Singing in the Rain. Just Singing in the Rain! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Singing in the Rain. Just Singing in the Rain!

"Every biker knows that if you don't ride in the rain, you don't really ride...."

I came across this statement at a website for a pretty cool product- a helmet/bike cam.
Here's the link to show I'm not making this up:

http://www.tachyoninc.com/bikercam.php

The statement got me thinking, and I would like to pose a few questions to the members here with no right or wrong answers:

1. Do you as a rider agree with this statement?
You can simply answer "yes" or "no" or you can elaborate.

I imagine most riders have been caught in some rain at least once to some degree or another. I've read some posts here of some rather long distances in the rain. For those who have:

2. How far or how long did you continue in the rain?
a) until it let up (or until you got to where you were going)?
b) until you got to the next overpass or dry spot to wait it out (assuming no rain gear)?
c) until you got to the next place to take shelter in a dry restaurant/store/hotel/etc. to
wait it out?
d) until you could navigate to an alternate course/route that was dry?

3. For those who have a choice of using a cage or riding your bike when you find it raining, how many take the bike anyway?

4. For those who would be riding two-up, how does this, if any, influence your answers to the above?

Again, no right or wrong answers. Just curious to know.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bikerj; Mar 23rd, 2012 at 10:54 am. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:19 pm

Re: Singing in the Rain. Just Singing in the Rain!

I love riding in the rain. I'm dressed for it and it poses no issues for starting the ride or continuing.
This being said, there's a limit. When it's raining so hard it's dangerous - time to stop.
post #3 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabadou2
I love riding in the rain. I'm dressed for it and it poses no issues for starting the ride or continuing.
This being said, there's a limit. When it's raining so hard it's dangerous - time to stop.
Thanks for the feedback

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #4 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 2:28 pm
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Funny, I used that quote in a novel. And I say Yes.

I ride rain or shine, hot or cold. Getting caught in the rain is just part of riding in Florida.

The longest distance I've traveled in the rain was from Morton Washington to Eureka California, down the PCH while on a vacation trip. Rained so hard it drowned the BMW/Garmin Street Pilot GPS, which is water resistant.

I have all the gear to be comfortable in the wet, but my gloves became so saturated that my hands kept getting cold, so I stopped at a grocery store and picked up a set of dish-washing gloves to slip over my riding gloves.
Looked funny as hell, but worked great.
post #5 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 6:11 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I enjoy riding in the rain & I don't slow down either unless it's a light sprinkle. Once the roads are washed by a good rain it's hammer down time. Watch out for manhole covers,railroad crossings & the paint on the pavement.. I don't have a car so that is a moot point. The farthest I've rode in the rain is just under 1,100 miles straight. I can't count the 800 mile plus trips I've had in the rain. I use to keep track of my yearly miles I rode in the rain (but not anymore) & one year was just under 12,000 miles.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
"Every biker knows that if you don't ride in the rain, you don't really ride...."

1. Do you as a rider agree with this statement?
You can simply answer "yes" or "no" or you can elaborate.

2. How far or how long did you continue in the rain?
a) until it let up (or until you got to where you were going)?
b) until you got to the next overpass or dry spot to wait it out (assuming no rain gear)?
c) until you got to the next place to take shelter in a dry restaurant/store/hotel/etc. to
wait it out?
d) until you could navigate to an alternate course/route that was dry?

3. For those who have a choice of using a cage or riding your bike when you find it raining, how many take the bike anyway?

4. For those who would be riding two-up, how does this, if any, influence your answers to the above?
1. No. Who am I to judge what is in another rider's heart?

2. - (a) When I am riding, I do not stop for rain. I may take a brief pause to change or adjust gear, and then I go on. Rain adds to the fun and adventure. I have ridden all day in pouring rain. That said, if there were a safety risk (ice, lightning, tornadoes, flash floods ...) I would not hesitate. I would seek safe shelter immediately.

3. For local trips, it depends on where I am going and what I will be doing when I get there. For longer trips, the question is moot - I take the motorcycle unless the family is also on the trip.

