RT to a 2012 Concours C14 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:53 am Thread Starter

RT to a 2012 Concours C14

For mostly no other reasons than wanting a little more power for two up, and wanting something "different", I bought a 2012 C14.

It's a very different bike than my RT. Overall I would have to say it's a very nice bike, and comperable in many ways to the K13GT. In that respect, I like the lower RPM's at highway speed, but the trade off is there is less roll on power in top gear. However, there are remedies for that if I were interested in pulling the secondary flies, and possibly adding a Power Commander, which I am not.

The magazines raved about the handling of the C14 with the caveot that the steering was heavy. I would agree that the steering is heavy; however, thus far the handling does not impress me much. There may be some time needed to get used to conventional forks and the different feel. So far the added "feel" in the front end is a little unerving when cornering. Edge BMW. To be fair the suspension is set to factory settings, and the stock tires are probably an area that can be impproved.

The C14 will need some modifications to make it more long distance friendly, but I am looking forward to a different experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Re: RT to a 2012 Concours C14

I hope you enjoy it. Sometimes a change is necessary just for the sake of change.

Greg
2011 R1200RT (sold)
2012 K1600GTL
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:40 pm

Sounds like you're trying hard to convince yourself you didn't make a mistake... just sayin'....

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
Sounds like you're trying hard to convince yourself you didn't make a mistake... just sayin'....

Oh it's just a different bike, and not what I am used to that's all. It's a great bike, but yes, my RT holds a special place.

I'm sure there will be another RT in my garage again someday.
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 7:04 pm

I actually rode the 2012 C14 before my current RT. I liked the Kawi a lot, and frankly in stock form I preferred the C14. The biggest factor for me in going with the RT was the factory cruise. I could live without ESA and the radio, but I put on so many miles cruise is a must. I'd have like to see Kawi toss that stupid multiple brake configuration system and replace it with cruise, but I talked to the rep who talked to the R&D folks and there are no plans to add cruise at least thru 2014. Mpg wasn't as good on the Kawi but the trade off is the power it makes. Also didn't like the cheap plastic luggage rack. Again all very simple things that can be solved easily but the RT had the few issues addressed so I went that route.
I think once you get use to the C14 you are gonna love it. I came off LARGE tours so when I decided to go sport tour it was a complete switch up for me. As such I rode both the C14 and RT equally aggressive on the test rides before purchase. The C14 will go step for step with the RT in the twisties, just a little heavier feel. You'll be riding like you've owned it for years in no time...... Congrats!
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Congratulations on the new Connie 14. The C-14 really responds well when power is needed. I considered this bike after a demo ride, but the riding position was one factor that prevented me from pulling the trigger. It is possible that installing risers that adjust the handle bars up and back approx. an inch or two would improve the riding position and comfort.

Enjoy!
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for the congrats and insight. I will add electronic cruise and bar risers are on the way along with a heated Russell seat. These farkles and a larger windshield should help.

I will say I greatly prefer the attitudes expressed here.
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach
I actually rode the 2012 C14 before my current RT. I liked the Kawi a lot, and frankly in stock form I preferred the C14. The biggest factor for me in going with the RT was the factory cruise. I could live without ESA and the radio, but I put on so many miles cruise is a must. I'd have like to see Kawi toss that stupid multiple brake configuration system and replace it with cruise, but I talked to the rep who talked to the R&D folks and there are no plans to add cruise at least thru 2014. Mpg wasn't as good on the Kawi but the trade off is the power it makes. Also didn't like the cheap plastic luggage rack. Again all very simple things that can be solved easily but the RT had the few issues addressed so I went that route.
I think once you get use to the C14 you are gonna love it. I came off LARGE tours so when I decided to go sport tour it was a complete switch up for me. As such I rode both the C14 and RT equally aggressive on the test rides before purchase. The C14 will go step for step with the RT in the twisties, just a little heavier feel. You'll be riding like you've owned it for years in no time...... Congrats!
I was looking at the C14 as well when I was looking at my RT and went with the RT due to the cruise control and lack of oppressive heat coming off that radiator. It was simply awful. The ergonomics were not ideal (for me) and the tech stuff wasn't there like on the RT.

2011 R1200RT
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 3:37 pm

eng943, we all ride, regardless of what brand we saddle up on. The C14 is a great machine and we are ALL spoiled for choice these days. May as well bite at whatever is calling us, rather than not doing so and regretting it later . You'll like the Russell seat
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Please provide an update when the risers and cruise control are installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in