How do you deal with summer heat using ATGATT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Dec 1st, 2012, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

How do you deal with summer heat using ATGATT?

I'm a newbie looking for an RT, coming from 22 yrs riding my HD in jeans and leathers and a 1/2 shell helmet. I am planning to upgrade to a quality fullface helmet, and I understand the ATGATT philosophy, but I'm just curious how one handles the heat of the summer? I have been on rides in 100 degree plus weather and am having a hard time figuring out how to stay comfortable and yet protected.

Thought it was a good question to bring up being that I live in Michigan and it will be snowing soon !

Last edited by HankY; Dec 1st, 2012 at 5:42 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Dec 1st, 2012, 4:19 pm

Re: How do you seal with summer heat using ATGATT?

Like you, I came out of the HD culture. T shirts and jeans, boots and half gloves or no gloves at all. When I became exposed to the Euro Riding Culture, I also became aware of ATGATT philosophy and began to follow it. Lo and behold, I learned that I was actually cooler with full ATGATT. Let me explain, I wore vented jacktet and pants with armour. Vented gloves, a full face helmet that vented well. When moving I am actually cooler than T shirt and jeans, as long as I am moving. Stuck at traffic lights or traffic is hot, just the same as I was in T shirts and jeans. However, I have not had to lay on sun block to save my skin like I used to and that is just fine with me. I wish I had known about ATGATT in my HD days, but the culture did not make that knowledge readily availabe. Let me give you an example: I was at a PGR event, where everyone else was riding HD's. It was 103 f day. I was wearing my vented Olympia pants and jacket and while standing in formation was only wearing the pants and a T shirt. After the event, several HD riders came up to me and asked about the pants I was wearing (with only undies on underneath). They said it looked like it would be very cool compared to jeans and I agreed. They further said that they did not know they made stuff like that. See what I mean?

Anyway, I hope I educated some people that day, but you rarely see HD riders following ATGATT.

Try it, you'lll like it.

Ultra LT
post #3 of 33 Old Dec 1st, 2012, 4:35 pm

Joe Rocket jackets work for me in Ohio.

One's the Corduro and the other is mesh. I take the liners out when we get into the 70s.

Ohio does not have mandatory helmet laws. I took my daughter out to buy one. I was having a very difficult time finding something that worked for her. At one motorcycle dealership, I asked about a helmet. The sales guy had to ask someone else in the shop because he didn't know if they had any. [They had an "accessory" shop where you could buy farkles for your HD, but helmets were not in the store.]

Dave

2000 BMW 1200LT
1989 PC 800
2005 Suzuki Bergman (sold to buy 1200LT)
1974 Honda 360CL (didn't move out of California with me)

post #4 of 33 Old Dec 1st, 2012, 5:56 pm

I came from a similar culture as UltraLT but mine was more of an evolutionary process. Weaned on a Honda 50 Cub at age 14 then graduating early to motorcycles before helmets were enforced. Rain wear comprised a green garbage bag with holes cut out for arms and head.

I too rode Harley's wearing a tee shirt and jeans on nice days, leather jacket and chaps on cool days and through it all was lucky enough not to go down.

Started wearing full protection after buying my first sport touring bike and adopted "all the gear all the time" more to resemble other sport touring riders than being worried about protection but I did have concerns about heat. Those concerns quickly gave way to the comfort and all weather protection afforded by modern riding gear. Most good textile gear is well vented as well as being lighter than leather even with the inclusion of body armour.

Once you commit to full protection anything less seems a step backwards, regardless of the temperature.
post #5 of 33 Old Dec 1st, 2012, 10:25 pm

Retired to Las Vegas about 4 years ago. Homes in Colorado and Southern California in addition to Las Vegas. I regularly ride from Las Vegas to California across the desert all summer long in temps of 100 and above and would not think of doing the ride without my Veskimo. The Veskimo cooler goes in my top case. I drilled a hole in the bottom to route the supply/return hose for connection to the vest and power it off of the rear Canbus outlet. A jacket with all vents closed keeps the cool air in and the hot air out. At 100 degree plus temps I would like to be a bit cooler, but am comfortable and safe in ATGATT. The vest works best when placed under a jacket to "insulate" and keep the cool air inside. With my core being cooled by circulating ice water, even my head in my full face/modular helmet stays reasonably comfortable. I tried evaporative vests and they do not come close to the Veskimo.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #6 of 33 Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 8:48 am

