all the gear all the time even in 95+ degree temps in Key West - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

all the gear all the time even in 95+ degree temps in Key West

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 10:21 pm

Re: all the gear all the time even in 95+ degree temps in Key West

even out here in Phoenix Az......

NO gear NO ride.....

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #3 of 25 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 5:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yup!! I like my skin and want to keep it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 5:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Exclamation Re: all the gear all the time even in 95+ degree temps in Key West

For sure on every ride.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 25 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 7:36 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Gear is cheeper the skin Graphs. Besides I've already done that in 1978 & still have the scars from it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 25 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:36 pm

I just got back from a Labor day weekend ride with a couple of HD riders and one Old wing rider. I was the only one that rode with complete gear the whole trip.

It's the culture difference between HD riders ( mostly) and the others. Although it looks comfortable to ride with just a shirt and jeans, I to would rather keep my skin.

I don't have any grand illusions that I can survive a highspeed impact with all the gear, but why not stack the deck in your favor?

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #7 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyK12LT
I don't have any grand illusions that I can survive a highspeed impact with all the gear, but why not stack the deck in your favor?
I know that God placed me on this earth for X number of days and until the last one occurs I am truly invincible and cannot be killed. Of course I have no idea when that day is so I will wear the gear too since there is nothing to say I cant be hurt real bad. I was in Galena IL yesterday with some friends and saw too many HD's to count. None of the riders had gear and only a couple wore half helmets. The friend I was with is really into HD and he was ooing and awing the whole time. I told him seeing these bikes is like getting all lathered up over seeing a ford or chevy POS. I didn't see any BMWs.. :-( I really don't get the attraction.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #8 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 8:25 am

Cool Re: all the gear all the time even in 95+ degree temps in Key West

Right on Paul!

After having experienced a ripped left knee and sutures as a result of a low speed low side on the LT in loose gravel many years ago I am ATGATT regardless of temp. The variety and versatility of riding gear that is available these days is absolutly phenominal and you will actually be cooler in a lot of it than you would be in the bare arms type clothes! Such was not the case decades ago when a lot of us started riding. Then it was leather or skin!

The only real downside is when stopped at a roadblock or light, but I wish to keep the rest of my skin, so I choose to wear the gear.

It's a free country so make your own choice folks. I made mine long ago.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 9:11 am

Even on our way over across, from the west coast to the east coast in May / June regardless where, California, Nevada, Arizona or Texas in temperatures 90 up to 100 and more we have worn our gear. Both of us, my wife also.

I think is important to your self and your relatives.

Manfred
post #10 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 10:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
Looking at the pic, the fellow in the grey gear (leftmost on the photo) is either wearing sneakers, or some new-fangled riding footgear.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:24 am

I am not in agreement.

I believe almost all MC crashes are preventable and also believe most can be prevented by the rider if they were paying attention or by avoiding doing something they shouldn't have done (riding too fast on gravel, swerving in and out of cars, riding too fast for conditions, riding in conditions they shouldn't be, etc).

For your proverbial Sunday afternoon ride it's my opinion (remember opinions are like a buttocks, everyone has one) wearing gear is something some will do and others will not do. You are not better because you wear it, and you are not an idiot for not wearing it.

Certainly on a longer more technical ride it is worth having good gear and wearing it. And certainly you can't predict when you're going to have that 1 in 50 crash when it isn't preventable or when you do fail to pay attention for a moment. So for those times you need to decide what an acceptable level of risk is.

I sometimes don't put on my seatbelt when going for a short trip to the store, or sometimes take it off as I enter my neighborhood. I feel it is an acceptable level of risk.

There is certainly a cost v risk decision going on as well. Good gear is expensive as is a good insurance plan. We take risks in life.

However.... I will say not wearing a helmet at least 90% of the time is unacceptable. Some can argue 100% of the time, I like to think I am a realist.

So what do others think now that I have broken the ice.

Tom
bought my 2006 K1200LT 3 weeks ago
used to have a 1985 Honda V45 as my first bike
and I am old enough to know better
btw... complete disclosure, I am a paramedic in Indpls and have first hand experience with vehicle crashes. Motorcycle crashes are quite rare.
post #12 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Tom,

Since you led with "I believe" you clearly disclosed that you were expressing your personal opinion. I am unsure how you came up with "almost all MC crashes are preventable" and "that 1 in 50 crash when it isn't preventable." Maybe I could agree more if causation of many crashes was not substantially contributed to by the the operators of other, non-motorcycle, vehicles often involved in a motorcycle crash.