4. SWMBO rides pillion only when conditions are ideal.
post #7 of 36 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I enjoy riding in the rain & I don't slow down either unless it's a light sprinkle. Once the roads are washed by a good rain it's hammer down time. Watch out for manhole covers,railroad crossings & the paint on the pavement.. I don't have a car so that is a moot point. The farthest I've rode in the rain is just under 1,100 miles straight. I can't count the 800 mile plus trips I've had in the rain. I use to keep track of my yearly miles I rode in the rain (but not anymore) & one year was just under 12,000 miles.
Thanks Dave for the feedback. All I can say is Wow! I'd cordially say you're hardcore.

My most annoying issue is being able to see, so when I can't I wind up stopping- good excuse to take a break- maybe have a doughnut.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 36 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 7:16 am

Riding in the rain - been there done that. Two days of steady downpour from Franklin, NC to Harrisburg, PA. Riding solo on I-81. Likewise from Freeport, ME to the Delaware Water Gap.

Riding two up in the rain? Only when we were caught by a cloudburst in Colorado or heading home from Nova Scotia. The missus will tolerate rain, but prefers not to get soaked.

If it's raining in the morning and the forecast is for a sunny afternoon, I'll wait. My edict for travelling is borrowed from Thru-hikers on the A.T., "You have no where to go and all day to get there!"

As to whether I will venture out when it's raining depends on a couple of conditions.
1. A six mile round trip to the grocery store? Take the cage. Anything longer - ride.
2. How heavy is it raining? I don't care how much siping is on your tires, large puddles (Think pond or lake) and hydroplaning is no fun on two wheels.
3. How heavy is it raining? Motorists aren't expecting motorcycles to be out in the rain.

Which beggars this question, "Why do I see most rainsuits being offered in either grey or black? I know there are some in yellow in Hi-Viz, but is it just my perception that most are designed to make you blend in with the rain, mist and fog?

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #9 of 36 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 9:20 am

I've ridden in rain, snow, hail, and pretty much any other bad weather. I've ridden in rain so heavy that the bike's bogged down from water getting sucked into the intake. The key thing is having the right gear on, or in absence of that, being OK with getting wet.

I tend not to leave the house on the bike if it's raining, unless I'm heading out on a trip. If I'm commuting to work, I'll take the car. I don't have anything to prove to myself or anyone else, and I don't measure my worth or manliness based on the weather I ride in.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #10 of 36 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 9:33 am

I am with 05train, if it is raining when I open the door I take the truck. Otherwise lets ride!!

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #11 of 36 Old Mar 27th, 2012, 5:41 pm

If you never ride in the rain...how does your bike get clean?

Left at 4:30 am from Northern Burbs heading down to Norther Ga and NC smokies trip. didn't quit to Louisville. got my tunes cooking and well dressed in waterproof riding gear with Frogg togs over them and Rubber coated oversize mitts. A little dampness around the edges but I was dancing around and enjoying things....sure got some strange looks of pity/amusement from my fellow road users though.

Ron
post #12 of 36 Old Mar 27th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well, if you don't ride in the rain in the PNW, then your riding is pretty much limited to July through October. If, on the other hand, you don't mind the rain, then the riding season lasts all year as even winter temps are reasonably mild most of the time.

I have ridden in sprinkles, showers and torrential downpours. Other than being extra careful right after the rain starts (and staying out of the center of the lane, where oil drips become a dangerous slick until washed off) the LT is a superb ride in the rain. Great protection and you stay reasonably dry (as long as you're moving). I also have to put in a plug for the BMW Comfort Shell riding gear. Absolutely the most rainproof riding gear I have ever owned and I don't have to stop to put in a liner when the rain starts. My wife and I both have them, have ridden in all day downpours and stayed completely dry. Amazing stuff.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 36 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 11:00 pm

I don't intentionally ride in the rain but it does come with the territory..so I'm always prepared gear wise. Some of my more memorable rides have been in the rain. If it were all sunshine / blue skies...what fun would that be

I don't mean to stray this off topic but was wondering...