Re: How do you deal with summer heat using ATGATT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankY
I am planning to upgrade to a quality fullface helmet, and I understand the ATGATT philosophy, but I'm just curious how one handles the heat of the summer?
This pass summer I drove through some of the worst heat I've ever experienced, 100+ for a little over 4 hours, hitting a high of 106. The Olympia mesh jacket and mesh pants helped with airflow and keeping the sun off. Without that gear the direct sun rays just flat out burn, even through jeans. The other thing that really helped was putting crushed ice in the helmet. It cools your entire body and prevents heat rash on your scalp.

I have to say that the full mesh suit is a game changer, wished I hadn't put off upgrading my riding gear for so long.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 33 Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 9:18 am

Even mesh ATGATT can be uncomfortable in high heat and humidity. But I understand it's nowhere near as uncomfortable as third degree burns with three times a day scrubbing with a stiff brush to remove the dead skin, and having skin grafts. I prefer "uncomfortable" to the alternative.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #8 of 33 Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 8:19 am

Medicinal grade Zeasorb AF "baby" powder, Poly underwear, air mesh Kevlar pants and an air cooled KonTour Seat. Of course.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68306
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air flow illustration.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	37155   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	37156   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	37157  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 33 Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 9:12 pm

Veskimo personal cooling system.
Search the forum for "Veskimo".
You will find a number of threads discussing how to stay cool.
post #10 of 33 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 7:48 am

Wearing quality under-garments and quality gear that vents is key. I wear UnderArmour under my Olympia riding gear and have no issues in any heat. Keeping hydrated is also key. With the Harley crowd, that means stopping for a beer every 10 miles. For me, that means taking a sip of cool water from my CamelBak every 10-15 minutes.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #11 of 33 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Wearing quality under-garments and quality gear that vents is key. I wear UnderArmour under my Olympia riding gear and have no issues in any heat. Keeping hydrated is also key. With the Harley crowd, that means stopping for a beer every 10 miles. For me, that means taking a sip of cool water from my CamelBak every 10-15 minutes.
Talking about CamelBak........what do you do with the mouth piece to be able to get it into your mouth while riding?

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #12 of 33 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG
Talking about CamelBak........what do you do with the mouth piece to be able to get it into your mouth while riding?
Mine has a 90 degree valve on it so it don't think I even have to lift up my modular helmet to take a drink. (Going by memory here since it's been several months months since the last time I used it.)
Having said that, I wear a modular helmet so I could always just flip it open real quick to take a drink.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #13 of 33 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 10:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

OK, that make sense (modular helmet, that is). I was thinking of the problem that I have with a fixed chin piece, and of course a modular type helmet would be better.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #14 of 33 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG
OK, that make sense (modular helmet, that is). I was thinking of the problem that I have with a fixed chin piece, and of course a modular type helmet would be better.
With my old fixed chin piece Shoei I could feed the mouthpiece under the chin bar to my mouth. With the modular I can either go under the chin guard or flip the guard up.

Two important safety tips. Make sure the mouthpiece is threaded through the loop on the shoulder strap. If not it flips over your shoulder and is impossible to reach. After threading through the shoulder strap, you can tuck it under the sternum strap so it's easy to access. I recommend to practice drinking with gloves on while sitting on the bike and not moving. Number two - make sure the mouthpiece is securely stuck onto the hose. If the mouthpiece comes off while riding you get a spitting cobra hosing the contents all over you, your helmet, tank bag and inside of the windscreen. Three guesses how I learned that and the first two don't count.

All other advice fro others is pretty reliable. Veskimos, hyperkewl vest, mesh gear are all great. I recommend some sort of cloth or absorbent dew rag for the noggin. It may cause a tighter fit, but the evaporative effect is quite cooling.

One final word, unless I missed it, not too much you can do when the heat and humidity combine to defeat any cooling effects from evaporation. Best advice is to ride early and take a break during the hottest time of the day.

