Sunoco non ethanol gas near my home - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 10:14 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Sunoco non ethanol gas near my home

There is a Sunoco station a few miles from my home that sells non-ethanol gas for about $1.00 more per gallon. I just filled up and it came to 4.65 a gallon.

Would it be better to just add some "additives" to each tank vs pay an additional 4-6.00 per fill up?

I could not tell any difference on my ride back, but it will be interesting to see if my mileage changes. I'm presently averaging between 40 and 41 miles per gallon as per the bikes computer.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 11:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Sunoco non ethanol gas near my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
There is a Sunoco station a few miles from my home that sells non-ethanol gas for about $1.00 more per gallon. I just filled up and it came to 4.65 a gallon.

Would it be better to just add some "additives" to each tank vs pay an additional 4-6.00 per fill up?

I could not tell any difference on my ride back, but it will be interesting to see if my mileage changes. I'm presently averaging between 40 and 41 miles per gallon as per the bikes computer.
Be careful Dan. Big Brother is watching!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Be careful Dan. Big Brother is watching!
Message should have been encrypted
Don't want these northern gas gouging getting any ideas. It likely to spread like a wild fire.
Dan was the octane rating still the same?
ride safe

post #4 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I can't remember. It was listed as the highest octane on the pump. When I stop by the next time, I'll check. There are a lot of similar stations through Florida and I'll try to use them as often as possible.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 4:32 pm
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

The ECU compensates for ethanol, and protects the engine to the extent that it can. And there is no way of knowing if you are actually getting what you think you're paying for, short of capturing a sample and having it tested.

Lucas octane booster and fuel conditioners more than compensate for the corn-liquor.

While out west, I was forced to get a tank of 85 Ethanol at one of the closed stations in Wyoming where they leave the pumps on for CC users. That was the only pump left on, and the GS was on fumes after several hours of 50-70 mph crosswinds, with not another fuel source for 200 miles. Somewhere north of Sweetwater and South of Wind River Canyon. Dumped in a heavy load of Lucas O-Booster and some fuel conditioner I carry when traveling, and the GS never knocked, run hot or failed to answer the call for more throttle; which I seem to do a lot of.
post #6 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 7:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Pure-Gas.org lists 6,720 stations that offer Ethanol free gas in the US and Canada.

They also have iPhone/Android apps.

None near me, I'm afraid, but the app makes it easy to look when I'm traveling.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
And there is no way of knowing if you are actually getting what you think you're paying for, short of capturing a sample and having it tested.....
The test for alcohol in fuel is easy using just a test tube (or similar). Put a small amount of water in the bottom - like about a 1/4 inch). Nearly fill with the fuel sample, put your thumb over the end and shake the whole mess for a minute.

Let it settle & see if the water/gas line has increased. If it has, there is alcohol in the fuel.

Water will "suck" any alcohol out of the sample, as it would much rather mix with water than with a pure hydrocarbon. That's why E10 etc will become contaminated with any water it can get to very quickly. In Florida you should be suspicious of any sample.

Pilots with piston aircraft engines (about half of all single engine aircraft can use MoGas) use this test a lot. E10 is a no no in aircraft.
post #8 of 13 Old May 24th, 2013, 10:10 pm
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
Let it settle & see if the water/gas line has increased. If it has, there is alcohol in the fuel.
Simple straight forward self test, I love it, thanks.
post #9 of 13 Old May 25th, 2013, 11:22 am

Garage

All these things are good to know.
One can perform these tests on one's home turf if one frequents the same water hole every time. But on the road looking for gas is a different story. As you all know gas quality varies by region and the brand/terminal it is coming from. In my neck of the woods BP, Dutch Shell, Martin are pretty common place and are usually accompanied by 10% alcohol. In the east I see a lot of Exxon, and Hess, Ashland oils down south I see more unfamiliar names too.
ride safe
post #10 of 13 Old May 25th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Dan,

I have been running the Sunoco non ethanol gas now for over a year in my bike, law mower, and yamaha boat motor. I pay more per gallon at the pump, but have have had zero fuel related repair problems and repairs. Also, my bike's mph increases on the non ethanol gas.

Boat motor repairs for ethanol gas problems can be expensive. The additional cost per gallon is not an issue for me.
post #11 of 13 Old May 25th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-One
Dan,

I have been running the Sunoco non ethanol gas now for over a year in my bike, law mower, and yamaha boat motor. I pay more per gallon at the pump, but have have had zero fuel related repair problems and repairs. Also, my bike's mph increases on the non ethanol gas.

Boat motor repairs for ethanol gas problems can be expensive. The additional cost per gallon is not an issue for me.
Typo!
My mph increases with a flick of the wrist try it cheaper than gas.
If you want increase mpg then you doing the right thing
ride safe
post #12 of 13 Old May 30th, 2013, 11:55 am

It's good to remember that ethanol is an octane enhancer and in most respects a better alternative than tetraethyl lead.

The point is, gasoline today blended without ethanol is going to require some other treatment to maintain octane and whatever refinery creates this brew must do that. It's not just a matter of skipping a step.

Octane is simply a measure of ability to avoid pinging/detonation and you need it. If you actually believe your electronics can compensate for lower octane, that's fine, but it will without question do it in a way that reduces performance and economy. Of course there are benefits to avoiding ethanol, but you still need the octane.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #13 of 13 Old May 30th, 2013, 12:30 pm

When I tried non-ethanol fuel. My bike was much more difficult to start.

Told the service manager at the dealership (I didn't tell him I put in non-e fuel) and the first thing he asked me is did you use non-e fuel? Of course I answered yes. He said they had had other bikes that had been in with the same difficult start problem who had used non-e fuel.

I promptly returned to Chevron Supreme and the symptoms promptly disappeared once the non-e fuel was gone.

I was highly surprised.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in