Curveitis - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2013, 7:45 am Thread Starter

Curveitis

Got back from a 1400 mile motorcycle trip and ran into something, and I'm wondering if it's a 'thing'. (Well, 'ran into' is a poor choice of words)

I've got a BMW K1200LT and it's a beastly machine. Folks here have gotten them to lean far enough that the pedals scrape, then the center-stand, then the fairing(!). I'm not that talented.

I'm deep into a segment of the trip and everything's just peachy. The speedlimit is such that 10-15 over is ideal for the corners, the music's great, the temperature is great, everything is perfect. Then we must have crossed over into the next county, or the guy laying out the roads had a bad morning or something. I find myself leaning tighter and tighter into the turn and it keeps getting sharper and sharper (decreasing radius), and I'm clearly entering it too hot. I'm talking to myself saying "dig it in, dig it in", and I manage to get through the turn, leaning the bike over farther than I probably ever have before.

You can see the lean level on the photo I took the next day:

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr

Anyway, I spent the rest of the trip with an uneasy feeling due to the scare. If I powered through the feeling, I could hit the curves and do okay, but it still really wierded me out.

I've also found that there are certain conditions (down hill, right turn, so you can't see what happens, it's obscured by the mountain) really freak the crap out of me.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tell me to 'Man up and move on!'?

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2013, 8:18 am

Re: Curveitis

I rode 120,000 LT miles, and learned early on that for me riding faster than I could safely transit what I could see ahead can result in too much excitement!

Twice things happened to me like you experienced, once an off camber, decreasing radius turn, and the second time a sand wash in the turn just out of sight when I started in pretty hot. That last one convinced me to only ride what I could see!

I rode with the San Diego BMW Owners Club for a few years, a really good group, and sometimes I would ride with the "Fast" group. I would usually end up at the back end of that one. I would slow down in the corners, and catch up in the straights. They once asked why I would not trust them and keep up in the corners. My answer was to avoid the chance of coming up on a pile of BMW parts in the turns! I was always worried about what was around the corner that I could not see, stalled vehicle, slow truck, SAND, WATER, etc..

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2013, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Twice things happened to me like you experienced, once an off camber, decreasing radius turn, and the second time a sand wash in the turn just out of sight when I started in pretty hot. That last one convinced me to only ride what I could see!

I rode with the San Diego BMW Owners Club for a few years, a really good group, and sometimes I would ride with the "Fast" group. I would usually end up at the back end of that one. I would slow down in the corners, and catch up in the straights. They once asked why I would not trust them and keep up in the corners. My answer was to avoid the chance of coming up on a pile of BMW parts in the turns! I was always worried about what was around the corner that I could not see, stalled vehicle, slow truck, SAND, WATER, etc..
I have to agree with your choices. I used to be a hot dog when I was in my twenties on some hopped up Kaws, but with age comes understanding of just how vulnerable we are.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2013, 10:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Well the good news is you ate your chicken strips like a good boy! I have to say that I ride what I can see. I've had a few loose gravel or sand just out of sight, reducing radius turns or wrong camber or a combination thereof. I'm getting to the point of avoiding pucker factor moments. Ride your comfort level. Trying to ride to suit those around you or what you think others would do is dangerous. It's like getting too far out over your skis, it won't end well. Relax and enjoy the ride. That's why you ride in the first place, right?

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2013, 4:49 pm

Go back, find that curve and run it again. Seriously. Turn around and run it again. Your brain will figure it out, your skill will go up and that bad feeling will disappear.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in