Good luck.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #15 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 10:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have Cortech/Tourmaster mesh gear and it does get hot in 100+ F temps when sitting still, but at highway speeds is very comfortable. I don't use my camelback while riding because I need to get off & walk around every couple of hours and stretch out, so I hydrate at those times. About one liter of water/Gatorade (500ml each) keeps me from gettng dehydrated. A 10 to 15 minute break every 125 to 150 miles on a long trip works perfectly. Saving my pennies for a Kontour seat.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #16 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 10:50 am

I'm wanting to join the ATGATT club, I have a modular Fulmer Trident helmet, but am stuck with my harley gear (leather jacket and chaps / pants). I know that everyone says that you get what you pay for, and to not jeopardize your safety for cost... however if I go that route, I'm 1000 bucks into gear and divorced and paying child support. If I keep it cheap, I'm protected, still married and get to see my daughter every night... so what's the recommendation for cheap atgatt gear? Cyclegear has BiLT brand... I've been looking at that.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #17 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker46514
If I keep it cheap, I'm protected, still married and get to see my daughter every night... so what's the recommendation for cheap atgatt gear?
I really like Olympia Moto Sports gear. I highly recommend you look at some before buying ANYthing else.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #18 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I like that brand... price is a little on the higher end... but not bad. If you get a chance, go to cyclegear's website, and look for the Mens Explorer Air Jacket. it's 199. that's the one I like a lot

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #19 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'm wanting to join the ATGATT club, I have a modular Fulmer Trident helmet, but am stuck with my harley gear (leather jacket and chaps / pants). I know that everyone says that you get what you pay for, and to not jeopardize your safety for cost... however if I go that route, I'm 1000 bucks into gear and divorced and paying child support. If I keep it cheap, I'm protected, still married and get to see my daughter every night... so what's the recommendation for cheap atgatt gear? Cyclegear has BiLT brand... I've been looking at that.
Look at Competition Accessories web site as well. Clicky They carry several brands in a range of prices. I am soon to buy Olympia pants to replace my Tourmaster Venture Air pants since the zippers are same size and orientation and Olympia has belt loops (Venture air has one button broken and side strap tearing loose after only 6 years ) Really not dissappointed in Venture pant just like Olympia better.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #20 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankY
... Thought it was a good question to bring up being that I live in Michigan and it will be snowing soon !
I like your thinking!

Well, here are some suggestions from climate more similar to yours (with a friendly wave to all Arizonians, Texans, etc.).

In warm weather, I use summer riding gear from Rev'It. I am not sure if one can call it "mesh", because the fabric has barely any openings - but is permeable. The pants and jacket I have also come with wind liners, which are great when the temps drop out of the hot range. Remember that beyond a few very hot weeks mid-summer, you will often encounter hot days and cool mornings/evenings.

Generally, I use my summer riding gear in temperatures from the 60's up. Wearing raingear over summer suit extends the temperature range even further down.

Unless it is very, very hot, I use long-sleeve lycra-like base layer. Typically, UnderArmor on top and Alpinestars Tech Underwear on bottom. It's counter-intuitive, but it allows the suit to slide against the skin - otherwise it would get horribly stuck and uncomfortable. That's an old trick from wearing full race leathers. Few things are as uncomfortable as race leathers on a hot day, stuck to your body.

I do use a full-face helmet. In the summer, the visor is cracked open more than I'd like, but - hey - I need to breathe. Under the helmet, I use one of these fabric Buff Headwear "tubes" pulled over my head like a balaclava (google that). The fabric is thin and absorbs sweat, reducing the" stinkiness" of the helmet itself. It also eases slipping in and out of the helmet when you are all hot and bothered...

Make sure to use a short windscreen to allow you some airflow. Tall screens are great when it is cooler, but create too much still hot air in the summer.

This is my summer getup. I just realized that it is about 5-6 years old; I guess I should not be too annoyed that it starts showing some wear...

