No Harley Parts Online? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 26th, 2012, 6:28 am Thread Starter

No Harley Parts Online?

Hello everyone in Beemerland.
I posted a thread at another forum about the latest stupidity coming out of Milwaukee, via Harley Davidson corporate, and then I thought some of you here would be interested, especially those like me who also own Harley Davidsons, so I've included a link.

I thought being the author, I would "reprint" the post in its entirety here, but then I decided to provide a link for any interested parties:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...19#post3980319

I suppose this will give some a chuckle or even some ammo, but I believe there's relevance here, regardless of what brand one rides. I'm sure everyone at one time or another has had a similar experience, whether it involved motorcycles or buying hotdogs at some grocer.

Anyway, cheers to all, and for my American buddies, have a happy, safe, and memorable Memorial Day weekend. And remember our boys and girls, along with our coalition boys and girls who are fighting so we can continue to freely ride in safety, while celebrating such holidays.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 26th, 2012, 12:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: No Harley Parts Online?

Thanks for including the original link.

Looks like your entire premise was debunked with the first reply, which was confirmed with subsequent replies.

Hope you enjoyed your brief rant, however unfounded it turned out to be.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 Old May 26th, 2012, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Thanks for including the original link.

Looks like your entire premise was debunked with the first reply, which was confirmed with subsequent replies.

Hope you enjoyed your brief rant, however unfounded it turned out to be.
Hello Ken,
Regarding assembled bikes in India not making it back to US for sale, I hope others are correct. I'd rather be wrong about such matters, than be proven correct. That being said, it seems HD could do things better. Perhaps if they're worried about overseas vendors being short changed or under sold, then they should establish a sliding scale for the cost of their parts in countries w/ vastly different economies. It seems some parts are already made in foreign countries, so I'm sure the cost is significantly lower, so they might as well sell to these foreign resellers/dealers from their foreign manufacturing facilities/suppliers.

When it comes to capitalism, I have no issues w/ a company trying to expand their horizons to foreign/overseas markets, as well as manufacturing their products in these locales as well. I'm afraid they'll eventually do what our so called "Big Three" have done- making their products overseas, either solely or with global partners, and then shipping the products back to the states. This should be as easy to see as a probability as the nose on one's face. When it comes, it'll most likely be the result of the high costs of unionized labor in the U.S.

As far as the limited availability of outlets offering parts online, the other replies so far have suggested to some degree it is a valid point. Most BMW m/c owners are already conditioned to limited outlets for parts and service. They obviously put up with it. One could say the shoe's on the other foot for beemer owners in America, but last I saw HD is an American company founded on the ideas of capitalism and the free enterprise system, yet their knee jerk reaction in this matter would reveal a business mentality of anything but. I suppose they're no different than the Halliburtons and General Electrics of the world- they all root for a competition in a free marketplace until they find themselves in red ink, then they cry foul, wanting special treatment and the decks stacked in their favor.

Happy Trails!

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #4 of 11 Old May 26th, 2012, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Here's another possible scenario of future events for motorcycles in America:
Let's say Harley Davidson gets to hurting again, really badly, as I've mentioned, due to various dynamics having adverse affect on their market share. Let's say one of those dynamics is the American people getting so fed up that they force the federal govt. to stop the corporate welfare (I know- that's a long shot- probably not in our lifetime). Remember, HD has already been a recipient of government bailout in the past, just like GM and Chrysler, just to name a few. Harley Davidson has no where to turn, except to join forces w/ one of the major Asian manufacturers, i.e. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, maybe even TaTa in India. Let's say Honda buys either part of HD or maybe even all of it. Now, HD is saved from extinction, and depending on what side of the fence one's impression is of HD, people might even say it's a good thing. Honda's reliability will flow into HD's designs and manufacturing processes, thereby making HDs more reliable. Honda's vast supply chain will incorporate HD parts, thereby resolving my gripe that started this thread.