I, too, have EMS experience, and I also have L.E. experience investigating crashes (and yes, your use of the "current" nomenclature does count ). Too many times the primary causation was due to a "cager" hitting a motorcycle. It is true that perhaps the motorcyclist "should" have planned for a better "escape" route, but sometimes (and I speak from first-hand crash experience) that is either not possible or is not enough.

As for "Certainly on a longer more technical ride it is worth having good gear and wearing it," my own near-fatal crash was within two miles of my home, where I was headed to pick up my SUV so I could retrieve my ill daughter from the school nurse's office. Go figure.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:47 am

For all you guys with AGATT - How often do you wash your gear? How so you wash it? How often do you clean your helmet liner - or do you just wait till it smells so bad you can't stand it any longer?

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time - James Taylor

81 Honda CM400 Custom - First Scoot - Bought new, sold in '85
81 Honda CB750C (circa 2004)
87 Honda GL1200 (circa 2006)
2003 BMW K1200LT (circa 2012)
post #14 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderbob_nc
For all you guys with AGATT - How often do you wash your gear? How so you wash it? How often do you clean your helmet liner - or do you just wait till it smells so bad you can't stand it any longer?
For this reason I prefer textile riding garments rather than leather, I can handwash my textile garments regularly to keep them clean and shiny and breathing well. Same with my helmet, now that most have removable liners I wash mine about every week just too keep air flowing freely and keep the funk-factor down.

I agree that 100% of motorcycle accidents are avoidable, just don't ride! Of course the we make a decision to accept the risk every time we saddle up, all gear does is reduce some of the risks that we encounter on our bikes. Jesus would never crash his bike if he rode, but most of us are human and will eventually make a mistake, maybe when we do, the gear will help us get out alive and relatively unscathed but I would never rely on my gear to save my life.

A couple other thoughts, my gear is all light colors or hi-viz gear. Next time you are taking a family road trip in the car watch motorcycles zipping around you, you will see the guys with a white or silver (or the occasional hi-viz) helmets a whole lot sooner than the guys with black, graphic or no helmets. So just maybe my riding gear is also helping me avoid accidents while at the same time protecting me from the effects of an accident - 2 for 2, you won't get better odds than that
post #15 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
For this reason I prefer textile riding garments rather than leather, I can handwash my textile garments regularly to keep them clean and shiny and breathing well. Same with my helmet, now that most have removable liners I wash mine about every week just too keep air flowing freely and keep the funk-factor down.
+1

I also keep a can of Helmet Fresh on the bike, and I wear a micro-fiber liner to help absorb moisture. I keep those on the bike to so I can change them out on hot days.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #16 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I always put on a helmet liner (Silky) before I put on my helmet for two reasons. 1. Makes it a lot easier to slip on the helmet and 2. I wash the liner every week or so. I rotate several.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmith083

However.... I will say not wearing a helmet at least 90% of the time is unacceptable. Some can argue 100% of the time, I like to think I am a realist.
This sort of confuses me! Seems like a contradiction.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 25 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am not in agreement. I believe almost all MC crashes are preventable ... blah blah blah
I am usually smart enough not to rise to trolling bait like this, but I call BS on Tom's entire post. Of course, Tom has a right to his opinion, no matter how wrong he is.

I won't deign to address each specific point or get into a pissing contest. This is my only comment on his post.
post #19 of 25 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 10:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderbob_nc
I wash my gear when it needs it. I wish I could be more specific. Here are some details:

1. LDComfort underwear and helmet liner, BMW silver function shirts and socks, other silk-like helmet liners:
I wash these after each day's ride, or every other day if I am on a long trip. They are designed to be worn for long periods and kill the bacteria that causes odors. At home I use 7th Generation clear detergent and an extra rinse cycle. On the road, I carry a small vial of baby shampoo. In both cases, they dry very quickly when hung up or rolled in a clean towel.

2. Helmet Padding:
On average, every few weeks. 7th Generation detergent on the most gentle cycle, then leave on the counter to dry in the air. According to Shoei, frequent liner washing is good for your helmet, to reduce the deleterious effect of perspiration, lotions, and shampoo residue on the EPS (hard foam) liner. Before going on rides, I am careful to spend extra time rinsing the shampoo out of my hair. I think it helps the helmet, and it makes a difference to prevent scalp itch.

