Opinions Please Asap!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Opinions Please Asap!!!

Probably the last place to come to for THIS advice. Test rode a Valkyrie Interstate yesterday!!! Awesome... as far as handling and appointments, NOTHING like my beautiful LT but ,is that a bad thing???

The bike peaks my interest. Feel like I at least need some "face" time with it.

My thought: Buy it. Ride it to Thunder Beach, (already booked anyway). Ride it home. Make a dicision from there. Don't get me wrong, my LT is the BEST motorcycle I have ever had the privledge to ride.

Do we stray, if only for awhile???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:32 pm

Re: Opinions Please Asap!!!

I've always wanted one of those too...After all... It's a boxer...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdrmr1
Probably the last place to come to for THIS advice. Test rode a Valkyrie Interstate yesterday!!! Awesome... as far as handling and appointments, NOTHING like my beautiful LT but ,is that a bad thing???

The bike peaks my interest. Feel like I at least need some "face" time with it.

My thought: Buy it. Ride it to Thunder Beach, (already booked anyway). Ride it home. Make a dicision from there. Don't get me wrong, my LT is the BEST motorcycle I have ever had the privledge to ride.

Do we stray, if only for awhile???
What about the Valkyrie attracted your interest? Looks? Performance? Something else?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:40 pm

Great bike, fast, smooth and DEPENDABLE...Loved mine, wish I still had it. Just a RCH slower in the 1/4 mile and top end. Never, ever had a problem with mine.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #5 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:44 pm

Nobody says you can't have more than one..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Nobody says you can't have more than one..

John

I'll show this to my wife!!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #7 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
I'll show this to my wife!!!
And then you may just prove JPSpen to be a liar!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You'll never know for sure until you try it, and if you don't try it you'll always wonder if it was the bike for you.

Now if I would just take my own advice...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks fellas!!! Did not think my bike would come into play until...making the dicision to make an offer. Almost feels like cheating. I've been standing in the garage for hours now. Pathetic I know but...I guess if I am this undecided, maybe I should pass???
post #10 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 9:08 pm

Well, that "old opinions are like ********" axiom comes into play here - butt, since you "axsed"... (that was a really lame play on words - oh - never mind...)

Isn't it kinda like an LT? With so many interesting scooters out there to choose from these days I would like something TOTALLY different to add to the stables - and diversify my riding options.

However, this is coming from a guy that just bought an '01 KLR (that needed a carb rebuild) for $500.00. Looks like old motocrosser's never die.

I say: GO FOR IT! (I think in 20 years that Valk will be collectible)

I sure do like the sound of that motor with slightly modded pipes - reminds me of a P-51 Mustang.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 9:35 pm

GET A GRIP! ITS A MOTORCYCLE, now go get your check book!!!!

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #12 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:07 pm

I rode a Valk Interstate for years, and loved it. Get ready for lots of questions about that engine .... some I've heard were "Hey, is that a diesel?" "Hey, is that an airplane engine?" and "Hey, is that a ... what the heck IS that?"

post #13 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:09 pm

One of my good riding friends had one. He loved the bike but has said numerous times that he felt the brakes sucked.

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #14 of 25 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:29 pm

Worst decision Honda EVER made was to discontinue the Valk. The Valk is a "cruiser". The LT is a "sport touring bike (w/ hard bags)" Two completely different bikes. If you like a cruiser well enough to do long trips, I'd go for it. If I had one, I'd install cruise control, heated grips, heated seats, stereo, Muth mirrors, hard bags, different lighting, an adjustable windscreen, Rick Meyer seat w/ backrest, mount for my GPS and...well.... you get the picture. Guess I'll keep my LT.

Good luck with a difficult decision. Buy it....let your wife ride it and she can decide!

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #15 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 3:59 am

I've had a '92 GL1500 Interstate for some time. Followed me home like a lost St Barnard one day and I'm just now getting round to possibly selling it for pragmatic reasons. But I've thoroughly enjoyed every mile I've ridden on it. There's something visceral about the feeling of rolling on the throttle of that big flat 6. It's very smooth, yet has a very appealing almost subliminal throbbing to it. Don't get me wrong..... I love my LT's handling and rideability, But that Honda motor has something about it.