Next thing you know, the distinction between Harley Davidsons and Hondas is getting blurry, more so with each new model year. They start to incorporate each other's designs, and their platforms start to share more and more parts, until you have the equivalent of a Ford Explorer and a Mazda Navajo (you do remember these don't you?). An even better example and more recent was Ford's acquisition of Jaguar. Jaguars became more reliable- their fit and finish improved- and they even started sharing some parts w/ the Taurus and other Ford models where they simply took the existing parts off Ford's shelves to build new Jaguars. Low and behold, the $70,000 Jaguars are starting to look a little like your neighbor's $25,000 Crown Victoria (that's probably a bad example), or a Ford Taurus. I suppose this formula worked okay for awhile, at least until Ford start hurting so badly themselves, they had to sell off their share of Jaguar to none other than TaTa of India (true story).

Next thing you know, Honda owns a bit of HD, and Yamaha owns Victory, and who knows, maybe BMW winds up w/ Buell... the combinations are endless, but the end result is everyone is essentially riding something other than what they originally envisioned. I wonder if K1600GTL owners would still be in love w/ their motorcycles if they had a striking resemblance to an Ultra Glide- maybe just from the back side- possibly from using the same trunk and taillights? The kicker is they're still paying $26K+ for their German badge w/ an American backside attached.

It won't happen overnight. Just like our liberties have been gradually stripped from us over the last few decades. I can't remember the term, but it seems to involve the word "creep", as in something creeping up from behind someone- not noticed. Mark my words.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; May 26th, 2012 at 2:37 pm.
post #5 of 11 Old May 31st, 2012, 12:21 pm

Kind of think perhaps some college-level study of marketing principles is in order.

General business management, too.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #6 of 11 Old May 31st, 2012, 9:48 pm

Nah, it's just fun to pick on other people's stuff.

I just ordered cheap Harley parts online, so I can tell you the OP's full of crap.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Train
Nah, it's just fun to pick on other people's stuff.

I just ordered cheap Harley parts online, so I can tell you the OP's full of crap.
don't think I understand your remarks. Are you suggesting I'm picking on other's stuff and my post is crap?

If so, then perhaps you didn't read my signature block. I own not one, but two Harley Davidsons, besides the BMW., so I'd say I have a vested interest.

While several people have mentioned they can still find parts online, including myself, there are HD dealerships who aren't selling this way, I mentioned two specific dealerships in my posts, and they're not some small time dealerships in Hicksville, USA.

If you purchased "cheap" Harley parts online, then I'd say it's one of several possibilities:
1. your filthy rich, so prices of genuine HD parts are insignificant to you
2. the parts are used
3. they're counterfeit/knock-offs from B.F.E. or black market
4, you managed to get a good deal off Ebay or some desperate soul on CraigsList, etc.

Perhaps if you read the whole thing and comprehended, then you might get more out of what you read.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Jun 1st, 2012 at 8:56 am.
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 2:31 pm

You may have a vested interest, but on a BMW forum this is not very interesting let alone relevant.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
don't think I understand your remarks. Are you suggesting I'm picking on other's stuff and my post is crap?

If so, then perhaps you didn't read my signature block. I own not one, but two Harley Davidsons, besides the BMW., so I'd say I have a vested interest.

While several people have mentioned they can still find parts online, including myself, there are HD dealerships who aren't selling this way, I mentioned two specific dealerships in my posts, and they're not some small time dealerships in Hicksville, USA.

If you purchased "cheap" Harley parts online, then I'd say it's one of several possibilities:
1. your filthy rich, so prices of genuine HD parts are insignificant to you
2. the parts are used
3. they're counterfeit/knock-offs from B.F.E. or black market
4, you managed to get a good deal off Ebay or some desperate soul on CraigsList, etc.

Perhaps if you read the whole thing and comprehended, then you might get more out of what you read.
Wow, guess you told me, you can pat yourself on the back now. Or you can go to Surdyke's website and buy whatever you want for 20% off.

So yeah, your post is ill-informed. I'll let you decide whether or not it's crap. I will say that you might want to do a better job covering up that tin-foil hat of yours.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 6:16 pm

Of course I can see any Hardley owner having two Hardleys. After all you have to keep one running all the time. But as for one BMW, personally I think that said it all.
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dbweldor
Of course I can see any Hardley owner having two Hardleys. After all you have to keep one running all the time. But as for one BMW, personally I think that said it all.
You're correct. It has nothing to do with BMWs, hence the reason it's under "Bike Talk".
If you'd read the first post/introduction for this sub-forum, you would that it's appropriately posted here. As far as you or anyone else not being interested, that's why I mentioned the brand in the title.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in