Forgot how much fun they were. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Forgot how much fun they were.

My son joined the Air Force so we're selling his 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250. I rode it down to Falcone Power Sports, the BMW motorcycle dealer here in Indy, so they can list it on consignment. My LT was in for service so I was going to ride it back. This bike was so much fun to ride. It is nimble, reactive and very easy to handle. Not a lot of power but I see why they say it is the perfect starter bike. My son outgrew it 3 months after we bought it and started riding my wife's F800ST. I was rolling along down Fall Creek Blvd just south of 38th street coming around a curve and before I knew I hit a pile of gravel in the middle of the lane. The back tire slid to the left, I turn the forks to the left, the bike wobbled just a bit then straightened up, I hit the throttle and that little baby acted as if nothing had happened. I let out a HOT DAMN!! and said "I gotta get me one of these"...oh yeah, I got one, lol. Needless to say, the boss said sell it. She's only 5'1", I think I can take her, but I ain't gonna try it. That just made me realize that I want a more sporty bike and I'm sure that after a couple of days that Ninja 250 would become boring. I just found a 2007 K1200GT with 29K miles for $11,000, a bit pricey I think, still looking though. If I buy it I'll keep my LT. But I'm also thinking about the 1600GT. If I go with that then I'll sell the LT. Or maybe just buy one of the Japanese sportbikes, 750cc and up as a change from the LT from time to time. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Romeo
In my garage:
2014 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Ducati XDiavel S (wife's)
2013 Son's Triumph Daytona 675 Jason DeSalvo Limited Edition. Only 40 built, he has #9
2017 Ducati Monster 1200R (son's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 10:55 am

Re: Forgot how much fun they were.

Hey Romeo, I've always thought one of those 650 vstroms would be the cats meow for a fun/cheap alternative-backup ride. I've had a coupla' suzuki's and they were pretty good bikes...

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo157
She's only 5'1", I think I can take her, but I ain't gonna try it.
Smart man.

"Size doesn't count for squat in a battle of wits." - Sun Tzu

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:16 pm

So lessee . . .

You liked the Ninja 250, and I totally get that. I've ridden them and they are BIG FUN. They also happen to be my first recommendation for any female wanting to get into riding. For guys, I go with a 500.

But yes, you'll be bored within a few weeks if that. Need more umph.

I love my current 2010 Concours14 ... as I loved my '98 ZX-11 Ninja. Goes without saying that I love my Kaws. Having said that, you simply can't go wrong with a just about any Kaw, Suzuki, Honda, or Yamaha. Bang for the buck, as compared to a Beemer ... well, it's a no-brainer.

My recommendation: How about a Ninja 650? At $7500 MSRP, wow! That's an amazing price for an amazingly fun bike. And better ergos than a lot of full-blown sport bikes. And you could probably score one for under $5k just a couple years old.

Good luck with the hunt. Lots of great options out there.

- Joe
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Just to put in my 2 cents worth, I bought a Triumph Speedmaster with the intent of putting a side car on it, which I did. However, I had an absolute ball riding it solo before I connected the hack. I can disconnect the hack fairly easily if I want to and of course still have the LT. You may want to consider looking at the Triumph line up?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Kawasaki Z1000, nuff said!
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 7:56 pm

....fjr1300 yaaaaa hoooooo

......nothing important to say.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Just to put in my 2 cents worth, I bought a Triumph Speedmaster with the intent of putting a side car on it, which I did. However, I had an absolute ball riding it solo before I connected the hack. I can disconnect the hack fairly easily if I want to and of course still have the LT. You may want to consider looking at the Triumph line up?

Bill, glad to see that you are moving along with the hack. I apologize for not replying yet to your email of last month. Every time I sit to answer it, I get distracted...

SQUIRREL!!!!

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 8:57 am

I enjoy riding my 2001 Yamaha FZ1. I bought it new, and it's the only motorcycle I ever bought new. It's not too heavy, handles great, good power, great brakes, and has decent ergonomics. I call it an "old man's crotch rocket"

(Not that I'm "old")

Just Ride
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lartross
Hey Romeo, I've always thought one of those 650 vstroms would be the cats meow for a fun/cheap alternative-backup ride. I've had a coupla' suzuki's and they were pretty good bikes...
I had a 2011 vstrom 650... A lot of fun to ride for sure. Being 240 lbs though I needed a little more power.
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 11:31 am

Try a BMW R1100S. Most are around $5K these days.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Don't overlook the naked bike, the BMW R1200R. 10 months and passing thru 14,500 miles. I'm always thinking of excuses to take it out for a ride

Mother Goose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in