New bike (shhh...don't tell my Beemer buddies!) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2012, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Wink New "bike" (shhh...don't tell my Beemer buddies!)

2012 Vespa GTS300ie

WAIT! Let me explain!

The KEY to the above photo is not the bike, but the rider. My lovely bride, Cheri, has never wanted to pilot her own motorcycle, no matter how small. However, she has long (since a kid) loved classic Vespa scooters, and lately has shown an interest in learning to ride one. Since I've always maintained that any scooter that doesn't have enough oomph to get out of the way (of whatever) is unsafe, the only Vespa I said I would even consider was the 300 (surprising torque, top speed of 80mph, etc.). I tried to steer her towards something bigger (Silver Wing, etc.), and even got her to try out an Aprilia 500 Scarabeo, but she ONLY would consider a Vespa brand scooter with the bugeye headlight, round mirrors, etc.

So...earlier this week, I sold my Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord (adventure touring bike), and we bought a brand new Vespa GTS 300ie. While there's no comparison, the Vespa has one thing my Aprilia (or my beloved K1200LT) could never have - my wife at the helm! Right now, she's just driving at slow speeds around our private-drive circle, but she's getting increasingly more comfortable, and is already signed up for the MSF Basic course in a few weeks.

As for the scooter itself? Well, I had to ride it the 20 miles from the dealer (Lynnwood Cycle Barn) home, and I was really surprised at how fun it was/is to ride! It's quite spunky, and it handles better than I expected. While I'd prefer larger wheels, its 12-inch wheels are larger than most (smaller) scooters, and it feels surprisingly solid at 60mph. Cheri says she never plans to ride on the freeway (like I did bringing it home), but I think we'll be able to take trips on regular highways (e.g., down the Oregon coast). And who knows - as she becomes more comfortable on 2 wheels, maybe she'll some day want a "real" bike!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Re: New bike (shhh...don't tell my Beemer buddies!)

Congratulations, Cheri - looks like a perfect fit. And there is plenty of time to get acquainted with the scoot before the beeg doings in Bend next year!!
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Congrats, Cheri, and Bruce! I agree with Dick, she should come to Bend.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2012, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

I think that's very possible (there are plenty of backroads between Seattle and Bend!). It really depends on how many miles she puts on it between now and then! If we take a few shorter trips, I'm sure she'll get comfortable enough to make the trip to CCR! I was concerned about how stable/solid the scooter would feel at speed, but I really think it could cruise at 60-65mph all day long.

Oh, and it gets 70mpg on the highway!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 4:48 am

Looks nice, but how much hot sauce can it carry?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in