Done with bikes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Done with bikes

So I think I am "done" with motorbikes.

I had somewhat of a slowly evolving epiphany over the last month or so; I don't enjoy riding any more. I think I'm somewhat sad to say that, but it is true.

Going for a ride, any ride, used to be the highlight of my day. I would actually look forward to Monday mornings so I could get a good ride in to and from work. The work bits in the middle were just padding between the rides. On any given weekend, I would be off for a ride or two; sometimes just a quick 'round the block one hour ride or an all-day blast to wherever the road went.

Without any discernible reason, I'm just tired of it. I could care less about if it is a nice day for a ride, finding a new twisty bit of road I'd never noticed before or wanting to see if the latest tweak/farkle worked out as expected. I actually look forward to rainy days so I have an excuse to not have to ride.

I've thought about this a lot lately and I just don't care about it any more. Even the RT has lost its charm and wow factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Re: Done with bikes

Interesting revelation. A suggestion - don't sell the bike. At least not yet. Based on your post it sounds as though you've overdone it. (It also appears that this isn't the result of a "near death" experience.) As an anecdote - Bill Koch, first American to medal in X/C skiing at the winter Olympics was asked if he ever got tired cross country skiing and training. He answered that he sure as hell did get tired of it all.

"What do you do.?" they asked.

"I stop skiing until I feel like doing it again."

All in all, it's your decision. Good luck!

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I use to be a photography nut, bought more equipment, constantly read about equipment, technique etc. Then all of a sudden I became focused on having a good time and if I got a few good photos along the way that was a bonus. I think I am actually a better photographer now that I am not so obsessed so maybe your riding is evolving along similar lines.

Have fun with whatever you choose

Gerhard

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 6:38 pm

I quit riding to work a long time before I retired from work.

Commuting's NOT riding IMHO.

I even do very little spur-of-the-moment country riding, either.

But, big trips are still lots and lots of fun. By myself, not so much.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Nobody's going to say you're wrong. If it doesn't grab you, and you feel it's a chore, then yes, it's time to move on. Do you have another interest that's gnawing at you to give it a go? Lots of people have left riding and later on, years later they come back. It's all good. After all, the reason for ridng is to enjoy the experience.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 7:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
I quit riding to work a long time before I retired from work.

Commuting's NOT riding IMHO.
Guess it depends on your commute! Mine is a great ride.

My wife thinks that I just look for excuses to get out of the house and ride. Been retired for a while, but quite active volunteering and I can't wait to get on the bike for ANY reason! I like just riding and I also enjoy having a destination. I'm not sure if diving at the aquarium two days a week is not just an excuse to ride. Anyway, just a different opinion....

But, like others have said, just cover up the bike for a while. If you don't get the urge back, then sell it. No big deal either way. No reason to be riding if you don't enjoy it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 10:51 pm

You may possibly be suffering from depression. Worth taking a look at.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 1:09 am

One of my favorite sayings: "Sometimes you just gotta follow your heart".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife
You may possibly be suffering from depression. Worth taking a look at.
I had this thought too. Along with getting his testosterone level checked.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #9 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 4:56 am

I have also come to the same decision. I have an 09 LT that just sits in the garage. Three grandkids, work and 4 acres to mow takes up all my time.
That being said anyone interested in a pristine 09 K1200LT. Factory warranty expires 11/2013.
post #10 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 6:07 am

You need a bigger lawnmower or maybe a flock of sheep....

Gerhard
post #11 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 12:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw
I have also come to the same decision. 4 acres to mow takes up all my time.
Dang! Screw the grass.... THAT would be my last reason to not ride. Ignore it, get a local kid to keep it cut or get a big jar of Round-up.... You have got to be kidding..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

I used to have a bunch of photo gear but it got stolen and/or destroyed a while back too. Got a point and shoot for things Ihave to take pictures of but that is about it anymore.

Appreciate all the comments. I'll dump the bike in storage and see what happens.
post #13 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 1:53 pm

Quote:
I have also come to the same decision. I have an 09 LT that just sits in the garage. Three grandkids, work and 4 acres to mow takes up all my time.
That being said anyone interested in a pristine 09 K1200LT. Factory warranty expires 11/2013.
Mowing four acres or riding an LT... wow what a tough choice

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #14 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 2:46 pm

Quote:
I've got 7 horses. Take your pick, I deliver.
post #15 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by four12
I used to have a bunch of photo gear but it got stolen and/or destroyed a while back too. Got a point and shoot for things Ihave to take pictures of but that is about it anymore.

Appreciate all the comments. I'll dump the bike in storage and see what happens.
I can relate to this. Years ago I'd traipse around with three cameras with three different lenses and 3 types of film. Spent way too much time trying to decide which film, which lens, which filter, etc. After a while, photography wasn't much fun, too many decisions and too many times I'd get home not knowing what I had seen until the film got developed. Four weeks of touring out west and seeing nothing but what was in the viewfinder. I hung 'em up for several years and used a basic 35mm point and shoot.

When the digital age arrived I went for a Nikon Coolpix with the articulated body. Point, shoot, enjoy the scenery and relax. I still have my old film cameras and don't know why I hang onto them. However, I'm now shooting with two digital SLRs, but I am making sure that I take the time to enjoy the view and not the view finder. If I just want to enjoy a ride I take the old point and shoot.

I have a feeling that one of these days you'll take the bike out of storage, don the gear, fire it up, hit the road and there'll be this quasi-adrenalin rush as it all comes back.

