Usage Of Motorcycles For Company Business - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Usage Of Motorcycles For Company Business

I am afraid that this is going to rear it's ugly head real soon.

I fly (some 125K miles a year) and get another 10-20K miles of windshield time on the motorbike for work.

To date this has not been an issue. Once or twice the person who approves my expenses has questioned why I do not "rent a car" for a trip to Atlanta from Orlando (500 miles each way) which would potentially be a wash at the rental car rate plus gas, plus extra day on each end to pick up the car and return the car etc.

But today a Vice President at the customer asked the sales person "What risk are we in with regard to the projects that Paul is working on if he is killed on his MC?"

See I am running a few high profile projects as a vendor for this customer. I DO NOT believe that I am indisposable or cannot be replaced, but I for sure add value and the projects and over success would be jeopardized if I was not around.

My response to the salesperson was this. Well the risk is that I do ride a MC. And if I ride on my own time after work (IE: if I commuted to the office every day), on company travel or just on the weekends for fun the risk is still there. I also Scuba dive, have a private pilots license, and have and will in the past Sky Dive and other risky activities like walk across the street and travel to foreign countries.

I also checked the company policy manual and it does NOT exclude the use of a Motorcycle but it does not specifically state it is OK either.

Lastly the company policy does state the the use of a "Personal Car" is allowed...

So anyone ever fight this battle in the past?

Anyone seen a company policy against MC use instead of personal car use?

Although I would not chose to fight this battle and it would make my wife so much more happier that I would limit my riding to weekends and vacations, etc... I would be VERY SAD...

Thanks

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pauleknight; Aug 17th, 2012 at 4:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Re: Usage Of Motorcycles For Company Business

I have not run into this problem but I do have 20 years experience as a policy level Human Resources Executive if that qualifies me to offer an opinion. I have seen companies adopt policies that impose restrictions on things that an employee can do during non working hours. Obviously, illegal activities off duty can get you canned. But then too can doing things that reflect upon the employer's reputation - think banking executive known to frequent gambling establishments. It would be hard for an employer to make a case that riding a motorcycle hurts its image, so off duty biking should not be a problem. However, the employer should and does have say about anything that relates to how the work is done. So, if company policy is changed to prohibit work related transportation by anything other than automobile or public conveyance, I would abide by that policy or risk discipline up to and including termination of employment. But, that is just my opinion.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Sounds like they're afraid to loose you. If you told them that you either ride your MC or you're gone, you'd probably see very quickly if they mean it. Ride the MC and "possibly" loose you or say no to the MC and loose you for sure. Now....lets see how confident YOU are that they need you. hehe

Guess you have to decide how important riding is.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)

post #4 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 7:56 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I get paid 50 cents a mile to pick up parts for my employer on my LT. I don't have a car so if they don't like it xxxxx them.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Contacting the American Motorcycle Association would be my first move; the second being to consult with an attorney who specializes in labor law. Given the fact that I have tilted at windmills (successfully) for the better part of my life, I may not be the right guy to talk to, given my tendency to respond with the words "Bring It." That having been said, I wish you Godspeed and Stand Your Guns.

Best,

Will3hawks
post #6 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 8:21 pm

My employer is a large chemical company who even limits the miles driven by auto so you might guess where they stand on motorcycles. Our plant manager has not tried to prohibit but has suggested that for me to ride one to work sets a bad example as a supervisor. Reading between the lines would suggest that future pay raises might be in jeopardy. While this would be discrimination I wouldn't be able to prove it. I'm about three years from retirement so as you also can guess I'm still enjoying my rides to and from work.
post #7 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWROLLIN
My employer is a large chemical company who even limits the miles driven by auto so you might guess where they stand on motorcycles. Our plant manager has not tried to prohibit but has suggested that for me to ride one to work sets a bad example as a supervisor. Reading between the lines would suggest that future pay raises might be in jeopardy. While this would be discrimination I wouldn't be able to prove it. I'm about three years from retirement so as you also can guess I'm still enjoying my rides to and from work.
Anti discrimination laws are very specific and cover, age, race, sex, national origin, pregnancy. Actually sexual orientation is not a class protected by federal anti discrimination laws but the gay lobby has screamed so loudly that everyone is afraid to offend them - except for that Chic-filet guy a few days ago. You see what an uproar that caused but nobody has said anything about any law being broken by his stance for tradition marriage. Back to the subject, motorcycle riding is not a protected class either and anyone can discriminate against a biker all they want and there is no law that will prohibit it.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #8 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 9:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

