Ride friend's bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Ride friend's bike?

Ok, here's the situation. A buddy of mine just bought a VMax and doesn't want to take it home just yet. Seems the wife will give him pure hell so he needs some time to soften her up. So he's stashed the bike in my garage, left the keys and told me I can ride if I want to.

Me, being the good friend, just put a cover over it and I've got no plans to ride it. Even though it's screaming at me from the garage right now.

So what would you do - ride it or leave it parked?

PS - this guy is a good friend. even if it dropped it I don't think he would hold it against me. but I'd rather not put him in that position. I'm just curious to how other people would handle this situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha-vmax-300x225.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	35741  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 1:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Ride friend's bike?

I'd feel no guilt, since he's made you an accomplice to his "crime."

I WOULD, however, verify with my insurance that I would be covered in case of accident, there's a whole mess of horsepower in that motorcycle.

If I was covered? He'd need new tires by the time he picked it up (lol)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I'd feel no guilt, since he's made you an accomplice to his "crime."

I WOULD, however, verify with my insurance that I would be covered in case of accident, there's a whole mess of horsepower in that motorcycle.

If I was covered? He'd need new tires by the time he picked it up (lol)
Plus 1 Ride it like you stole it

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 4:31 pm

You've got permission. As long as you have insurance, go for it. That V-Max is a beast.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #5 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 6:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My two cents,

If you take it for a ride and something happens, ( not wishing this on anyone and this is my skeptical side ) like the bike gets wrecked and you get badly hurt. Your friend is out more than the bike, unless you have no relatives or dependents he is on the hook for anything a good lawyer can think of.

Keep him a good friend and resist taking it for a ride.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Garage

I would not touch that bike. I would not move it for anything.
Not because I care about wrecking it or anything, but because if I did, I would have absolutely no possible way to refuse to let him ride mine if he asked.
There are many people here who swap bikes like, well, just any time.
But I'm not into that.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #7 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 8:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'd ride it over to his house, and let his wife come check out "your" new bike . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I'd ride it over to his house, and let his wife come check out "your" new bike . . .
+100 !!!

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
post #9 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 9:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If my insurance covered it, I would probably ride it some keeping in mind that if anything at all happened to it I would be fully responsible.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #10 of 26 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:53 pm

I wouldn't ride it. I NEVER ride a bike that I don't own. Not sure why I am this way but it's been this way since I can remember. I have no problem letting CERTAIN others ride my bikes but never the other way around.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 26 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I wouldn't ride it. I NEVER ride a bike that I don't own. Not sure why I am this way but it's been this way since I can remember. I have no problem letting CERTAIN others ride my bikes but never the other way around.

Loren
+1 on dat, Loren.
post #12 of 26 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 7:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
+1 on dat, Loren.
+++++ 1

At several friend's requests, I have taken short rides on their bike, but would feel like crap if something happened. I would never just get on this bike, in this situation, except to maybe move it (all over the state) in the garage or driveway.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 26 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 7:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Meese is the devil!!! ROTFLOL

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #14 of 26 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 11:12 am

I wouldn't ride it. Why? Well, let's see...I'm worried because it isn't my bike and something might happen. Because I'm worried, I'll be nervous on the bike. Because I'm nervous, my handling skills suffer. Because my handling skills suffer, I have an accident. Ergo - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I will not go into my worries that someone will steal it from my garage. I will try not to worry that my garage will catch fire or a sink hole opens beneath it and swallows everything. Maybe I should call his wife and tell her to have her husband come and get his bike. Then I'll be worried that they'll get divorced and blame me. On the other hand I offer to buy the bike (real cheap, of course) to save their marriage and then let him rent it from me.

Now I'm worried that his wife will read these posts and connect the dots.

Seriously, I wouldn't ride it. And as others have said, "That's just me."

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #15 of 26 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
I wouldn't ride it. Why? Well, let's see...I'm worried because it isn't my bike and something might happen. Because I'm worried, I'll be nervous on the bike. Because I'm nervous, my handling skills suffer. Because my handling skills suffer, I have an accident. Ergo - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I will not go into my worries that someone will steal it from my garage. I will try not to worry that my garage will catch fire or a sink hole opens beneath it and swallows everything. Maybe I should call his wife and tell her to have her husband come and get his bike. Then I'll be worried that they'll get divorced and blame me. On the other hand I offer to buy the bike (real cheap, of course) to save their marriage and then let him rent it from me.

Now I'm worried that his wife will read these posts and connect the dots.

Seriously, I wouldn't ride it. And as others have said, "That's just me."
Only Tracus could come up with a kool reply like the above...