As for the Valc, you get that "and" a totally in your face classy look. Oh yea.....and six carbs vs two. The touring Wings have one carb for each bank of three cylinders, while the Valc has one per cylinder. Don't expect to get great mileage, but then on a bike like that, who cares? Remember the Motorcycle Ownership Rationalization Equation, or MORE, as you consider the Valc:

C = N + 1 where C is the correct number of motorcycles to have and N is the number you now own

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #16 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 6:33 am

Before I bought my LT I was really hot on buying a friends Valk Interstate. My wife and I took it out on a long ride and decided against it. The exhaust note was too much to handle at speed and my wife wasnt as comfortable as she would have wanted. The LT won and I am VERY grateful! It would be fun as a second bike just to mess with though....

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #17 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 9:50 am

I came from the Valkyrie to the LT. Not the Interstate the regular Valkyrie. Is a fine Bike but the LT is more comfy. On the other hand there is nothing else on this world as this 6 cylinder engine from the Valkyrie is so smooth and powerful, unbelievable. Quite thirsty. Would still have her if she wouldn't have smashed me in the Swiss Alps into a rock wall. But is good rideable, was my fault. The LT frame is more stiff and the Bike is a bit more handy than the Valkyrie. Have never had problems with that Bike, very reliable, nice and good looking .
But with all my experience today I would stay with the LT.

Hope I could give you some idea

Manfred
post #18 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 10:28 am

I was out in Colorado with a bunch of friends in 2011 on enduros and one of the guys rode out on his Valk. He let me ride it one late afternoon after were done riding the jeep trails. I took it from Ouray to Silverton and back. It was very smooth. Lots of torque right out of the basement and it has a seemingly totally flat torque curve. I was riding on mountain roads and was pretty conservative just because it wasn't my bike, so I don't know how it handles at speeds over 60. The power drops off at a fairly low RPM, but the handling really matches the power band nicely. I think the LT handles better than the Valk at speed but doesn't have the low end grunt. All in all, with the exception of not having a fuel gauge, I liked the Valk a lot.

Just Ride
post #19 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
What about the Valkyrie attracted your interest? Looks? Performance? Something else?
Not sure...just has the look of an old style cruiser with attitude I guess. They really showcased the engine on this bike!!!
post #20 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Worst decision Honda EVER made was to discontinue the Valk. The Valk is a "cruiser". The LT is a "sport touring bike (w/ hard bags)" Two completely different bikes. If you like a cruiser well enough to do long trips, I'd go for it. If I had one, I'd install cruise control, heated grips, heated seats, stereo, Muth mirrors, hard bags, different lighting, an adjustable windscreen, Rick Meyer seat w/ backrest, mount for my GPS and...well.... you get the picture. Guess I'll keep my LT.

Good luck with a difficult decision. Buy it....let your wife ride it and she can decide!
Best idea yet!!! She will definitely have a huge part in it...she loves our LT!!!
post #21 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Valk. today. Pick it up Thursday!!!

Get this...the wife says last night after all of my grumbling; "The LT is paid for, why not just keep them BOTH???" Tell me she is not a keeper!!!
post #22 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks guys...I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Valk. today. Pick it up Thursday!!!

Get this...the wife says last night after all of my grumbling; "The LT is paid for, why not just keep them BOTH???" Tell me she is not a keeper!!!
Congrats on the new steed in the stable, and even more so on your fine choice in women! Sounds like she is related to my wife!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #23 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

This is the one I'm going to show my wife!!!

That is awesome!!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #24 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Not sure...just has the look of an old style cruiser with attitude I guess. They really showcased the engine on this bike!!!
I was thinking that if it was 6 cylinders and torque you were attracted to ... you might want to test ride a K1600 before pulling the trigger on the Valk. However, if it is styling, etc., then nothing else will do if you like the Valk look.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 6:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've always loved the Valkyrie looks and sound with the 6 into 2 pipes. I almost bought one but someone beat me to it. When I totalled my 03LT back in 2010 I bought a Vulcan 2000 Classic. I rode it for a year but sorely missed my LT and the comforts it had like cruise, heated seats and grips and good wind protection. It was fun having something that would burn the tires off and run 140 but I sure missed the ABS brakes. Having 2 bikes would be nice. I sometimes miss that low end grunt of the cruiser. I test rode a Rocket lll last weekend and I loved the power of that bike but couldn't wait to get back and get on my LT................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in