As a contractor traveler on "government business" the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) lists a rembursement rate for both autos and motorcycles (slightly lower) so as long as I don't exceed the cost of airfare for the same trip I am welcome to ride to my destination and have done so several times on multi day trips in the last two years.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 34 Old Aug 17th, 2012, 9:37 pm

My employer has a good attitude about motorcycles too, but my travel is limited to a pretty small radius of about 50 miles. I get a lot of nice bike rides reimbursed by the company at about $.53 per mile. I love it, the ride and knowing that I am getting over on them both financially and fun time.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #10 of 34 Old Aug 18th, 2012, 5:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

I believe I will let the matter drop unless either unofficially approached or officially.

If unofficially approached I would then ask, what RocketRon pointed out. Since there is NO official policy would you rather have me think of leaving for sure, or a risk that I might have an accident. Also to reiterate if this means I cannot ride on my own time, since performing the act and the risk associated is what was the concern for the customer, NOT that the company is at more risk from a liability stand point.

There are at least four points that the company could address this under.

1. The company is exposed to more liability by an employee on company time who chooses a more "risky" form of transportation exposing the company to more risk.

2. The risk of losing an employee who has an important role and would jeopardize the success of a project, implementation, deployment (Software), etc.

3. The image of the employee's activities to the customer

4. The image of the company might also be considered as a whole.

I would think that the company at least in my case could only stand on ground 1.

If there was an official policy, I would have to abide, but for sure would have to consider what future I have with an organization that is Anti MC.

The interesting thing is that my "manager" and his Director are both MC riders (well at least they claim to be. Neither own a bike right now form what they say) and they were not the one asking the questions. So it would have to go up the corporate ladder on the sales side to HR and then back down again to my chain of command to affect raises or performance reviews.

Lastly, I am going to reach out to some co workers in Germany, UK and Japan and ask what the company policy states in those operating company. We all know for a fact that those countries, well at least Germany and UK have a much higher percentage of MC riders and understand and promote the efficiency and convenience of MC usage.

Thanks again and looking for more thoughts if anyone has them.

Paul

post #11 of 34 Old Aug 18th, 2012, 8:30 am

Paul, having met you in Jan. 2011 at the Central FL RTE, I'm not so certain numbers 3 & 4 wouldn't apply too. Dew rags, wallet chains, leather patch-covered vests, and that big Rottweiller you take everywhere might tend to instill fear into some of your customers!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #12 of 34 Old Aug 18th, 2012, 8:54 am

There were 350 Motorcycle fatalities in Florida last year...6686 injuries.
(source http://www.ridesmartflorida.com/dataandstatistics.htm )

There were 669700 motorcycles registered there in 2009
(http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...red+in+Florida)

So, injuries and death last year made up 1.1% of that population. Realize that's probably overstated as accidents by unregistered bikes, and out-of-towners probably aren't separated out. (in Colorado, it's estimated that 40% of the riders aren't endorsed)

The vast majority of fatalities were caused by a lack of experience, alcohol, risky behavior, on literbikes and V-twins, by people who were under-dressed.

Based on the mileage you ride each year, you also have better skills and habits than the average rider.

Ask them how successful their business would have been if they were so reluctant to accept risk in their other business decisions.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #13 of 34 Old Aug 18th, 2012, 9:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

The fact that they are bringing it up means that it is important to someone and if you really like your job and don't want to put it into jeopardy, I'd listen very hard to what they are saying. Right or wrong, you don't want to get into a pissing contest by splitting hairs or looking at the rules for technicalities.

You have a very good job and at the time being you are critical to the organization, but that won't last forever. Protect what is most important.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 34 Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Paul, having met you in Jan. 2011 at the Central FL RTE, I'm not so certain numbers 3 & 4 wouldn't apply too. Dew rags, wallet chains, leather patch-covered vests, and that big Rottweiller you take everywhere might tend to instill fear into some of your customers!

This was not a Rottweiller that was my red cat...

post #15 of 34 Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:13 am

My company did this in the policy manual. Since my bike was my only transportation, I elected to ignore them until I retired. I was so against this that I was willing to leave had they forced the issue.

