NEW bike-Itis - I succumbed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 9:33 am Thread Starter

NEW bike-Itis - I succumbed

Not what I had in mind originally but after owning just about everything and being a Hooligan on my Vstrom I amazed myself after taking a few test rides on a 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour and (previously owned 14 Harleys & BMW's) I am just so impressed with the Victory technology compared to the 2013 HD's . I rode them both back to back 2013 Electraglide & roadglide and and there is no question about motor and handling being way better in my mind and I ride aggressively.. Even Resale which I expected to suffer was the same via NADA and KBB. anyway.... just wanted to share.. I was hunting around for an older pre-2004 LT *But this lit my fire and it is kinda Spendy $$$..No FD issues to worry about.
So I purchased a brand new 2012 RED Cross Country Tour with ABS and HID headlights, heated seat and hand grips, 4 speaker stereo, on board computer, etc.. Kinda reminds me of My LT only air cooled with bigger bags...
Here is an up close review - http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-te...ntry-tour.htm/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victory-cross-country-tour.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	38092  

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 2:22 pm

Re: NEW bike-Itis - I succumbed

Congratulations - that's what I call innovation.

You can tell they put a lot time on the drawing board with those machines. And it looks well executed. BTW - I love the ads that say:
Come on in for a test ride and if it's too much to handle you can bring it back

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 2:44 pm

Question Re: NEW bike-Itis - I succumbed

I looked at those at the Cleveland bike show definitely a nice looking bike the only thing that worried me was what would happen to all that plastic when it decided to take a nap on me.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 4:47 pm

Congratulations on your new purchase. The Victory is a fine machine, rode a bunch of bikes at a local event out here last October and loved the Victory ride as much as I loved the Victory look. Although I would have to go with the Vision, it's just too beautiful to resist. It is the only thing that I would even consider as a replacement for my LT.

The only downside of the Victory is that the day I rode was pretty warm and the heat was just pouring out of the engine onto my lower body even more so than my R1200C, but it was still a fine machine.

Enjoy the new ride.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2000 BMW R1200C
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:09 pm

Very nice looking bike, congrats. I owned a Road Glide before my RT and based on your comments I'm going to have to test the Cross Country Tour out.
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 8:36 am

Good looking machine. I think the back end does look cool and have never rode one, I played on it at the IMS in Dallas last year.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 9:45 am

I've never talked to a Victory owner that wasn't thrilled with his bike! Good luck and enjoy.

Dan
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 11:42 am

Friend here in town liked his a lot but finally sold it because he thinks he's getting to old. He did say there's no worse customer service than Polaris.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: NEW bike-Itis - I succumbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
Friend here in town liked his a lot but finally sold it because he thinks he's getting to old. He did say there's no worse customer service than Polaris.
Human nature being what it is I think it all depends on the dealer don'tcha think? Kinda like MC warranties only being as good as the dealer who stands behind them? YMMV ... :^)

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #10 of 15 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: NEW bike-Itis - I succumbed to V I C T O R Y

Update:

Been 2 months and a 2,000 miles with the V I C T O R Y Cross Country Tour. Initially it felt like my Big heavy 05 LT only with an air cooled engine. Lots of gadgets to keep my attention and even mounted my BMW Garmin GPS....
Reporting back now.... Only aftermaket part installed is lower V-Stream windshield to look over. works great. No Issues, fuels great, does not run hot or burn my leg with heat from cylinders. No tuner or change of mufflers needed and handles unbelievably well even with passenger on rear. Z E R O warranty issues. Mileage varies from 32 - 46 mpg with 42 being the average. Seat and HB's feel very natural.
Love the extra long floorboards so I can move my feet around and don't need footpegs. Heel shifter is placed close to engine not trapping your boot heel. Love the iPod connection - radio speakers work well at speed.
Easy 1 oil change with oil filter at motor rear not in front like HD. Primary/trans/motor all done with one oil.

Bad stuff: Paint is easily scratched or rather swirled when polishing.. The foot controls are moveable several inches fore and aft.. Mine are moved back all the way so It is hard to reach and unscrew the oil dipstick. Left alone would be no problem.
Had to replace the too tall radio antennea. Miss my center stand! That's It!

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #11 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Congrats on the purchase. The Victory CC is a GREAT bike.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 8:21 am

I'd be interested in your impressions/thoughts on the following:

Handling - especially how does it compare to LT. Does it feel heavier or lighter. Is the weight higher up or lower. What about U-turns and slow riding.

How does the weather protection compare? If I understand their website correctly, only one model - the Arlen Ness - has an adjustable windscreen. Do you miss this if your bike doesn't have it?

Is the lack of a reverse gear an issue?

Can you get a full face or flip face helmet in the panniers?

Do you miss the central locking?

Thanks.
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 9:04 am

I've always thought of a Victory Vision Tour as being a viable replacement some day for my LT. I happen to like the styling, even though the front fairing looks like it came off the set of one of those early '50s sci-fi movies. The rear looks really neat, but I didn't like what little capacity the panniers have. I hadn't noticed those on the Cross Country being different and with larger capacity. The new '08 Vision Tour I looked at seemed to have a substandard audio system as well- too much distortion, and this was in the showroom. Also, ABS on the Vision Tour wasn't standard until 2010. Was it standard on your Cross Country Mike? Maybe HD will get the hint and start offering ABS as standard. I wonder if pulling a trailer with one of these will eat rear tires like the LT? I'll definitely put the Cross Country on my short list. BTW, this bike looks really good in that shade of red. Can one get those wheels all chromed?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Jul 9th, 2013 at 9:13 am.
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I've always thought of a Victory Vision Tour as being a viable replacement some day for my LT. I happen to like the styling, even though the front fairing looks like it came off the set of one of those early '50s sci-fi movies. The rear looks really neat, but I didn't like what little capacity the panniers have. I hadn't noticed those on the Cross Country being different and with larger capacity. The new '08 Vision Tour I looked at seemed to have a substandard audio system as well- too much distortion, and this was in the showroom. Also, ABS on the Vision Tour wasn't standard until 2010. Was it standard on your Cross Country Mike? Maybe HD will get the hint and start offering ABS as standard. I wonder if pulling a trailer with one of these will eat rear tires like the LT? I'll definitely put the Cross Country on my short list. BTW, this bike looks really good in that shade of red. Can one get those wheels all chromed?

I don't have the Vision... I have the Cross Country Tour with the HD style Batwing fairing and the largest luggage capacity on any production motorcycle... Also ABS and OEM heated seats and grips. The audio is great and comes with an iPod connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ParknglotView.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	39025  

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #15 of 15 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
I don't have the Vision... I have the Cross Country Tour with the HD style Batwing fairing and the largest luggage capacity on any production motorcycle... Also ABS and OEM heated seats and grips. The audio is great and comes with an iPod connection.
Yes, I realize that Mike. I was basically comparing the two with the information and pic you started this thread with. I went to the Victory site, where I noticed the Cross Country's price starts higher than the Vision Tour. I'm guessing not too many care for the styling of the Vision.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in