New Member Which Bike the RT or GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 31st, 2012, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Smile New Member Which Bike the RT or GT

Hello everyone this is my first post. And after having three Triumph sprints I would like to move up to either the R1200 RT or the K1600 GT. I will have to go use because a new one is out of my price range. Looking at 2009-2012. I do a lot of two up with my wife so she has to be comfortable. We stopped by are local dealer and she likes both bikes. We were also looking a the Kawasaki Concourse. Anyway here is the type of riding I do. Sometimes if I am not carpooling I will ride to work which is one hundred and four miles round trip all Freeway. Next weekend rides with the wife to the beach forty to sixty miles round trip or me going shopping maybe ten miles. Weekend gateways which range from hundred fifty miles to thousand miles round trip with the wife. And me riding along in the mountains. Okay here our some questions.
1. Any problems with either of the bikes as to maintenance and reliability?
2. What is the average cost for maintenance? How many miles and what needs to be adjusted, Oil change, spark plugs etc?
3. What kind of mpg you getting.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 31st, 2012, 11:52 pm

Re: New Member Which Bike the RT or GT

If your wife has been subjected to riding as a passenger on a Triumph Sprint she will likely bless any decision you make. Clearly the woman is already a Saint.

The RT will most closely resemble the riding experience of your Triumph in terms of size and weight, but with the added benefit of improved two up handling, build quality and all day comfort for both rider and passenger. That said, the amount of flat slab riding that you anticipate suggests that you and your bride best test the the 1600 as well, it has all the creature comforts that help to eat up interstate miles and two up 1000 mile weekends.

As for maintenance, the more miles, the more frequent the maintenance - on any bike. As to reliability search the RT and 1600 forums to determine if owning a BMW will suit your sensibilities and your pocket book. BMW products, overall, are more expensive to own and operate than other choices that you may wish to consider.

Your choice is really your own personal decision, the buying advice you get from members here is the result of a preference already made.
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 1st, 2012, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New Member Which Bike the RT or GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaultsby
Hello everyone this is my first post. And after having three Triumph sprints I would like to move up to either the R1200 RT or the K1600 GT. I will have to go use because a new one is out of my price range. Looking at 2009-2012. I do a lot of two up with my wife so she has to be comfortable. We stopped by are local dealer and she likes both bikes. We were also looking a the Kawasaki Concourse. Anyway here is the type of riding I do. Sometimes if I am not carpooling I will ride to work which is one hundred and four miles round trip all Freeway. Next weekend rides with the wife to the beach forty to sixty miles round trip or me going shopping maybe ten miles. Weekend gateways which range from hundred fifty miles to thousand miles round trip with the wife. And me riding along in the mountains. Okay here our some questions.
1. Any problems with either of the bikes as to maintenance and reliability?
2. What is the average cost for maintenance? How many miles and what needs to be adjusted, Oil change, spark plugs etc?
3. What kind of mpg you getting.

Thanks
I doubt you will find many (any?) used K1600GTs yet. They are very new, and a relatively small number were sold last year. Used prices are likely to be high, if you can find one at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in