A case for the Guzzi Norge - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 7:59 am Thread Starter

A case for the Guzzi Norge

Hi, away from the forum quite awhile since I sold my 1200RT a couple years ago. Just bought a '07 Norge because I missed having a comfortable bike with luggage. After 1200 miles on it I feel ready to compare to the RT. Please don't take offense, some of my thoughts are subjective. But resale on these machines is so reasonable and the bike has so many virtues that I think someone in the market for a used RT should consider it strongly.
Subjective comment one: It is much better looking. You really need to see one in person. The way the different pieces seem to flow together is amazing. And in spite of a much smaller fairing/windshield wind protection is superb. It's like they really did their homework instead of just putting something huge out there. This bike is very comfortable for sustained high speed riding.
NO TELELEVER! Sorry, I know the telelever functions quite well, but I much prefer the feedback from a telescoping fork. In fact, sometimes I wonder why an anti-telelever movement hasn't arisen among the Boxer faithful. OK I'll admit in stock form the Guzzi doesn't handle as well in tight/fast cornering, but the plush ride is so nice the rest of the time it's an OK tradeoff. It is perfectly capable of "the pace," as they say.
It doesn't make as much power either, but the big twin puts off a wonderful, addictive feeling. Riding is about the experience you feel, not numbers on a dyno, and the Guzzi has personality in spades. I've already had more compliments on the beauty of the bike in 3 weeks than I ever had on the RT.
The big aircooled 2-valve is a breeze to work on and a reliable high milage engine.
2011 brought a 4-valve motor.
Anyway, after owning both I prefer the Guzzi. I scored mine with 7100 miles, almost new Pirelli Angels and the 6k service done. Paid $7100. Has heated grips, electric windshield, and ABS. Amazing amount of bike for the $$$.

present -'07 Monster S2R 1000, '86 Yamaha SRX-6, '07 Guzzi Norge, the classy one
past - '05 Multistrada (totalled) , '03 R1150RS , '02 Aprilia Futura
a couple nose-divin' R65s , some old Suzuki 2-stroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 8:52 am

Re: A case for the Guzzi Norge

Interesting...

I believe that the Guzzi is an "interesting" bike. I like them, I would like to have one, but frankly not instead of, but in addition to...

Guzzis draw a lot of attention at any gathering. I suppose introverts would find this disconcerting. I love the sounds, the style and the history. Lets face it. Guzzi's are of a different era and play heavily on nostalgia. You do not see a lot of new, younger guys or gals on them.

Being Italian they have certain... ummm... personalities, strengths and drawbacks. If I lived in a more metropolitan location (with a Guzzi dealer) and I had the money, space and time I would love to own one. My Ducati experience, with the "Italian Mistress" however taught me many lessons.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:16 am

Subjective is right.

With the RT, the way the different pieces seem to flow together is amazing!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Jun 26th, 2012 at 1:30 pm.

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
Being Italian they have certain... ummm... personalities, strengths and drawbacks. If I lived in a more metropolitan location (with a Guzzi dealer) and I had the money, space and time I would love to own one. My Ducati experience, with the "Italian Mistress" however taught me many lessons.
Being of Italian ancestry, I know what you mean. MG is the HD of Europe. As for dealers, Finding a Guzzi dealer makes finding a BMW dealer like finding a HD dealer. I can only imagine how long it would take to get parts.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 2:30 pm

I like the Norge but I have never ridden one. I had a 76 T3 that had it's share of problems but it was a plush ride. There is a dealer in town and the one lady I know that rode Guzzi said that parts can take a long time to get. I hope yours works well for you!
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch
Being of Italian ancestry, I know what you mean. MG is the HD of Europe. As for dealers, Finding a Guzzi dealer makes finding a BMW dealer like finding a HD dealer. I can only imagine how long it would take to get parts.
You hit the nail on the head with finding a dealer for parts and service.

I owned a MG Breva and before I bought my HD V-Rod(Night Rod) I seriously thought about the Griso. I test road one and really liked it, but there is one dealer within 200 miles and he is a space cadet, impersonal and a jackarse to say the least.

Before I bought my RT last year I seriously considered the Norge. It was my dream bike back in 2007 when it came out because I truly did love the Breva. MG makes a great V-Twin and the bike dynamics aren't too different from BMW products.