Does anyone use front fender extensions...while riding in the rain?

Are there adverse effects in how the water spay is laid back towards the back tire?

Dana

God Bless America
2011RT~"Favor" of God
post #14 of 36 Old Mar 31st, 2012, 7:47 pm

I have to say, I hate riding in the rain. The poor vision, the slick lines, iffy traction.
I check the weather before every ride, and before heading to work (especially), I don't want to ride home in the rain if I don't have to. But I love it when it does rain and I catch the flack from the guys.
I am always prepared for it, don't stop unless its really heavy or there is lighting, But I still hate it. Besides all the other reasons, the water beads up at top of windshield and hits me in the face shield with big drops.
post #15 of 36 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:52 am

Riding through light rain can be a great way to cool down in 90+ degrees. Waking up the 2nd morning of a ride to another all day downpour makes me want to stay in bed.

As long as I keep moving on my R1200RT, I can stay reasonably dry is most rain. It is only when I stop at light I get wet.

I try to avoid riding at night, just way too hard to see the road.

--Chris
post #16 of 36 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

1. Yes, but there's a limit. Rain is one thing, severe weather is another topic, when wind, visibility or other developments create an unsafe environment, time to get off the road & wait it out.

2. e) all of the above (see answer to 1.)

3. One up, depends on forecast, two up it's the cage.

4. Mama don't like riding in the rain. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #17 of 36 Old May 9th, 2012, 10:20 am Thread Starter

My wife and I had just made it back to the airport in Lansing, Michigan after picking up our HD Wideglide w/ only 409 miles on it from a town about 40 min. or so away, and we were turning in the rental car when it started to sprinkle pretty good size drops. I got the business done, and we took off to find the hotel, and it was raining pretty good by the time we got out of the airport. I ended up going the wrong way to the hotel, and once we got pointed in the right way, we didn't have far to go, but it was rush-hour, so a lot of stop and go initially. We got on the local highway, which was a brief trip and got off at the exit and the hotel was just around the corner. I had called ahead of time to see if they had a place to park it out of the weather, and they gladly suggested I park it out front under the overhang where people drove up. We probably ran around in circles in the rain for a good 25 min. Anyway, I had been tense as all get out, hoping nothing would happen, jeopardizing my wife's well-being. We were as soaking wet as clothes taken out of the washing machine in mid cycle, leaving a trail of puddles all the way to the room. The hotel staff was very understanding, and my wife was in good spirits the whole time, and it was then I knew I had the perfect back seater.

We ran into a little rain leaving Lansing for Illinois, but it was very brief, and that was the last of the rain we saw while riding for the 1800+ mile trip. I guess I'll be buying rain suits for the next trip.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #18 of 36 Old May 9th, 2012, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Benny, I meant to ask you. I noticed you use to have a Concours. How did that handle in the rain and did you stay fairly dry w/ the available fairing on it?

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #19 of 36 Old May 9th, 2012, 10:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

My Connie was the original 1000cc version. I put a rifle windshield on her which created a quiet air pocket and kept me pretty dry (except for hands) unless I was sitting still. My wife was never quite comfortable on the Connie even with the Corbin seat & backrest. That thing ran like a scalded cat and was excellent in the twisties, it was like it read my mind. Could never get more than 5k out of the D205 radials but, MAN I miss that bike. That said, I could never ride more than 500 miles at a time due to engine vibration. My first LT ride was 600 miles and I've had many long rides without any hint of "hand buzzing."

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #20 of 36 Old May 10th, 2012, 12:26 pm

I had to travel 350 miles one way to Blacksburg VA for a meeting Wednesday morning. Let Tuesday about noon knowing I would go through some showers but my gear is waterproof. No problem getting up there. Expected some of the same on my return Wednesday afternoon but felt like the Peanuts character on the way home. I have weather radar on my GPS and spent the majority of the day in yellows. While I don't particularly mind the rain, I would prefer dry weather. When I hit the reds on the radar that usually indicates significant wind and lightning and I tend to find those times to grab a bite to eat.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #21 of 36 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 7:03 am

June 2008 Grand Junction CO. to Washington PA. It was so bad state troopers closed the bridge just west of Grand Junction, Indiana closed I 70 for about 100 Miles, all do to flooding and high winds. The LT loved it, ran at or above the Speed limit all the way, scared the h&ll out of me. It made a rain rider out me.
My new GT likes the rain too, but really hasn't proved herself to me.