In New Jersey heat:

In South Africa:

Enjoy! The riding season will be back soon enough.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Dec 5th, 2012 at 7:50 pm.
post #21 of 33 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I really like Olympia Moto Sports gear. I highly recommend you look at some before buying ANYthing else.
+1 for Olympia Moto Sports! Find the jacket and/or pants you want at your local store. Best pricing on them I have ever found is at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters in Tellico Plains, TN. Mike is the owner. Great guy and a rider. Tell him the BMW LT group told you to call and he'll make you a deal.

A lady in the office at my last job asked me nearly once a week in the summer if I was hot in "all that gear". It was almost as if she didn't remember asking me the same question last week. My reply was always the same. "Sure, it's hot, but I can sweat a whole lot easier than I can bleed." Did I mention she was the company's safety manager?!?

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #22 of 33 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 9:01 pm

I have a set of BMW textile riding gear - pants and jacket. It has more vents than most and is very comfortable even in 100 heat. I wear underarmor tee and shorts underneath and drink alot (1/2 liter to liter an hour) when it is really hot. I try to get in the shade for 10 minutes every hour to cool off (the other reason is when drinking this much water I need to stop regularly to relieve myself.) I also lower my windshield all the way so that my body catches more of the breeze. This seems to keep me comfortable enough to endure even the really hot days.
post #23 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2012, 9:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: How do you deal with summer heat using ATGATT?

LD comfort.
Water
LD comfort sleeves
Solid, not mesh if it is really hot.
Let the air go up the sleeves.

Stay hydrated.

[
]
post #24 of 33 Old Dec 8th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Full gear is the only way to go when it gets really hot. It is just like riding in freezing temps, you have to layer the proper way.
That full face hemet is a must, I have found that when the temps really get up there, just opening the shield a little is like a blast furnace on your face.
First thing to get into is the proper underwear, wear shirts and pants that will wisk away the sweat and let it evaporate at an even pace. A wet shirt is what will keep you cool be it sweat or by added water. With that said, you have to drink lots of water. In 100 plus, your looking at near 36 oz an hour.
A full mesh jacket is good if you have a full faired bike, otherwise they actually allow too much evaporation. A well vented full jacket and pants allow just enough air flow to allow even evaporation. The inflow isn't as important as exhaust to let hot steamy air out.
A good tip: this is what I do, when the weather hits those extremes and riding is possible, I will dawn different types of gear and take a twenty mile ride just to see how everything works. A half hour is not going to cook you or freeze you to death but will give you a very good feel of how your gear combination will handle extreme temps. That being said, eight hours in plus 100 or sub freezing is a lot different than 20 miles and it takes some prep. to stay comfy. But it can be done with proper gear and a little knowledge. My wife complains about all my gear, but I use it all for different situations. I have often toyed with the idea of laying all my gear out and taking a photo but not sure I have enough floor space.

You will start getting a kick out of the comments you get when you pull up in full gear weather it is hot or cold. Shrug it off and know your are happy while you ride and they are not.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf
post #25 of 33 Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Just an update for myself... I've found the Tour Master Transition 2 jacket to be pretty close to what I want at a really good price. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #26 of 33 Old Dec 16th, 2012, 6:16 pm

I have one, and have worn it over 100 and down to freezing. It has a pretty good airflow system. Only problem I have is lack of flow on sleeves that other jacket has. Love the fit and feel.
post #27 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Just an update for myself... I've found the Tour Master Transition 2 jacket to be pretty close to what I want at a really good price. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I think mine is transition 3, but it works for me up to 85 degrees. And easily down to 40. I currently don't have overpants to keep my legs warm, so I can say how it works below 40. In the summer I have a joe rocket mesh that works great. I'm fair-skinned so riding in summer w/o something is out for me anyway.

The transition 3 is comfortable enough that I have worn it as my coat off the bike. If it's comfortable to you, get it. I think it's a great piece.

randy
post #28 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Keep the sun off you. The Arabs know to cover up in the desert. Use light colors.

Keep the hot air off you. Better to have a vented jacket for a passive air exchange as opposed to an open mesh that allows the hot air to bake you like the set it and forget it oven.

Keep well hydrated. Stop every hour or so and drink in a cool spot too cool off (say no soda's and salty fries, salads and Iced tea or water is good). Some people sip as they go, but its better if you can take a break and get out of the heat.