If I were to go back to work it would not be for that company or any other that applied this restriction.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #16 of 34 Old Aug 18th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I am a retired Verizon manager. They specifically prohibited 2 things:

1- Piloting your own plane on company business.
2- Riding a motorcycle on company business.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #17 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 7:42 am
Gold Supporter

I manage two offices for a large international company. This requires me to frequently travel about a 150 miles (each way). I'll usually take a company vehicle, but on occasion will hop on the bike and make the trip. This post made me think and I did some research on the corporate website. I couldn't find anything that prohibited my "two-wheel-travel", but I shot a e-mail to the legal and travel department to check.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

post #18 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 7:45 am

A close friend of mine works for a prime mechanical contractor as a project manager. Managment is prohibited from riding motorcycles during business hours. The company says this is because if you are in need of smoozing over a potential customer, they are unlikely to want to "ride" off to lunch, meeting, etc.

I have done work subcontracted under this company, and I do not believe their no motorcycle policy is an anti motorcycle policy. I understand their reasoning, and they do take customers/subs out for lunch etc quite ofter. Also, most of their top officials do ride.

I firmly believe, and always have, that company police applies when I am on the clock. If they tell me I cannot ride, smoke, gamble, etc during business hours, so be it. That is the contract of the job I agreed to. Conversely, outside of business hours, what I do on my time (as long as not illegal), is none of the company I work for business. I know it was brought up by tips727 about effecting company image, specifically the banker gambling. In this example, as long as that banker does not have a gambling problem, again, not my or the banks business. If the guy is a great, high level banker I would bet he #1, is smart enough to know when to quit and #2, has enough money to gamble from time to time. I just look at companies writing policy to covering employee's actions out of hours as invasion of privacy, and if I did not sign a contract that specifically stated that I agreed to let policy dictate my actions 24/7, I would have my lawyer at the ready.

02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
MOA #184190 Club #231 48035
post #19 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 7:45 am

A close friend of mine works for a prime mechanical contractor as a project manager. Managment is prohibited from riding motorcycles during business hours. The company says this is because if you are in need of smoozing over a potential customer, they are unlikely to want to "ride" off to lunch, meeting, etc.

I have done work subcontracted under this company, and I do not believe their no motorcycle policy is an anti motorcycle policy. I understand their reasoning, and they do take customers/subs out for lunch etc quite ofter. Also, most of their top officials do ride.

I firmly believe, and always have, that company police applies when I am on the clock. If they tell me I cannot ride, smoke, gamble, etc during business hours, so be it. That is the contract of the job I agreed to. Conversely, outside of business hours, what I do on my time (as long as not illegal), is none of the company I work for business. I know it was brought up by tips727 about effecting company image, specifically the banker gambling. In this example, as long as that banker does not have a gambling problem, again, not my or the banks business. If the guy is a great, high level banker I would bet he #1, is smart enough to know when to quit and #2, has enough money to gamble from time to time. I just look at companies writing policy to covering employee's actions out of hours as invasion of privacy, and if I did not sign a contract that specifically stated that I agreed to let policy dictate my actions 24/7, I would have my lawyer at the ready.

post #20 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerVerge

What matters in the gambling banker example is not whether the banker has enough money to gamble or knows when to quit but rather whether the bank (employer) believes the off duty activities are reflecting badly on the bank's image. Banks can be very conservative and very image conscious.

Most employment relationships are not governed by an individual contract for employment, though some certainly are. Do you live and work in an "at will" state? In many states, absent an individual contract for employment, the employment relationship is considered to be "at will", wherein the employee can end the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all. Likewise, the employer can end the employment relationship at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all. When no individual contract for employment exists, an employer sophisticated enough to have an employee handbook which outlines the expectations for the employment relationship, will set forth general principles for employee conduct and therein may include language about off duty activities. If there is an employee handbook, the company more often than not, will require that the employee sign off acknowledging receipt of the handbook as well as agreement that it is the employee's responsibility to know and to abide by the company's policies. HR guys are pretty good at covering the employer's arse when it comes to legal issues. So, if you get to a point where you need to seek legal counsel, be sure you have a copy of the employee handbook to show him. He will ask for one if you don't bring it at first. And that handbook may show that you don't have a case.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #21 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If my employer's handbook didn't state anything - either way - about riding a motorcycle during work hours, including commuting, I would not bring it up with the legal or HR departments. You might raise an issue they had not considered, and this could result in a new policy that could work against you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #22 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 7:39 pm

I work for a small-medium sized manufacturing company, we have ~ 500 employees. Over the last 20 years we've lost three high level or high value employees to motorcycle accidents.