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #22 of 36 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 7:04 am

June 2008 Grand Junction CO. to Washington PA. It was so bad state troopers closed the bridge just west of Grand Junction, Indiana closed I 70 for about 100 Miles, all do to flooding and high winds. The LT loved it, ran at or above the Speed limit all the way, scared the h&ll out of me. It made a rain rider out me. My new GT likes the rain too, but really hasn't proved herself to me.

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #23 of 36 Old Aug 18th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Rode in a steady and hard rain for 350 miles on the Alaska Highway one time. What made it so notable was that there was never a letup in the constant downpour, even for a few minutes. But the most memorable ride associated with weather was from Blacksburg, Virginia the 50 miles to home in Willis, on my Yamaha 350 single. It started as a dusting of snow, steadily getting to be harder snowfall all the way. I stayed in the tracks made by cars (and later trucks), quite unable to turn around after a certain point. A mile from home I gave up and plowed into the front yard of a neighbor in 14" of snow, falling over gently. They couldn't identify what that thing in the front yard was! Spent the next two nights there, eventually walking the last mile to home. Total snowfall that night was 30", and my bike stayed at the neighbor's for a week.

1970 BSA 441
1979 Yamaha 350 Exciter
1952 Ariel 350 Red Hunter
1946 Ariel 500 Red Hunter
1949 Velocette 350
1950 AJS 500
2001 Harley Softtail
2004 BMW R1150rt
2006 883 Sportster
2007 Vstar 1100

another 2004 RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1969 Moto Guzzi 750
1970 Moto Guzzi 750
post #24 of 36 Old Aug 18th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Last year we came off the ferry in Newfoundland, driving rain and high winds greeted us. So we headed to a Tim Hortons and stayed there for about 3 hours. The winds died down a bit so we decided that we could make it to our hotel reservation. It rained steady for about 1 1/2 hours then it was windy and overcast for about 15 minutes and then back to hard rain for 2 hours. We made it to our hotel and were in pretty good shape but tired, I think it takes more out of you riding in bad conditions. We had a two day stay at that hotel so we had a good sleep in the next morning.

Gerhard
post #25 of 36 Old Aug 18th, 2013, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Rain doesn't stop me, I've got the gear for it. I just did a1400 mile trip around lake superior. Three days of rain and temps around 50. I stayed warm and dry. I did stop once on that trip due to the rain. It was coming down so hard I couldn't see very good. I took a15 minute break to allow it to let up some.

The wife is definitely a fair weather rider!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #26 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Rain doesn't stop me on trips, but commuting to work I take the car. Freeways here can get a little nuts.

Best rain experience was just about a month ago. Rode up to Mammoth with the wife riding her bike. On the trip up, we ran into rain several times for very short periods, but the temp's were in the low 90's so it was really nice to get wet. But on the way home, with the wife leading, I saw a thunderstorm in the mountains with some of it covering the road. Didn't think to much about it as it really looked smaller than what we had just went through. As we continued I could see the traffic go to a single lane, and the rain was now heavy. Too late for rain gear, then when the water started running across the road it was too late to catch the wife and turn around. She kept going and we rode several miles through a flash flood. Water was 3-4" deep across the road, but both bikes did very well, and all I was repeating to myself was "don't stop, don't stop". Just as we got through the flash flood, it started to hail on us. Ouch. After several more miles we got through it and stopped to wring ourselves out, and think about the dumb luck two stupid people just had....

Mark
post #27 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Living and riding in the Rockies there is rain.

When it hails it gets interesting. This is the instance where a GS is a poor touring bike compared to something with a serious fairing.

