The F800GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Garage
The F800GT

Thanks to European Motorcycles of Western Oregon for the opportunity to put some miles on the new, for 2013, BMW F800GT. This workhorse twin cylinder is quick off the line and spins up with a pleasing growl. Top gear offers brisk overtaking performance and pulls hard at anything above 2000 RPM. Around town the bike was smooth, light and agile. On the interstate (in comfort mode) it felt solidly planted at all speeds. The handling was unaffected by side winds or semi truck turbulence. On curvy secondary roads (with the suspension in SPORT mode) the bike responded predictably to steering inputs and handled bumps, pavement seams and rain groves with ease. The flexibility of the gearing allowed for minimal shifting, but when necessary the transmission is smooth and precise.

The ergonomics suited me well; Im 60-215LBS. Wind protection is ample without isolating the rider from the elements. The seat is comfortable, and I had no problem riding tank to tank. Average fuel consumption was 60 MPG on the highway. Brakes are the usual BMW (ABS) phenomenal. I took it down some gravel roads and found the ASC a practical tool to have on board when traction is limited. The heated grips were a welcome addition as temperatures were in the 45F range much of the trip.

At 800cc it is not BMWs most powerful motor but I found it to be their most, flexible and willing mill. It also has an intoxicating gruff tone that is a pleasure to listen to as the motor spins up. I dont have many picks but cruise control wouldve been nice to have on such a capable touring mount. This is a bike that offers all the fun of touring and commuting minus the weight and complexity of the big rigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Apr 8th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Re: The F800GT

Service interval for replacement of the $434 drive belt is every 24K miles.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in