My big knock and probably the biggest reason why I stayed away from the Norge is lack of parts and service and really zero support from MG in Italy. One of the things that drew me to the Norge was the look and that is what I also liked about the RT. MG owners will tell you that the Norge is a direct knock off of the RT so why not get the original?

Having done some research and demo riding both, I can tell you that the Norge is a great bike, but it definitely falls short of the RT in performance, fit and finish. It's heavier, slower and I don't think it has anywhere near the sport touring capabilities that the RT does. It also doesn't have the options that I gobbled up with the RT. I do love the CARC cardan shaft final drive, but so far I don't have any issues with the RT final drive either.

2011 R1200 RT
2006 HD Night Rod-VRSCD
2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
1998 HD Fatboy
2001 Honda Rebel (wife's bike)
1991 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Honda VF Sabre
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

I have a competent independent mechanic here in Reno, and a reputable dealer in Sac. Of course there is Munroe Motors in San Fran too. The bikes are very reliable, overbuilt if anything. I expect maintenance costs to be less than they were with the RT. Also, Guzzi is owned by Piaggio now, I don't think coorporate support is lacking. I don't think there is any reason not to consider the bike unless you don't want to do any maintenance yourself or live really far from a dealer.

present -'07 Monster S2R 1000, '86 Yamaha SRX-6, '07 Guzzi Norge, the classy one
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 4:28 pm

I lust after a MG California. One day when the kids are gone, I'll seriously try to find a decent used one. MG's are just gorgeous bikes.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Great thread, great conversation.

I test rode a 2007 Norge and really liked it. Yes, it was down a little on power but has such character you almost don't care. In the end, no MG dealer within 400 miles and the R1200RT is a work of art as well.

Enjoy your Guzzi!

Blair
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 9:18 am Thread Starter

I almost forgot, it doesn't use oil either.

post #11 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 10:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

I, too, am really enjoying this thread...to the point I went on CL last night to see if there were any Norge's listed. There were...and very reasonable prices, I might add.

I have loved BMW motorcycles over the years and have owned a couple of them (currently '07 LT). However, I'm constantly disappointed at BMW's response to their product issues. No, I'm not turning this thread into a BMW bashing, but threads like this do cause me to consider other brands. I am beginning to tire of the weight from my LT (and wondering how long I'll be able to dodge the dreaded final drive or clutch issues) and will be replacing it sometime during the next year with a sport tourer. My list used to include one bike, the RT, but recently I've added the Triumph Trophy SE and now the Norge.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Moto International in Seattle has an excellent reputation among Norge enthusiasts. They have a fly and ride program. They pay for your airfare and pick you up at Sea-Tac.

post #13 of 18 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 9:58 am

+1 for MI in Seattle... I am in eastern WA and had an 07 red norge and it was very comfy and reliable.. Not having a close dealership and reliable parts support can be problematic but the anvil reliability and long life of the motor with No final drive problems make it a tasty and enjoyable motorcycle with S O U L.
07 suffers from weak R shock and limited improvement for fueling issues..
I sold mine and will get a new one with the new 8V motor and upgrades..

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #14 of 18 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the tip on the '07. I've also been researching the new 8v motor. Ironically, I drove by Moto International last night on my way to the zoo for a Leo Kottke concert...agree, they have a very good reputation.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
+1 for MI in Seattle... I am in eastern WA and had an 07 red norge and it was very comfy and reliable.. Not having a close dealership and reliable parts support can be problematic but the anvil reliability and long life of the motor with No final drive problems make it a tasty and enjoyable motorcycle with S O U L.
07 suffers from weak R shock and limited improvement for fueling issues..
I sold mine and will get a new one with the new 8V motor and upgrades..
Word .......

post #16 of 18 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 11:17 am Thread Starter

I'm sure the later models are improved but the '07 is still a damn nice bike and the $7100 is hard to get past. maybe someday I'll upgrade to 8V but this is enough to keep my interest for now.

post #17 of 18 Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:15 am

My one and only Guzzi ride was a test ride of the same-as-R100RS blue version back in 1978. A V1000 SP IIRC.

My reaction was ... this things sounds like a flathead Ford.

Do they still sound like that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	35765  

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Last edited by lkchris; Jun 29th, 2012 at 10:37 am.
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 29th, 2012, 11:35 am

[QUOTE=pickerbiker]...for a Leo Kottke concert...[QUOTE]
Put me in, coach. You make me feel like dancin'.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in