Rain gear needs to be serious and not flimsy. For me it doubles as the "windstop" for Airflow suit. Rukka, BMW, Triumph, not froggy togs.

Remember that a bike isn't a Farraday cage like your car, so get out if there's lightening.

Bikes for me are for fun and not commuting, so I'll take the car if it's raining or not. But, not canceling a planned big ride if have to start out in rain.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #28 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Garage

I like that title
Though I have done it many times I tend to remember the very first and the last time.
It was raining crazy and I was at home dressing. My wife asked "you going out?" Yes and not in the car either. "What! you going on the bike (KZ1000st) in all this rain" Yep my first test in the rain. And what a memory warm water coming off the pipes onto my blue jeans felt good. Everything was soaked except my head(helmet) and top(rain jacket). Back then everything I wore was work clothes. Not far maybe 25 miles round trip.
And now Cody - Buffalo WY. hwy 14/16. This was heavy steady rain.
Did I have a choice not really. Did I get wet no Firstgear all weather jacket/pants, gloves yes, soaked, windshield lowered after fogging, Shoie multitec . . . priceless.
That evening I knew I was not camping so just rode it through to motel. Pulled up under the canopy to go sign in came back out no more rain. New back tire in MT coupled with up and down hills made my ride pretty safe . . . no standing water on the roadway.
I will probably forget this one also when the next time comes. Now I am fully prepared gear-wise. Still need some rain overmits.
ride safe
post #29 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 12:20 am
cws

Garage

Rain, shmain... its only water.
I've had snow stop me once... down in Tassie...

but it's this stuff that always bothers me... especially when I thought I'd make it home from work before the storm hit, so didn't have the wet's on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
Remember that a bike isn't a Farraday cage like your car, so get out if there's lightening.
BTW, did get struck by lighting while driving home in the car up the freeway to Central Coast once... scary when all the hairs are standing on end and everything around you is white!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #30 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 7:06 am

Three days straight. The LT does a pretty good job, normally, but that one four day weekend in South Dakota was the longest, wettest, miserablest, trip I've ever taken.

That said, I had a great time.

When you're booking it downhill to find warmth, it's indicating 37 degrees, there's moisture on the outside AND inside of your visor, there's a constant heavy rain, AND you're doing 74...well, I'dve slowed down if the conditions warranted it.

I had the seat and handlebars on full, otherwise I would have been stranded 40 miles from my hotel. They went from being a convenience to a necessity.

But there's no wet like motorcycle wet. My previous VTX...could get a guy soaked. The only dry spot was the seat when I got off. the wind funneled the water over the tank and down my thighs making a puddle in my crotch.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #31 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Rain, shmain... its only water.
I've had snow stop me once... down in Tassie....
Chris, that's a neat shot you captured.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Aug 20th, 2013 at 9:11 am.
post #32 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 9:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcarve
...A mile from home I gave up and plowed into the front yard of a neighbor in 14" of snow,...Spent the next two nights there, eventually walking the last mile to home. Total snowfall that night was 30", and my bike stayed at the neighbor's for a week.
Okay. Did I miss something? You were within one mile of home, yet you spent two nights at that location before walking the last mile to get home?
I'm also guessing you had no means of retrieving the bike yourself, hence the reason it stayed at neighbor's house for a week? That's wild.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #33 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:34 am

Jeff... It snowed 30" that night. The walk that last mile to the house was a real ordeal (within 2 days it had gone down to about 24"). The stay at the friends house was comforting, especially since noone else was at my house. I rode my bike home when the snow was gone from the roads. It is actually a lot of good memories... Lizzie Mae (my neighbor) had a warm fire in the cookstove and served fantastic meals. Why would I want to leave that for a mile walk in deep snow to a cold, empty house?

