's no doubt as to when the photos were taken.

I had one buyer ride my LT home, that was from New Jersey to western Ohio. He also kept in touch and emailed me for several months about his cross country rides and how much fun he was having. Then, one day, he says a drive seal was leaking and would I contribute $300 of the 5 or $600 repair he was quoted. He insinuated that maybe the bike was leaking before he bought it! Not only did I find that incredible that he would suggest such a thing, I reminded him of how many months and miles he put on it before he noticed a leak and told him if it was leaking all this time, he should have had a catastrphic failure on one of his rides by now... I also reminded him that he did a full check of the bike in my driveway and I made a point to show him my garage floor which was clean as a whistle and I had remarked that none of my bikes leak oil. (I also had a 33 year old bike in there)

My last buyer had the CLC transported from my home (NJ) to Michigan by a shipping company and when it arrived it had over $5,000 damage from falling over in the trailer. The trucker at first tried to say it was damaged when he picked it up, but I had photos of it as it left and they helped a great deal in the new owner's insurance co paying him in full.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Last bike I sold involved a test ride - totally understandable. For my own protection I asked to see, and photographed, they guys driver's license to verify he was motorcycle endorsed. That got me all the information I'd need to find him later should I need to. And while this may not apply in your case, I've also photographed the vehicle license the buyer shows up in, again, just in case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in