However, playing the devil's advocate...it's not really good for a V-Max to sit in a garage...is it?. You would be helping your friend out on a much higher level by taking her out and just keeping those fuel lines from the build up that we all know would begin to encrust themselves there and other wise tarnish his riding experience. Afterall, you wouldn't want him to have to do a massive amount of maintenance on her when he could be riding her right? Be a friend...be a pal...what's he going to do? Tell his wife on you?

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #16 of 26 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 12:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Some of y'all "worry" way too much . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 26 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 11:30 am

Wink Re: Ride friend's bike?

Just tell him to strap on a "Pair" and tell the wife he bought the bike!!
If he doesn't have the cajones to tell the little lady, he doesn't have the cajones to ride a monster like the V Max!

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #18 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2012, 1:14 am

Garage

Been there done that.
An almost life long buddy taught me to ride my very 1st bike. At the end of the evening session I bought my first bike his. 79 KZ1000ST. I have owned two other bikes Wing and now the LT.
But I have ridden Kaw 1300, V-Max and k100lt all of which belonged to same friend.
One thing I found out at 120mph the helmet slices through your brain front to back. Awesome. If you trust yourself on that and you have his permission take a ride.
ride safe
post #19 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2012, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
...it's not really good for a V-Max to sit in a garage...is it?. You would be helping your friend out on a much higher level by taking her out and just keeping those fuel lines from the build up that we all know would begin to encrust themselves there and other wise tarnish his riding experience.
I'm starting to see the logic in this post...

Bud stops over last night to start it up and ride it around the block. Things a husband goes through for his wife.

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #20 of 26 Old Dec 26th, 2012, 8:50 pm

If someone handed me a licensed and insured nice bike (of any class...and a V-Max counts as a nice bike of its class) and expected me to store it for him with no other compensation, I think a few calm rides would be entirely fair. Risk of "incident"? yes...but then, there's a risk of my garage burning down and a lot of other things, too. Would I abuse it? No. Would I run the tires bald in two weeks? No. But I would I refuse his invitation to use it? No. Would I accept the deal if I *couldn't* ride it a little? Probably not...though if the concept of "spare room in garage" meant anything to me, maybe I would.

Funny stuff happens when you lend people bikes...

Long ago, I lent a friend of mine my bike...and ended up picking him up from the hospital with his foot broken in five places that afternoon. While he was horrified over what had happened to my bike (actually, a little hammer work, a new bolt, and it was back on the road, almost exactly like it was before), I was worried about his broken foot, not too much about my $300 bike.

Fast forward about 20 years, this same friend (obviously not deterred by that one incident) is an avid biker...and makes me the Deal of a Lifetime on his '85 BMW K100...introducing me to a world of bikes I really never dreamed I'd be able to look at.

And here I am...

Nick.
post #21 of 26 Old Dec 26th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I have a friend who has 22 bikes many of which are classics and several of which are of which are irreplaceable at any price. Except for the few he regularly rides such as his HP2 and his 800 GS my operating premise is if I can't write a check and buy a replacement for it, I'm not getting on it.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #22 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2013, 6:21 am

We always had a rule when borrowing friends bikes. "You Bend It, You Mend it."
One day I had picked up a friends GPZ900 from the shop for him. I was taking back to his place, with his girlfriend following on a 125 to give me a lift back. A van came out of nowhere and I had to take avoiding action. Repairs cost me nearly £2000 ($3,200). This was about 1990.
It ruined my finances for some time and our friendship.
Now I won't borrow a bike I can't afford to replace.Most UK insurance will only cover third party liability on a borrowed bike.
I would run it up occasionally to get some oil round the engine and keep the battery charged.

post #23 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2013, 2:50 pm

So, did you rde it? Did he keep the bike or the wife?!

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #24 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2013, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
So, did you rde it? Did he keep the bike or the wife?!
No, I never rode it. Didn't want to risk damaging the bike or the friendship. He finally worked up the courage to take it home after getting her stuff + a vacation. He's a better man then me. I just rode my bike home and went straight for the guest room.

Greg

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #25 of 26 Old Jan 16th, 2013, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
No, I never rode it. Didn't want to risk damaging the bike or the friendship. He finally worked up the courage to take it home after getting her stuff + a vacation. He's a better man then me. I just rode my bike home and went straight for the guest room.

Greg
Yup - I keep fresh blankets and water in the bowl out in the backyard just for those 'look what I bought' occasions!!!
post #26 of 26 Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:06 am

After all these years I got tired of the sofa so I ask right up front- "I want to get a ____, so, what do you want?"

Kind of like a capo giving the mafia boss his cut of the action!
(Sorry, I'm from New Jersey and couldn't think of another example!)

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in