Visibility - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 4:51 am Thread Starter

Visibility

You may have read this: Some European countries are starting to make the wearing of reflective clothing mandatory.

As much as I hate more regulations I have started to really pay attention to what is visible and what is not, and I have started to agree with the regulations. Ever since I bought my bike here I have been looking to add lighting to become more visible. I have looked at additional running lights, LED side markers, Motolight style lights, you name it. The high cost of the really good stuff and the lack of availability for specific mounts for older bikes (1997 R110RT) has kept me from stimulating the EU economy .

My personal conclusion after riding about 20k miles so far this summer in all kinds of conditions has been that you can not beat a bright white helmet and a good quality safety vest. You will be highly visible from every angle and in all light conditions.

I saw a fully farkeled out Goldwing (a real rarity here) the other day in a sea of bikes leaving the Moto GP. It was dusk and drizzling. This guy had every LED, HID, and additional light that you can get. He also wore a white helmet, and a signal yellow vest with lots of reflectors. I noticed his upper torso long before I could make out his make of bike and all the additional lighting. I know you will look more like a DOT worker, but it works! Right now I have a cheap reflecting vest that I had to get as I entered Slovenia on a trip. Rather than spending hundred's on lighting upgrades and mods to my bike, I am going to invest a modest amount into a really good riders safety vest. To me at least , it is a much simpler, yet more effective solution to a major safety concern.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 9:09 am

Re: Visibility

Read my posted reply in the Bike Talk forum in the thread about wearing all the gear in 95+ temps in Key West.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

New law in France that will take affect in 2013

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...rom-next-year/

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5223

http://roadkinguk.wordpress.com/2012...ohu-in-france/

http://www.elite-wings.co.uk/reflect...ing-in-france/

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 10th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Hi Vis clothing may catch the eye of some cagers but I doubt that by so wearing the number of motorcycle vs automobiles will be substantially reduced at highway speeds. I can definitely agree that reflective clothing will offer some added benefit for night riding but better the bike be reflective than its rider.

The problem remains that most drivers are not afraid of, in fact, do not register anything on the road that they perceive as not being able to hurt them. As a rule, motorcycles are smaller than the vehicles they share the road with and therefore vehicle drivers are not looking for motorcyclists, cyclists or pedestrians in the first place.

At a distance, depending on front end lighting, many motorcycles are indistinguishable, the rider sitting behind a windshield even more so. The same is true from behind if the bike has a top box and a single tail light.

Any form of hi viz or reflective gear can prove helpful provided the offending vehicle recognizes the bike/rider with enough time remaining to avoid a collision.

However, it seems that the tail is wagging the dog should legislation be introduced obigating the rider to wear hi vis/reflective clothing. Effectively,the responsibility for bike/vehicle collisions would be, in part, removed from the vehicle driver and placed with the motorcyclist. Moreover it could prove great opportunity for insurance companies to deny coverage i.e. "In our opinion, your clothing was insufficiently visable".

Unfortunately, the onus for personal safety will always reside with the motorcylist and no amount of legislation will change that unless there is corresponding legislation to ensure the appropriate acceptance of responsibility by vehicle drivers.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Hey,everybody I have had my LT for about 3 weeks now. I love the forum. I found.so much useful information. So I felt it was my turn to share. When I bought my LT, the PO, had installed motor lights, and he told me he upgraded to the LED's but gave me the halogens as well. So I switched them back and forth, I wasn't happy. So I looked at the Moto Lights web site. The high output LED's cost like $129. The lumen output is only 200. I found a MR16 bulb with 6 watt "cree" led, 6000 kelvin, with a 15 degree spread for only $29 a bulb. I love them. My wife says it looks "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind". So they are bright. Check them out. I also just upgraded the low beam bulb with a Silverstar Ultra.
Ultra Bright LED's part MR16 CW6W - C15-DI.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Increasing your visibility to other drivers is good. But do not forget that is really putting the responsibility of safe riding on the other driver. How much do you trust them, even if you are wearing a bright orange sea rescue suit?

The rider is ultimately responsible for their own safety. No level of lighting, retro-reflective surfaces or day-glo will protect you from other's stupidity and inattentiveness. They won't see you if they don't look.

Be safe.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 2:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
The rider is ultimately responsible for their own safety.
Agreed. Which is why I take regular professional training courses, keep my bike in top shape (especially tires and brakes), and maintain hyper-vigilance when riding, all of which helps to predict and avoid crashes, regardless of who may be at fault.

Quote:
No level of lighting, retro-reflective surfaces or day-glo will protect you from other's stupidity and inattentiveness.
Stupidity, no. But inattentiveness can be mitigated somewhat by making yourself more visible.

No one is saying "I'm wearing a day-glo vest, so I can just ride along confident in the fact that they will see me and avoid me." You still need to take responsibility and ride defensively, of course. But anything you can do to be seen easier (reflective surfaces on your bike and/or body, well-placed lighting, modulators, etc.) is a good thing, and adds to your other safety and protective measures.

Quote:
They won't see you if they don't look.
No, they won't. And they might or might not see you even if they do look.

But why can't you increase your own visibility and increase your own skills/alertness? Why do you have to chose one or the other?

Quote:
Be safe.
Agreed . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in