Squids ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 4th, 2013, 3:27 am Thread Starter

Squids ?

Some of the things Americans say and some of the terms they use can be very confusing to people like me a South African. I get the meaning of the word Squid when used in reference to a rider who rides like a total idiot with no consideration for other people ( we have names for them which I cannot divulge here) but where and how was the word Squid derived from ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 4th, 2013, 8:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Squids ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillo
Some of the things Americans say and some of the terms they use can be very confusing to people like me a South African. I get the meaning of the word Squid when used in reference to a rider who rides like a total idiot with no consideration for other people ( we have names for them which I cannot divulge here) but where and how was the word Squid derived from ??
Phillo,
Try this source especially #2!

Also found this . . . ."Human intestines look a lot like squid when they are strewn across the street. In the EMS world, we also call it 'street lasagna'. A motorcycle crash victim often resembles lasagna spilled across the street after a high speed impact."

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 5 Old May 4th, 2013, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Phillo,
Try this source especially #2!

Also found this . . . ."Human intestines look a lot like squid when they are strewn across the street. In the EMS world, we also call it 'street lasagna'. A motorcycle crash victim often resembles lasagna spilled across the street after a high speed impact."
Many thanks, very interesting and quite funny some of it

post #4 of 5 Old May 4th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Actually it is, in the motorcycle world, a term of derision and abbreviation of SQUIRRELY KID.

It was specifically referring to sport bike riders of limited skill or common sense, or both.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #5 of 5 Old May 13th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillo
Squid also refers to enlisted U.S. Navy personnel. I am a proud ex-squid.

USN 1969 to 1974 active + 4 yrs reserve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in