Insurance Warning!!! Please take notice! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 1st, 2012, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Insurance Warning!!! Please take notice!

I just wanted to make everyone aware of a situation I recently encountered while being insured with Markel Insurance. I was out on a test ride on a new Triumph Bonneville. BTW, I currently ride a 2012 GTL. Anyway, I was involved in an accident which totaled the Bonneville. Markel DOES NOT COVER YOU ON ANY OTHER BIKE THEN THE ONE ON YOUR POLICY! I was amazed at this and always thought I'd be covered no matter what bike I was on. Well not so. So I did a survey and found out that the only two companies that will cover you on other bikes you ride other then your own is Progressive and Allstate. They both cover you on test rides, borrowed bikes and bike rentals. Geico, GMAC, State Farm, Formost and most other insurance companies I checked do not cover you on any other bike but your own which is specifically stated on your policy endorsement. Of course I live in Colorado and other states may be different. I would suggest everyone check with their insurance company no matter who you have or where you live and find out for sure if they cover you on test rides and other bikes. Do yourself a favor before you have an unfortunate incidence and have a huge out of pocket payment as I did. Also, don't just take the word of a salesman for the insurance company, chances are they really don't know. Do yourself a big favor and take the time to speak to a supervisor or underwriter and get a definitive answer. Some of the companies I checked with, this is what I needed to do to get the real answer. Good luck to all and let me know how you all make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 1st, 2012, 12:54 pm

Re: Insurance Warning!!! Please take notice!

lionsgate,

Thanks for the post. Those covered by the companies you list (that don't cover you on a motorcycle other than the one listed in your policy) should be aware of that. They should also know that those policies will often exclude any rider on the motorcycle listed on the policy if the other rider is not named on the policy (which could happen when the bike is being test ridden when it is being sold).

I have had Progressive for twenty plus years. I had one claim for a bike that was totaled while it was being ridden by someone else. The bike was listed on the policy but, of course, not the other rider.. Progressive promptly paid the claim and did not raise my premiums.

The next time there is a thread about much insurance coverage costs and how much someone saved by insuring their bike through "Brand X", remember that every policy is different.

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
2008 BMW R1200RT (Titan Silver)
post #3 of 4 Old May 1st, 2012, 4:39 pm

I rented a motorcycle a few months ago. I checked with my carrier, State Farm and was told as long as i have insurance coverage on a motorcycle, I was covered on any motorcycle i was riding... my agent gave it to me in writing what specifically my coverage was on that big ole Harley I rented...

So you need to check your individual coverage in your STATE....

post #4 of 4 Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

State Farm in Colorado does not cover you on any other bike but the one you have on your policy. You're right each state can be very different and everyone should check with their individual carrier in the state they are in to find out the skinny on what they are and are not covered for. Again I'll stress that even the insurance sales people really don't know the right answer much of the time and one should go through the trouble and time it takes to talk directly with a senior rep of underwriter of the insurance company to get the real answer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in