The official response was to increase health insurance deductibles to $10,000 on any motorcycle related accident.

Unofficially, my boss told me not to take the bike on company trips. I spoke with other riders in the company, nobody spoke to them so I've semi-ignored it until it becomes official.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #23 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 8:47 pm

It's pretty tough to discern what the intentions are when the aren't clearly presented on paper. If the job is on the line then my gut reaction is to "Heed the voice of thy master." However, taking the issue to the "higher ups" can create its own issues:
1. Are you there to make trouble?
2. Is this a matter that someone has inadvertently voiced their concern about employees riding motorcycles and it's gotten out of hand?

You've broached a pretty delicate issue.

In 1980, I used my bicycle to help conduct the census. (About as risky riding through town as someone riding a motorcycle.) Those who drove their personal cars were paid mileage; I received bupkus. I made it an issue and afterward received compensation for my mileage. But this was a temporary job and I was willing to take a stand. Not too sure how I would have handled the matter if it were a permanent job with the Commerce Department.

Please keep us posted.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #24 of 34 Old Aug 19th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Tips,
at will or not, in my case, I have a contract so this does not apply directly to me as company policy nor my contract have anything written about motorcycles. Though I can tell you I am the kind of person who when confronted with a "polite suggestion" about something off hours, I would ignore, then if necessary push the issue until an outcome. Which way it ended up would not matter to me. I just have that kind of personality. Last time I was looking for a job, I found this one...... Like I stated before, during business hours, I do as I am told. Outside of those hours, my employer can mind his business.

Anymore, whether self inflicted or not, it seems our private lives are less and less private. This is just not an idea i like at all.....

To the OP, obviously I have a rather strong opinion about this type of thing. That being said, we all have to be our own man, or woman as it may be. Good luck, what ever your course of action may be. I hope it turns out the way you want it to.

post #25 of 34 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 9:29 am

In some organizations, key-man insurance may play a role. I held a position in which the key-man insurance for the company prohibited anyone who was insured under the policy from piloting or riding in a private airplane, sky-diving and perhaps some other "risky" behavior that I cannot recall. Motorcycle riding was not prohibited, but it would not be surprising to find a key-man policy that included such a provision. A company whose key-man insurance prohibited an activity on or off the clock would be justified in enforcing a ban on that activity.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #26 of 34 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 1:06 pm

I just ran into a some what similar issue this morning. I am scheduled for a business trip that would put me 1200 miles one way from home and crossing some great riding states. I had planned to take the bike and told my employer I was taking my personally owned vehicle. I didn't mention it was a motorcycle. I got an email today saying company policy wouldn't allow me to drive/ride period. They are required to pay for business travel and they will not allow POVs unless no other transportation is available. The total for mileage they would have to pay would be 4 times the cost of a flight and a rental car. I told them I would pay my way but they will not allow that. I have tried several different ways to get around it including taking vacation and where I just happen to be where the business is taking place but they won't go for it. They have bent the rules for others but it is not something I am in a position to argue. Oh well. At least I have a job.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
post #27 of 34 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRACER
I manage two offices for a large international company. This requires me to frequently travel about a 150 miles (each way). I'll usually take a company vehicle, but on occasion will hop on the bike and make the trip. This post made me think and I did some research on the corporate website. I couldn't find anything that prohibited my "two-wheel-travel", but I shot a e-mail to the legal and travel department to check.
Heard back from the "legal-beagles" today, as long as I'm properly insured and utilize state mandated safety equipment, I'm good to go.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

post #28 of 34 Old Aug 21st, 2012, 7:58 pm

Paul, if you get fired (and they can fire you) you will have plenty of time to ride anywhere including job interviews for a year or two.
Does that sound like fun?
post #29 of 34 Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
I am a retired Verizon manager. They specifically prohibited 2 things:

1- Piloting your own plane on company business.
2- Riding a motorcycle on company business.

