New boxer style motor to be made in China - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 24th, 2013, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

New boxer style motor to be made in China

New engine designed in Germany and to to be made in China looks basicallly like a BMW boxer and it is a 2 stroke, so high RPMS and light in weight. Wonder about emmissions ? Very interesting and how can I put one in my RT ??
I guess it will be used in electric cars.

The motor is comprised of two pistons, on either side of a single combustion chamber. Instead of using a crankcase to convert linear piston movement into rotational energy to turn a driveshaft or conventional electric motor, the pistons are mounted on air springs that generate electricity directly as they move back and forth.

The company says the motors can be configured to run on a variety of fuels, including gasoline and diesel, and will be cheaper to build while delivering between 20 and 50 percent better fuel economy than conventional internal combustion engines, depending on their application.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2RPmHowff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opoc-660[1].jpg
Views:	181
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	38336  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.¯
Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by WillieC; Apr 24th, 2013 at 3:33 pm. Reason: modified description
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 24th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Re: New boxer style motor to be made in China

Look up OPOC engine. It's been around for awhile. The Stukka used one, but inline and a diesel. It's nothing new and being made by the Chinese proves that.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 24th, 2013, 4:08 pm

I'm not aware of any two stroke that would be approved for street use due to emissions. This will probably only be allowed for sale in China.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 25th, 2013, 6:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
I'm not aware of any two stroke that would be approved for street use due to emissions. This will probably only be allowed for sale in China.
Nope probably not for the road but a 100 legal uses for yard equipment and leaf blowers, not to mention noise pollution.

The article claims it was Developed by engineers at the German Aerospace Center’s Institute of Vehicle Concepts, the Free Piston Linear Generator is an all-new type of powerplant designed to be used as a range extender for electric cars. Range extenders allow automakers to use smaller, cheaper batteries that are good enough for everyday driving, while offering convenient long-range, though not zero-emissions, capability.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2RTJn1q7y

I was just pointing out that it somewhat resembles the BMW Boxer due to the fact that the cylinders are horizontal. I do not think it develops enough horsepower to be used as a primary power.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.¯
Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 25th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Looks the engine equivalent of a CVT- if you want to know now bad those are go drive a current Subaru that has one..

Air springs. right
Throttle control and power band responsivenss how?
Looks fit only for fixed or narrow rpm band operation.

Low power its got. 40 hp being not much more than some lawn mowers it darn well ought to be economical on fuel..

II'm still hoping some of the outboard mtor improvments of late will find their way back to motorcycles - maybe just so I can put in some castor oil and enjoy that old smell again..

Not betting I'll ever see an installed version..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in