3. Outer jackets and pants:
A few times a year. I remove the armor pads and turn the gear inside out before washing. I believe that washing puts stress on the seams and other protections that you depend on, but dirt, sweat, bugs, and road grime are no good either. You have to find a balance.

Hint: Some BMW gear has English washing instructions that say, "Wash Left". In German, "wash left" means "wash the garment inside-out".

'Hope this helps.
post #20 of 25 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I am usually smart enough not to rise to trolling bait like this, but I call BS on Tom's entire post. Of course, Tom has a right to his opinion, no matter how wrong he is.

I won't deign to address each specific point or get into a pissing contest. This is my only comment on his post.
Going from HD to Beemer takes a while to loose the HD brain washing.
You are now a Beemer rider for God's sake!
Our uniform happens to be very safe. I like the hi viz myself.
Nothing says nerdy engineer type better than an R1200Rt, a white Shueberth and a Hi Viz Olympia jacket......ooooo yeah!
Ellie
post #21 of 25 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 8:09 am

RE: Hi Viv. In an excerpt from "The Invisible Gorilla" the two authors, Chabris and Simons, mention that the wearing of HiViz may not be everything we think it is. As riders we are already cued to look for motorcycles. Having been exposed to HiViz we are cued to look for it. Consider the full page ad that depicts a rider wearing HiViz in the middle of some serious rush traffic on a multi-lane highway. Just show the picture without any cue and most people will see the school bus. It's big and yellow and really stands out. But the banner headline asks, "Can you see me now?" We are now cued to look for an individual who is different from the rest. Immediately we see the rider wearing HiViz. (Not unlike finding Waldo.)

Construction workers and emergency personnel wear HiViz, but flashing lights sirens and large orange signs cue us to look for people wearing HiViz because that's what people wear in those zones. My concern is that the wearing of HiViz may give us a false sense of security.

Do I have a HiViz garment? Yes, it's a mesh vest that I wear over my riding gear when it's foggy or raining. (I rarely ride at night due to limited night vision.) Am I playing it safe or just wishing for "good luck?" My rationale is that it can't hurt to wear it, so why not?

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by Tracus; Sep 8th, 2012 at 8:10 am. Reason: grammar
post #22 of 25 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 9:08 am

Since I don't see my hi viz when I'm riding I forget others do see it.
I never take it for granted.
I figure vision is our main sense and hi viz is the loud pipes for your eye balls.

Ellie
post #23 of 25 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 11:08 am

I know the gear gives protection in a crash but there are times were it just feels good to ride in a tee shirt and shorts, not saying it is smart but it feels good at least while the bike is upright.

Gerhard
post #24 of 25 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 11:25 am

Quote:
So what do others think now that I have broken the ice.

Tom
bought my 2006 K1200LT 3 weeks ago
used to have a 1985 Honda V45 as my first bike
and I am old enough to know better
btw... complete disclosure, I am a paramedic in Indpls and have first hand experience with vehicle crashes. Motorcycle crashes are quite rare.

Quite rare, really? When you think of how few motorcycles are registered as compared to cars and trucks on the road, and all the posers who ride a total of 500 miles a year on them, 106,000 crashes and 4,502 deaths do not seem "quite rare" to me. 4,500 deaths and how many injuries, pain, suffering, medical expense bankruptcies, lost work, lost jobs, pain to loved ones? I'd say just about every crash results in some type of injury whether the rider goes to the hospital or refuses treatment.

Maybe rare on your block, but like i said, doesn't seem rare to me.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #25 of 25 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
I know the gear gives protection in a crash but there are times were it just feels good to ride in a tee shirt and shorts, not saying it is smart but it feels good at least while the bike is upright.

Gerhard
To each his own, but when it's so hot that I have to wear just a T-shirt, I take the SUV and turn the A/C on. Trust me, I know, ( as a dumb 16 yr old ) it doesn't feel good having a E.R. nurse scrub brush the tiny gravel bits and dirt out of your now skinless back after you slide along the road after taking unexpected leave of your bike. And the 40+ years of having a limp from torn ligaments. And that's getting off easy. I've had to walk along the roadway collecting various pieces of 20 yr olds that crashed and had to tell their parents they wouldn't be coming home.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in