1970 BSA 441
1979 Yamaha 350 Exciter
1952 Ariel 350 Red Hunter
1946 Ariel 500 Red Hunter
1949 Velocette 350
1950 AJS 500
2001 Harley Softtail
2004 BMW R1150rt
2006 883 Sportster
2007 Vstar 1100

another 2004 RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1969 Moto Guzzi 750
1970 Moto Guzzi 750
post #34 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcarve
Jeff... It snowed 30" that night. The walk that last mile to the house was a real ordeal (within 2 days it had gone down to about 24"). The stay at the friends house was comforting, especially since noone else was at my house. I rode my bike home when the snow was gone from the roads. It is actually a lot of good memories... Lizzie Mae (my neighbor) had a warm fire in the cookstove and served fantastic meals. Why would I want to leave that for a mile walk in deep snow to a cold, empty house?
Lizzie Mae sounds like quite a woman. Are you sure it was just by accident you plowed into her front yard?

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #35 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Okay. Did I miss something? You were within one mile of home, yet you spent two nights at that location before walking the last mile to get home?
I'm also guessing you had no means of retrieving the bike yourself, hence the reason it stayed at neighbor's house for a week? That's wild.
You could tell when someone hears talk of the snow belt and asks what is that.
Well I was going to work one night when it started snowing and the next day nothing moved cause the white stuff was still piling up for a record 20 something inches. I too did not get home for 2 days. Luckily a bike was not my mode of transportation. Come pay us a visit in mid January.
ride safe
post #36 of 36 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Yes all real riders ride in rain when they choose. If it scares you, you're still a newb and need to learn before you get caught out and/or hurt. Not bravado- results of owning only a bike and not a cage until in my 30s, now with about 50 yrs of riding experience.

I will ride in any rain conditions that allow passable visibility - more worried about cagers seeing me where there is traffic than I am about my own vision (especially in spray from high speed traffic). I use highly reflective and bright yellow external rain gear as well as plenty of extra lights and reflectivity on my bikes to help. Other practical considerations are pinlocks for the helmet shields plus a helmet with decent ventilation to prevent fogging. Plus a properly placed windscreen so you can use the screen windblast to clear droplets from your helmet. (The RT electric adjustable is perfect for wet weather riding)

Re choosing a cage- sure if I'm heading to business appt when the rain starts- eliminates some clothing changes- but not otherwise. Before retiring, my RT was my usual ride to work (and the only bike in exec row parking) even on days when rain was possible in the PM. Always have suitable gear on the bike in the throttle side case. But mostly use a 1 piece Roadcrafter for commuting riding.

I will ride all day in rain if necessary on a trip but usually one runs out of the rain zone in a couple hours or less, often only 15-30 minutes. On our last trip to the mountains it rained most of the way back (about 4 hours, then went to 102) and every day there. Either ride in the wet or stay in the room...

I've been know to detour into showers on hot humid summer days (sans rain gear) just to get some core cooling. A wet mesh jacket dries quickly but does some great cooling while drying.

Bike tires with a narrow heavily loaded footprint and rounded profile are very resistant to hydroplaning. More than once I've found myself riding in conditions that put cages parked on the shoulder, though riding at reduced speed.

Get some good external rain gear and have at it in some well picked conditions for learning. Do not merge this with attempts to eliminate chicken strips. As always, death grips on the bars are a sign of excess stress- practice relaxing and letting the bike do it thing.
You'll be surprised at how simple it is.

The SO and I have never interrupted a trip for rain and she uses an R1100S at present (her all time favorite was her old R80). She only rides pillion when she wants to drink at dinner, making me the DD. Are you wimpier than a girl??

FWIW, BMW Summer Pro gloves are far too hot to make a decent summer hot weather glove but with their GoreTex liner are one of the best all weather rain gloves out there. Aside from being waterproof, liner won't come out when you take the glove off. Suitable for all except the coldest (less than 40) and hottest (over 80-85) weather. Highly recommended. (the BMW true hot weather glove is the Air version but its not waterproof)
Also, Barkbusters or similar are great in the rain especially if its cold. The S-7 fits or can be made to fit most BMWs (I adapted it to the SOs R1100S, for example).

Last edited by racer7; Aug 27th, 2013 at 3:02 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in