I'm very tempted please tell me I'm nuts. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

I'm very tempted please tell me I'm nuts.

I just stopped in the Triumph shop to see the new Trophy. I've been following it because I traded my 2001 Triumph Trophy in on my present 07 LT. It looks Awesome. Unfortunately Its to damn cold to test ride with salt, cinders and icy patches all over the roads. The bike was modeled after the RT and Triumph also tried to incorporate all the good features from all the good touring bikes when they designed the Trophy. If my Baby new I was thinking of dumping her for a new love it would not be good. The only way I could even think about it is if my wife OK'd the bike and she loves the LT so this won't be an easy sell. It is a big bike also but weighs 170 lbs less and feels very light. The other negative is that my LT is paid for. Well well see how things go with the test ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 1:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: I'm very tempted please tell me I'm nuts.

Hi Nuts

Doesn't matter, she will prefer the LT, the end.
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 7:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

OK - you're nuts.

We understand what you're saying, so maybe we all are!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:07 am

You're not nuts, many of us are intrigued or interested in the Triumph. My RT is fairly new and I'm happy with it and I'm not looking to sell or trade, BUT if I was looking to change my ride, I'd have to consider the Trophy along with the RT.

Please explain your wife's happiness with the LT- is it because she rides it, rides pillion, or just likes the way it looks? If she rides on it then her opinion and comfort must be considered too, no?

IMO, the new Triumphs are as reliable as anything out there, the smoothness and fit and finish are tops. I also feel that the LT has no equal when out on the interstates, but I also understand a wish to have something with latest technology and is lighter and more nimble as an all-around ride too, and that's why I now have the RT.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 2:21 pm

I had an RT which I liked. My wife was the one that rebelled against the seat of the RT and demanded I get the LT. (But she let me keep the RT too.
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 2:55 pm

I rented an 1100 RT in Norway and enjoyed it a lot. I haven't ridden the newer models but I am sure they are nice or they would not have made the Trophy like it. I had an LT that I might have traded for the new Trophy but they took too long to bring it out so I went with an ST. Hopefully I will get a chance to ride a Trophy and see if I made the right choice. Good luck with your choice.
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You are only nuts if can afford what you enjoy riding and ride something else.

I loved having my wife ride with me, so when she said we need something more comfortable for her to ride with me, we went bike shopping.

Due to her health problems, we only got to ride together for a few months after getting the 2000 LT. After she died I kept our LT and still ride it today. Eveyr once in a while when I miss her company while I'm out riding, I imagine feeling her give me a hug, like when she was with me.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Eveyr once in a while when I miss her company while I'm out riding, I imagine feeling her give me a hug, like when she was with me.
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I understand where you're coming from. Honey Bunny doesn't ride that often with me and i could easily justify a smaller bike, but for the few times she does ride it definitely worth it.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Garage

I too am sorry for your loss BecketMa.
Riding spouses/companions do make a difference in our riding and decision making. My wife has enjoyed many rides on the GW and only one long trip to Cincinnati jazz fest. When it was time for the LT she said do what you want dear. Got the LT complained about her seat being too wide yet she has put in more miles back there and that was just last season. Cleveland OH and MS. Still she says she does not want to ride that much. Then she would say take me so and so and I go for the car keys and she would come back with "I mean on the bike" that's just beautiful. Hope I did not stir old fond memories.
ride safe
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 3:56 am Thread Starter

Bob, come on, I'm sorry for your loss and your story made me well up and made me think about my wife, my riding buddy and gez, I read this after work to bring me up. Anyhow it was very touching.

Neil its obvious your wife spoils you, two nice bikes, I'm jealous.

George, my wife loves the whole experience, comfort, intercom, music, phone, as she says its like all the comforts of riding in the cage but so much more fun.
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 11:54 am

Bob, it is sad to hear when one looses their soulmate. It makes me pause and reflect on how much fun riding and other events wouldn't be without my better half. I imagine without her I would be doing things quite differently, and I would most likely have more of a sport tourer than the LT.

I look and sometimes admire so many of the custom bikes that are quite beautiful and reflective of the talent and creativity of their makers, but what always gets my attention is 99% of them are built for soloist, and I immediately conclude those bikes wouldn't fit my love life.

