Coming to USA: should I sell my bike or bring it over? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 3:49 am Thread Starter

Garage
Coming to USA: should I sell my bike or bring it over?

Hi all,

long time I don't post here... but I guess I'll be starting over again, as I'm due to come to USA (New Jersey) from January 2013 for a few years (at least 2-3, maybe more)

So... what should I do with my LT?

I bought it 4 years ago, when it only had 10,000Km and was in nearly mint condition... it's now 6 years old and has 60,000Km, carefully owned and driven and always serviced yearly at the local BMW dealer. It's really good looking, I added a few vaulable accessories (like the Navigation system, a fully-integrated intercom/phone/iPod system from Autocom, the Xenon headlight, a wonderful V-Stream windscreen). To cut it short, it still has a good value if I sell it now to get a new bike when I'm in the U.S.
I was thinking to service it, change the brakes, fluids and tyres, and put it on sale. And then get a GTL when I'm in USA.

If I'm not selling it and leaving it in Europe, I will hardly drive it more than once per year, it will get old and lose value, so I'm not planning to leave it there just standing. I'd rather give it / sell it to another KLT lover who can make good use of it.

Or, as third option suggested by my KLT friends in Italy, I can ship it to USA and use it there: would you ever consider an option like this, if you were me? Anyone has an idea of the cost associated, inlcuding shipping, any needed conversion/nationalisation/registration, any local tax needed, usage fees and so on?

I'm really un-decided, I like the GTL but somehow the idea of leaving the luxury of the KLT forever... is keeping me from selling it.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 7:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Coming to USA: should I sell my bike or bring it over?

Hi, Corrado.

I faced the same question with my '99 LT when our 4-year stay in Wales was coming to an end.

Basically, you can do it either way, but the easiest and cheapest solution would be to sell your bike and buy another one over here. I figured out that after selling my '99 in the UK and buying a new '02 LT in the US with all the current discounts and promotions, it came out just about even. Except that I ended up with a 3-year newer bike that was already legalized for the US.

There are places that can ship your bike over (we had a K100LT shipped from the US to the UK), and you know your own bike well. But the customs importation process was difficult and expensive, and you're really only allowed a temporary 6-month permit so they would frown on a stay of several years.

Another advantage to selling yours there and then buying here is that you could pick up a GTL, or just find a lightly used LT and save even more cash. For that, you just need to do some test rides, which you can do easily enough over there before you move. That alone may seal the deal, if you decide that you really like the GTL.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on selling the bike prior to moving to the US.
This will save you the headache of "legalizing" your bike, paying some sort of duty, etc...
Used LT are plenty on this side of the pond as riders are getting new K1600s and selling off their previous bikes.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage

All good points, thanks.

Now I have to put it on sale... a bit hard to accept

I think I'll do it as late as possible... in all my whole life, since I was 14, I always owned a motorbike. 30 years and counting. Can't think of myself without a bike

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 8:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The only time I've been without a bike in the last 30 years is when we moved back to the States from the UK.

We were too busy getting moved, looking at houses, buying furniture, and generally getting settled to worry about bikes. After three months I said screw it, walked into dealer, handed them my driver's license and a credit card, and rode out.

I won't ever let it go that long again . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in