USA trip....possibilty !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 4:24 am Thread Starter

USA trip....possibilty !!

Morning all,

This question isn't about my bike itself, its about getting my bike and a friends over to the USA for a good old ride about. We are looking at a 5-6 weeks riding holiday.

This is a couple of years off yet but we want to get the homework done now so that we understand the situation.

We have looked at the methods available, container, Ro-Ro..etc and know that the eastern seaboard is our point of entry/return, but having never tackled this before and having looked at your customs website, I developed a headache !!

What tips have you guys got ??

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 5:06 am

Re: USA trip....possibilty !!

I can promise you more headaches. We are on a two Years scheduling for that trip from Germany. Finely we start 9th of May on two bikes.
Started up with 12 Riders. Eight of them gave up. Two Guys and there Ladies come in via Vancouver. On of them bought a bike in Seattle but gave the contract back due to some problems with registration and they other couldn't find the right one so they use a Camper.
The last two my friend and my self including our wifes we start from San Francisco. I bought a bike close to San Francisco and my fried has hired a Harley just Down Town San Francisco.
Our first schedule was take our bike over on a ship or on a flight, to expensive.
Second we gonna buy some bikes over there and take them back, also quite expensive and some problems with registration without an US Passport
Third we rent some.
OK it turned out this way, I bought one because my son is living in Florida and I keep the bike over there for next Years to use it when Im in the states. My friend rented one because it is the easiest way.
I would recommend rent a bike over there.
Your waiting time to get the bike over there and back is much to long. If it is fast 2 - 3 weeks each way by ship to the east coast, west coast take even longer.
Take a flight, is to expensive up to 2000,- Euro each way.
On a rental you have everything included if you strand they will pick you up. You have not to hire them for the Trip you rent the bike and do the trip on your own.

Hope I could help you a little , Manfred
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 5:33 am Thread Starter

Thanks Manfred....

We gave renting a bike a little glance over but we wanted to take our own bikes really... However like you say, if you get standed they collect you which is a plus point to consider.

They're are only 2 of us looking at this right now and we will get this done 'by hook or crook'. I guess it's finding the easiest option from everyone's experiences

Once again many thanks and have a great trip in May. We are setting off in May for Santander, Pyrenees, Andorra, France and Belguim......counting down the days

Ride safe

PmC

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 5:52 am

Good luck for you and your Guy's too.

Take care, Manfred
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 6:54 am

I considered shipping my bike to Ireland when I went, but between the cost, the time, the hassle with customs, and the chance of damage during shipping, I rented a bike there. It was less expensive, less of a headache, and I had the safety net of the rental company. But Ireland's a helluva lot smaller than the US.

Look at Eaglerider for long-term rentals. They're a national chain, and would probably be your best bet.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 9:04 am

If you really want to bring your bike, considering going into and out of Canada instead. It is a lot less hassle than the US. Others have made a great trip going into Toronto and out of Calgary or Vancouver (or vice versa). Crossing the border into the US once you are on the ground is not a big deal.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in