125,235 feet in one day? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

125,235 feet in one day?

I went out for a ride and banged over 125,235 feet of passes in one day. 12 passes total and 6 of them were the Continental Divide. It only took 621 miles and 13 hours to do it. I didn't cross the same pass twice and only back tracked less than 10 miles on the same roads going opposite direction.

I would have added another 2 passes and 22,500 feet to the total but a pass was closed for road repair.

Living on the western edge of Denver has it's advantages!!!! I got the Rockies to play in!! I can not imagine a better place than the Rockies to own a motorcycle, can you?

Has anyone hit more passes in one day?

FYI: Loveland, Vail, Tennessee, Fremont, Hoosier, Trout Creek, Monarch, North, Poncha, Currant Creek, Red Hill and Kenosha. And topped it of with a cruise through Red Rocks before going home!

Did it on my 02 K1200LT and averaged just over 50MPG. The next day I took her out on the Peak to Peak and over Trail Ridge. No wait, I think I do that all the time. No wonder I put 150,000 miles on two bikes in 10 years.

What can I say, I like it! Just like you do!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Re: 125,235 feet in one day?

Sounds like fun!
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Lived in Estes Park, Allens Park, and Glenn Haven for around 12 years........mostly rode Ducati's back in those days...now I got this LT and I haven't had the chance to get back up and run over Trail Ridge............scooted around Craig; Kremmling; Dillon; Breckenridge; and down to C. Springs...........Maybe come Spring............so many rides, so little time........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck57
I can not imagine a better place than the Rockies to own a motorcycle, can you?
Well, I'll take up that challenge, I would say that Arizona would be in the running. No matter what city in the state you reside, you are less than 2 hours from cool comfort in summer, or beautiful weather in the low areas for winter riding.

I'm not sure of many places that have ~300 riding days a year, offers the variety of terrain and scenery. I can ride a 700 mile loop inside the state seeing everything from desert to the Grand Canyon, or hop on a Saturday morning, take some switchbacks and be home for lunch for those days I don't have time.

I'm not going to straight up claim AZ superior to CO, but I'll put it in for consideration
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm

I think you have a toss up there Steve.......a fellow could spend a whole riding season and never leave those two states..........but then, while yer there.........you have New Mexico and Utah, just for a change of scenery...........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
I think you have a toss up there Steve.......a fellow could spend a whole riding season and never leave those two states..........but then, while yer there.........you have New Mexico and Utah, just for a change of scenery...........
Utah, New Mexico, and Southern California are bonus
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

It's good to see people enjoying the roads that take us places. I agree that every area has it's good and bad areas. No one likes riding in city traffic.

I recently rode out to LA from Denver. 1022 miles according to the map I70 to I15. It only took me 1945 miles and 8 days. Orvis Hot Springs was the most relaxing place I stayed on my way. Hite was fantastic under a full moon as was Escalante, Lees Ferry and the South Rim with the Milky Way out in it's glory. The fall colors were great. A great ride.

Colorado has one feature that no other place that I'm aware has, MANY paved roads at elevation. There is something about riding to the top of a 14 thousand foot mountain, a 12,000 foot pass, on top of the world. With so many high passes and mountain tops that you can get to in a short time on good roads, that's why I like the ride up and back down! Never a straight road. Maybe that's why I change tires so often??

One issue is the winter! Time to ski which is just as much fun! Oh, wait!! It snows in the summer up on Trail Ridge at 12,100+. Your in Estes Park wearing shorts and tee shirt and head over to Grand Lake. Time to gear up for rain, sleet and snow on the way up and gear down because you'll be back in your shorts and tee shirt in Grand Lake (about 35-40 miles). But if your there, might as well head over to the hot springs.

Did I say hot springs? That's another reason to go riding in Colorado. Hot springs are located up in them thar hills! Ride a while and soak a while. Ride some more, soak some more. What the heck, were spending the night!!! Try a hot spring tour for several days, you'll be glad you did! Nothing better than relaxing in hot natural spring water after a great day!!!

Winter and mountain weather are the only negatives I can think of.
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:33 am

Colorado is really beautiful. The Sangre de Cristo Range is on par with the Rockies. I rode up to Mt. Evans after Labor Day, but only made it to Summit Lake due to the road being closed to the summit. It was still awesome. Got to see wild big horn sheep within 20 ft., though they were females and yearlings. We were at top of Pike's Peak w/ snow, and most of the visit the peak was completely enshrined with clouds. Visited Royal Gorge. Wanted to take a pic of me w/ the bike on the bridge, but went zip lining over the Gorge, instead. I wanted to make it up to the Continental Divide, but there was just so much to see and ride and not enough time in our trip, as others mentioned. Had planned to go through Utah and see the Grand Canyon on same trip. Boy, was I overly ambitious!

Northern New Mexico is lovely. We drove through part of Carson National Forest, which was simply stunning. I was nearly overwhelmed with so many majestic sights. God's Creation is perfect.

I'm thankful to be blessed living in America with good health and the material possessions to enjoy these magnificent motorcycle trips, along with my wonderful wife to share the experience.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 11:25 am

Fun day.

Would have been more fun on a GS, but still a fun day.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 9:27 pm

The pass rides are great! The "local" BMW club sponsors a 100,000 ft pass ride every year. The ride incorporates great roads, scenery, mountain passes, and great friends, new and old!!!

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in