Call it an early day if you have to and get an air conditioned room.

Agree Tourmaster Transistion jackets are good. That's what we use.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #29 of 33 Old Dec 27th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Quote:
I came from the HD world and was in a similar position. What I did is sell all my leathers online. Either through CL,ebay or forums. I got about half ov what I spent in the first place but it allowed me the $$ to get some good gear. I went with the FirstGear Rainier TPG jacket and their HT overpants. They are great and I would buy them again in a heartbeat. for the top and bottom I paid somewhere around $500all together. They breath great and are totally waterproof as well. I would highly recommend this combination to anyone for any type of weather.

brady

Live the Adventure, Ride the World
post #30 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 8:15 am

I just wanted to give an update in my winter journey to becoming a proactive, safety minded rider. I recently acquired a Shoei Qwest helmet from eBay for $200 shipped. It was used maybe 2 times, and it came with the clear lense and the mirrored silver lense. My helmet is the dark matte gray. In March (with my extra paycheck) I'm eyeballing an Olympia Moab Jacket it the silver color. I don't know that I'll go so far as pants, other than maybe some kevlar armored jeans... I already have some good boots ($300 chippewa logger type boots with good ankle support)

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #31 of 33 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 10:27 am

Well I figured I'd update again. I picked up an Alpinestars Cape Town Jacket... We'll see how it goes.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #32 of 33 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 11:31 pm

I wear Motoport Kevlar Mesh suit which lets air flow freely. You may be able to see the weave in this photo. Underneath I have LD Comfort shorts and Under Armour T-shirt. If it is really hot out, like 90+, I pour water all over my shirt. The evaporative cooling is good for up to one hour.

Art-----------------
2012 Triumph Street Triple R
2010 BMW RT
2001 H-D FXDX
post #33 of 33 Old Feb 12th, 2013, 11:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

'I'll be finishing my transition to full Motoport soon.

I got the jacket last year, upgraded my boots, vented and waterproof ones, to one level down from racing track kind of boots and replaced my Schuberth flip helmet with a highly rated one, Caberg, that I bought from Italy. I discovered it on the webbike site's evaluations. Since Caberg doesn't sell helmets in North America I went to the eBay Italy site and found a dealer that shipped to USA. Shipping was around $40.

If you are considering a flip you'll find helmet evaluations there along with information about how a flip helmen should not be made.

I looked around a lot to find the boots for less than every USA sealer sells them for and found one place in France that discounted them enough that even with shipping they'd cost less than the USA suggested retail. Even though I found out what size to buy from that manufacturer I decided it was safer to buy from a USA dealer that lets you send them back for a different size and not charge for the return shipping cost.

It has EU certification but nothing for USA. Since there isn't a helmet law for AZ I'm it won't be checked for a DOT sticker,and I'm betting a ticket that out of state no one will question if the helmet has a DOT sticker.

I'm making the transition from JoeRocket mesh type jacket and pants for hot wx and AeroStich for rainy days and the rest of the year.

Can't say I ever had much faith in the mesh type gear for sliding down a road. But it was better than no protection.

With the Motoport on I feel a lot safer than I did in the JoeRocket gear.

Last summer I discovered that the material they suggest for 100F WX seemed to let in a lot more air than the JoRocket Phoenix? jacket which was cooler. As a result I keep in the back of my mind to eventually replace the jacket for one made with more dense material.

On my list for this year is Motoport pants water proof liners for the jacket and pants, Motoport non winter gloves, and Veskimo with back pack and the biggest cooler they have. My plan is to use the backpack for around town and if I ever have to be outside fixing something and the big cooler for long distance rides.

I'm also considering buying a full face non-flip helmet for when I don't need to use the flip.

Best from Tucson

Oh.......also a Harley rider with leather chaps and leather jacket (I had Harley fever before I hit my teens. I'm glad the local Harely dealer was able to make me made enough to brake my Harley fever. In my early 20's it made sense to me to rider a chopper, no front brake ect, and to ware a patch.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Last edited by BecketMa; Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:07 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in