Of course I could be dead wrong, but as has been stated in earlier posts, it's your choice and I believe most of us will, at least, respect that decision.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #16 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by four12

Make sure to prep the bike for storage, that way when you do decide to come back or sell you have done whoever will be using it a favor.

I also agree with a couple other posters, you really should look into the depression angle. Here is a link to Web MD on depression as a place to start. I don't want to raise alarms but I have family members who have battled depression and it would be well worth your time - for your sake and the sake of your loved ones - to see if you have any other symptoms and then get help if you need it, otherwise at least you can rule it out. Depression and anxiety disorders are serious business and can really cause problems, make sure you are healthy and then decide to ride or not.
post #17 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 7:12 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
When I had 2.5 acres & about 60 trees to cut around my Zero Turn mower would cut it in less than one hour. My next door neighbor had the same size lot & about the same amount of trees his 52" John Deere would take him three evenings to cut his. I use to sit on my deck drinking a cold beer & wave every time he came by. Maybe a new mower is in order.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 7:39 pm

I've had the same thoughts over the last few months. Sadly, my lack of desire has been driven by the death of a friend to an accident that I witnessed. I'm struggling mentally to cope with the loss of my good friend and our life of adventure together so I'm letting the bike sit for awhile and see what happens.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #19 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 9:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
When I had 2.5 acres & about 60 trees to cut around my Zero Turn mower would cut it in less than one hour. My next door neighbor had the same size lot & about the same amount of trees his 52" John Deere would take him three evenings to cut his. I use to sit on my deck drinking a cold beer & wave every time he came by. Maybe a new mower is in order.
Yes - exactly. When we moved to a larger place in the country 14 years ago we brought a typical Sears Craftsman-quality 42" riding mower with us. It took 5.5 hours to mow the yard. Doing that twice/week was taking 11 HOURS/WEEK. After 2 seasons of that we bought a Kubota 24hp diesel tractor with a 60" mower deck. Between the larger cut of each pass (60" vs. 42") and the MUCH faster ground speed of the Kubota, the mowing time changed to 1.5 hours - a savings of 8 hours (or ONE DAY) per week. I also quit cutting the grass twice/week.

But, also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned trying a new bike - something different, maybe something more exciting/lighter weight will spark something.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #20 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:55 pm

I think staying off the bike is the best thing to do and I'll second the advice to not sell it right away.

Variety isn't just the spice of life, it is life, in my opinion. Sounds like you need some new experiences, some new adventures. Maybe some new hobby or activity that will be a challenge. I think we're all wired in different degrees to seek out new things. I'd be curious as to what it turns out to be for you.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #21 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 6:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjkwood
I've had the same thoughts over the last few months. Sadly, my lack of desire has been driven by the death of a friend to an accident that I witnessed. I'm struggling mentally to cope with the loss of my good friend and our life of adventure together so I'm letting the bike sit for awhile and see what happens.
Glad to see you were able to get it off your chest on the forum. Hope it helped.

All the best,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #22 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 7:10 am

Wow....Didn't intend to turn this thread into a lawn mower discussion. It seems as if the parts about the grandkids and work was overlooked. The LT sits in the garage. I am putting it on Craigs list.
post #23 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 5:58 pm

Riding for me is not as fun as it once was. Going to school full time, working full time. Not much fun:-( I need to replace the springs too. Gotta close on the house first...

In my case I know the lust will return. It always does!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #24 of 27 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 8:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Depression w or w/o low testosterone could be an issue as was stated earlier, just like dealing with the loss of a friend. Don't underestimate the damage these can do to your life if not properly treated. If your health insurance covers or you can otherwise afford it, seek counseling. Some plans provide several initial visits to select the right fit. in some cases that is enough to get you the skills & mindset to deal with what is going on.

Ignored problems rarely go away. Don't retreat into a cocoon, get the resources you need. Support is a wonderful thing. We're all pullin' for you!!!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #25 of 27 Old Aug 7th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Sorry to hear about your decision. But since your reason isn't discernible, I pray you find out how/why this epiphany evolved over the last month. As others have echoed, there may be something behind why you don't find joy from riding any longer.

I can tell you, riding keeps me sane. When I kick her into first, open the visor just a crack, blip the throttle, and let out the clutch till she asking for 2nd, the world seems to look a little better. It also helps, that the tunes in my ears, keep telling me how much I'm loved, and there is a plan; when all I see is chaos, and haven't a clue what the plan is. After-all, God is sovereign... He is in control... and He is good.

When I get back home, and my butt is sore, and I'm tired, hot or cold, hungry and thirsty, I can sleep well. I know my journey hasn't solved any of my problems, but then I never thought it would anyway. It was just a chance for me to look at creation and remember, I never was in control.

"The secret of life is one thing...." ... Curly - City Slickers

I found it and I pray you do to.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time - James Taylor

81 Honda CM400 Custom - First Scoot - Bought new, sold in '85
81 Honda CB750C (circa 2004)
87 Honda GL1200 (circa 2006)
2003 BMW K1200LT (circa 2012)
post #26 of 27 Old Aug 15th, 2012, 2:02 am
Super Moderator

Years ago I had the same feeling but this was about riding in the dirt and off road.

Bought a new / different bike and boy was I reborn . . .

Just saying!!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #27 of 27 Old Aug 15th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Interesting observation Dan. I'm in just the opposite position. I was getting a little bored with street riding, got into dual sport, and am completely addicted. Feel like the energizer bunny now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in