As far as the new Triumph Trophy, I'm very interested in it as well, but I can't stand that retarded looking appendage sticking out the right front, which they call an antenna. I mean, if that don't shout from the mountains "after thought!", then I'll go down to Autozone and buy one of their lookalikes to stick on my LT.....Okay, okay...I went overboard with that last part.
If there was ever such a thing as "birth control glasses" for a motorcycle, then this antenna is a shoe-in. Hhmmmm, maybe one could snap it off, like pulling a protruding nose hair?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #12 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Apparently there's been quite a few issues with this new bike. It's a bit like buying the first version of a software product there is bound to be issues. Have a search through google which I did this morning it certainly raised my eyebrows.

I bought my new RT about the same time as the new Triumph was being released In the UK After reading a few forums this morning I don't regret my choice one bit. I suppose though you really only hear from people on forums when they have an issue. However the problems did seem to vary from faulty screen adjustment, heated seats/grips not working, faulty fuel level senders and alternator issues. Clearly not related to just one component.

My other issues with the trophy is the weight which is a huge difference over the RT. Also the fuel consumption is much better on the BMW. To be fair to triumph they do have long service intervals at 10K instead of the RT's 6k intervals which means I'd only need to service the trophy once a year instead of twice like I will have to with my RT. BMW take note of this please.

No bike is perfect right enough as my total spend with Wunderlich will testify for my RT

Be careful guys if your considering it and remember the residuals of this machine will be interesting to say the least especially if they don't sort out the early teething issues.
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 1:04 pm

I just received an email from my local Triumph dealer that they now have a Trophy available for test rides only for 1 week until next Wednesday. So, if the Trophy still isn't available here in the US, maybe they worked some bugs out of it since the introduction in the UK? I don't know if it's delayed here or not, since prior emails from Triumph stated Feb 2013 for first availability.

( I'm not looking to buy a Trophy. I had put myself on the Triumph email list a long time ago when I had the Bonnie Scrambler, and asked to be kept in the loop as the Trophy was being announced, but having won a new M/C in the Superstakes, I'm not looking to buy right now, but remain interested to see how things play out and for maybe some time down the road)

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 1:08 pm

I'd love to either test drive one or better yet, rent one for a long weekend.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #15 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

I wouldn't buy the first year anyway. My extended warranty on the LT lasts till 2014 so i won't consider a new machine till then. The K1600 is also an option as well as the RT which I have always liked. I'm not Mechanical and if something major goes wrong after the warranty is up I'm screwed literally by the BMW stealor's. So I prefer to have a bike under warranty.
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2013, 12:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

After what I've gone through with the LT, I won't consider a bike that hasn't been out for at least 3-4 years. Faulty computer programming for the engine, no crash pan, rear disk change, defective starter relay, FD failures, faulty slave cylinder design, leaking engine and trany seals, faulty low beam design, faulty design on the trunk latch, rubber brake lines that leak and having to modify the speedometer so that it actually displays the speed I'm going.

When I bought the LT I believed the mythology of "precision engineering", that unlike Harley I wouldn't have to buy after market parts to get her to run at full potential and not having to do any major work on the bike. At least it doesn't leak oil. Well come to think of it, mine leaks oil from the engine, about one drip after riding. :-)

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2013, 2:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
After what I've gone through with the LT, I won't consider a bike that hasn't been out for at least 3-4 years. Faulty computer programming for the engine, no crash pan, rear disk change, defective starter relay, FD failures, faulty slave cylinder design, leaking engine and trany seals, faulty low beam design, faulty design on the trunk latch, rubber brake lines that leak and having to modify the speedometer so that it actually displays the speed I'm going.

When I bought the LT I believed the mythology of "precision engineering", that unlike Harley I wouldn't have to buy after market parts to get her to run at full potential and not having to do any major work on the bike. At least it doesn't leak oil. Well come to think of it, mine leaks oil from the engine, about one drip after riding. :-)
I mostly agree, but the LT had been out more than your required 3-4 years, and these deficiencies still occurred, and even in other models in same cases.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #18 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2013, 5:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Exactly.

It took a few years to discover them all and to see what BMW would do.

One year waiting list to get the new computer "chip".

Forget about it for a slave cylinder that won't leak. Forget about it for a replacement trunk latch, let alone one that won't break. Forget about it for discovering why the FDs failed. Accurate speedometer, not required in the USA that they be accurate. Inventory of replacement FDs in North America, zero.

Next time I buy a new model of a motorcycle I'm waiting for the results of 4 years of beta testing by owners.

Best
Bob

post #19 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2013, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

I absolutely love this bike, I think I want one!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in