ATGATT: My Recent Reminder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 28th, 2012, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

ATGATT: My Recent Reminder

Sometimes it takes an "incident" to remind us of how quickly things can, and sometimes do, go "bad".

I recently had my reminder... and that is why I am a fervent believer in ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 28th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Re: ATGATT: My Recent Reminder

Glad you came through that one with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises. I have been ATGATT since I started riding in '06. I see all ages riding with no protective gear, in some states no helmet. I don't get it, but I guess it ain't for me to get! It doesn't look "cool" to ride in all the gear. It definitely isn't cool at 95 degrees, but I can sweat a lot easier than I can bleed.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 17 Old May 28th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Hey Lawrence glad to hear you are okay. When I worked for the KHP I saw what happens to the flesh when pavement grinds away at it...that's why I wear my gear and make my wife wear hers.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #4 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 3:27 am

Garage

Glad to hear that you are relatively uninjured.

My father always thought me that rain after a number of days of dry weather was dangerous. He believed that the rain would loosen the oil and other muck from the road. I guess he was right.

I have believed in safety kit after seeing a TV programme called "Sorry Mate I did not see you!" It described the effects of asphalt on the human body. "Just like placing a power sander on the joints and wearing the joint away." That convinced me to wear a minimum of Jacket, gloves & boots (helmets are law in Europe!) Since coming to Belgium I have added trousers to the list. it does not matter, if the trip is round the corner or a 1000 miles, I wear the kit and so do the kids if the want to ride with me.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #5 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 6:16 am

Morning Lawrence, glad to hear no serious problems from the spill, and glad for the reminder. Also enjoyed looking at your blog, including the recent CO trip. Having never traveled anywhere yet on my RT, I'm looking forward to heading to AZ this Sept., via Neb., CO, and UT. I'm inspired.

John
post #6 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 9:19 am

So,

Do you get to keep the Triumph now ?

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 9:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad to hear both you and your loaner sustained only minor damage. thanks for the reminder. Have any Idea where to get a copy of that poster in your blog? I'd like to hang one in my garage.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #8 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence_D
Sometimes it takes an "incident" to remind us of how quickly things can, and sometimes do, go "bad".

I recently had my reminder... and that is why I am a fervent believer in ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME
Good to hear you're getting your money's worth out of your gear. I've participated before in threads of same topic, and it should be in same category as conservatism and liberalism- one's either for one or the other, and they believe their position is best. Therefor, I'll provide one response and one response only to ATGATT in this thread. I am one who doesn't practice ATGATT, but I also do not run out into the streets on my bike shortly after a rain. If I have to concentrate that much on the road condition of every block I travel, then where's the enjoyment in that? If I have to go somewhere that badly, that's what my cage is for. I'm also inclined to think I wouldn't chance it under such circumstances on any motorcycle that wasn't mind. If for no other reason, I wouldn't want to have to wash it after I returned. That's two cases in point for myself being a go or no go. Let me clarify, this particular viewpoint of mine is for ATGATT, as it's defined. As they say, you mileage may vary.

I do like your blog. Thanks for making us aware of it.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #9 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 10:57 am

I once had a "Harley" rider in a tank top and shorts tell me that he didn't understand how I could wear all the gear in 90+ degrees. I told him that with mesh gear while in motion I probably wasn't has hot as he was. It's like comparing being in a shade in a breeze or being in the open sun in a breeze. I must admit that when stopped the gear is probably hotter.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Glad to hear both you and your loaner sustained only minor damage. thanks for the reminder. Have any Idea where to get a copy of that poster in your blog? I'd like to hang one in my garage.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't. I pulled it off the web. Search with the text and see when it pops up if there is some info attached to it.

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT

Blog:

post #11 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Good to hear you're getting your money's worth out of your gear. I've participated before in threads of same topic, and it should be in same category as conservatism and liberalism- one's either for one or the other, and they believe their position is best. Therefor, I'll provide one response and one response only to ATGATT in this thread. I am one who doesn't practice ATGATT, but I also do not run out into the streets on my bike shortly after a rain. If I have to concentrate that much on the road condition of every block I travel, then where's the enjoyment in that? If I have to go somewhere that badly, that's what my cage is for. I'm also inclined to think I wouldn't chance it under such circumstances on any motorcycle that wasn't mind. If for no other reason, I wouldn't want to have to wash it after I returned. That's two cases in point for myself being a go or no go. Let me clarify, this particular viewpoint of mine is for ATGATT, as it's defined. As they say, you mileage may vary.

I do like your blog. Thanks for making us aware of it.
Thanks for the reply Jeff and the your comments on my blog. It's been fun doing it.
Regarding your point of view, I totally respect your choice. For clarification, it started raining while I was already riding, but having said that I'd say that more than 50% of the trips I've taken over the years, and I go on about 3-4 multi-day trips per year, I get rained on or, as in the case of my most recent Colorado trip, snowed on! So, for me, it's not about choosing whether I ride in inclement weather or not... that just happens. It does require additional care and you have to be smart about it, but for me, that's another part of the enjoyment of the total trip experience.

Take care and safe riding!

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT

Blog:

post #12 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
So,

Do you get to keep the Triumph now ?

John
John,
No, but for 9K I'm sure they would let me have it! :-). I am actually thinking of either that bike, the 1050 Tiger (no out of production) or the 800 GS. The trickiest thing might be getting the dealer to agree to a test drive! :-). That's a few years down the road though.

Take care!

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT

Blog:

post #13 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Glad you came through that one with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises. I have been ATGATT since I started riding in '06. I see all ages riding with no protective gear, in some states no helmet. I don't get it, but I guess it ain't for me to get! It doesn't look "cool" to ride in all the gear. It definitely isn't cool at 95 degrees, but I can sweat a lot easier than I can bleed.
Thanks Lee

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT

Blog:

post #14 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan
Morning Lawrence, glad to hear no serious problems from the spill, and glad for the reminder. Also enjoyed looking at your blog, including the recent CO trip. Having never traveled anywhere yet on my RT, I'm looking forward to heading to AZ this Sept., via Neb., CO, and UT. I'm inspired.

John
Thanks John, Glad you like the blog. It's been fun to do.

Take care,

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT

Blog:

post #15 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Hey Lawrence glad to hear you are okay. When I worked for the KHP I saw what happens to the flesh when pavement grinds away at it...that's why I wear my gear and make my wife wear hers.
Thanks Wade!

Lawrence

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT

Blog:

post #16 of 17 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Not to highjack this thread, but I read the portion of your blog about your CO trip; very interesting and nice pics. I'm planning to ride out towards CO in September, and I'll quite possibly be doing the same route through Kansas being my folks live in Abilene. Thanks for the warnings you mentioned. I'll be sure to skip the prairie dog and while I might not be ATGATT, I will have some nose plugs for the feedlots. Of course, if there's possibility of snow, I'll take all relevant gear in case my wife and I decide to go for it, as you did. I'm thinking of doing a couple of the routes West of Loveland before going into Utah w/ the possibility of an alternate Southern CO route as backup.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #17 of 17 Old May 31st, 2012, 7:24 am

Hi Lawrence,
I'm so glad you are ok.
Thanks for the reminder.
I have been riding for a lot miles but I like to be reminded that anything can happen. Keeps me humble. Keeps me focused.
ATGATT for me!
Take care...
Ellie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in