IIRC, my company just prohibited motorcycles. They may have later prohibited planes, but the decline of general aviation probably made that a bit unnecessary.

When travel is across country it makes no sense at all for a company to allow any kind of ground transportation, as the employee's time is valuable and saved by quicker air transport.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #30 of 34 Old Aug 31st, 2012, 1:18 pm

I am fortunate - I work for a state Motorcycle Safety Education Program and the program owns 2 Buell Ulysses. We are encouraged to use these when possible. We can be reimbursed for use of personal motorcycles too. So that's cool. We aren't allowed to take passengers on the state-owned bikes though, which is only an issue occasionally.

Randy
post #31 of 34 Old Aug 31st, 2012, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokebadgers
I just ran into a some what similar issue this morning. I am scheduled for a business trip that would put me 1200 miles one way from home and crossing some great riding states. I had planned to take the bike and told my employer I was taking my personally owned vehicle. I didn't mention it was a motorcycle. I got an email today saying company policy wouldn't allow me to drive/ride period. They are required to pay for business travel and they will not allow POVs unless no other transportation is available. The total for mileage they would have to pay would be 4 times the cost of a flight and a rental car. I told them I would pay my way but they will not allow that. I have tried several different ways to get around it including taking vacation and where I just happen to be where the business is taking place but they won't go for it. They have bent the rules for others but it is not something I am in a position to argue. Oh well. At least I have a job.
Driving 1200 miles as opposed to flying 1200 miles is indeed a "vacation" and you're simply wasting the company's time. It's your salary and your value to the company they're concerned about and NOT the "reimbursement" for mileage. They won't pay you to look out the window, either, and this is essentially what driving or riding is in this instance.

You're aware, I'd think, that some companies pay their top management so much and value their time so much, that they fly them in a company jet or perhaps a charter to avoid all the time delay of commercial travel. You can bet this costs more in dollars than commercial travel, but is considered worth the expense. And, the bizjet industry wouldn't exist otherwise.

This is a common and VERY SENSIBLE policy.

(The reimbursement, BTW, is a self-imposed requirement and better word is simply policy as it's clearly a disincentive to require you to pay for your own travel--you'd be reluctant most times, right? The company's motivation is your incentive to work and they have full control over how they do it.)

None of this is anything to be "amazed" about and has been standard business practice for years and years. Nobody's out to get you because you're a motorcyclist.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #32 of 34 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrd
Paul, if you get fired (and they can fire you) you will have plenty of time to ride anywhere including job interviews for a year or two.
Does that sound like fun?

alanrd,

Thanks for the snide comment and input into the matter.

Your concerns will be appropriately filled into the circular file I keep on the floor next to my desk.

post #33 of 34 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 6:09 pm

My company requires that I rent a car for any trip over 150 miles in a day. Simple reason for it: it's cheaper than paying 55 cents per mile for me to use my own car. I approached my boss last time I had to travel and offered to waive the mileage if they'd pay actual fuel and toll costs. He went for it. His boss is aware of it and OK with the savings to the company and my enjoyment of the ride.

Greg
2011 R1200RT (sold)
2012 K1600GTL
post #34 of 34 Old Sep 5th, 2012, 9:30 am Thread Starter

My company also has a "must rent car" policy for over 250 miles per day.

I pointed out that to rent a car the day before I leave and return the car the day after I leave is three days minimum. at $50/day plus gas at $4/gallon = $90/day

A trip from Orlando to Atlanta at 1000 miles = $450 in mileage expense

Rent a car = 40 gallons @ $4 = $160 + 3 day in ATL (plus day before and day after) = $250 total of $410. Delta is $40. My boss is smart and say that $40 for a happy employee is worth it

Also to point out that I am a frequent flyer (Delta Diamond, 120K miles so far this year ) and Marriott Platinum (over 75 nights this year so far). SO travel for me is a weekly activity.

But to reiterate that if the company comes out with a no motorcycle policy I will adhere. If the Expense group declines to pay for mileage to ATL, then I will fly.

One reason I prefer not to fly is that I can leave ORL on my own schedule. If I have time to spend with the kids Sunday afternoon I can leave later or even after their bed time.

If meetings end early, I can head home early.

More than once, I rode to ATL and my co worker flew. Meetings over, I made it home hours before he did and on more than one occasion he was stranded overnight in ATL and I was home in bed....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in