http://youtu.be/K16YnmJN0fc

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:43 am

Re: Hell Roads - Tail of the Dragon

one of these days...it is on my bucket list.....

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 1:39 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

I rode it up and back a few years ago when CCR was in that area. Had to borrow a friend's LT to do it (thanks, Grif).

It was fun to be sure, but way too short. I'd much rather take Hwy 36 in NorCal (150+ miles of twisties), or Hwy 12 in Idaho/Montana (100+ miles of twisties), or any one of a number of other great roads that last for hours on end.

Hell, in that area, The Cherehola Skyway is a better road by far, as are many of the smaller side roads out there. The local Mad Maps will give you lots of ideas.

At this point, the Dragon's reputation far outweighs its reality . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I rode it up and back a few years ago when CCR was in that area. Had to borrow a friend's LT to do it (thanks, Grif).

It was fun to be sure, but way too short. I'd much rather take Hwy 36 in NorCal (150+ miles of twisties), or Hwy 12 in Idaho/Montana (100+ miles of twisties), or any one of a number of other great roads that last for hours on end.

Hell, in that area, The Cherehola Skyway is a better road by far, as are many of the smaller side roads out there. The local Mad Maps will give you lots of ideas.

At this point, the Dragon's reputation far outweighs its reality . . .
Dang it Meese. I could've written that paragraph just about word for word. But I've ridden the Dragon on 4 of my bikes. Every rider should do it, but there are many better roads as you stated. In that area, the Cherohala Skyway is THEE road to ride.

- Joe
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 10:39 am

I would still have to vote for 666 (renamed 191 and also known as the Coronado Trail) in eastern Arizona for several reasons:

You get to climb 7000 feet in elevation, and boy howdy does that feel good when you start out at 95F. Since it's uphill all the way I rarely touch the brakes, it's ALL throttle.

454 curves of all types, 100 miles and recently repaved - 'nuff said. It takes about three hours fire wall forward with a quick stop to take in the magnificent "Blue" wilderness. Even better is a picnic lunch and a hike through a rain shadow fern grotto - in Arizona??

No side roads and virtually no traffic as long as you stay off of it in the middle of the summer. Even then traffic is light by any standard and they are SOOOO slow you can pass with just the twist of the wrist.

Kachina Hot Springs at one end for $80.00:

Our 2 hour package started with a 10 minute soak in a private Roman style tub. Roman style is square with steps to enter so it is not a traditional tub like Americans are use to but it was large & deep enough to soak your entire body. There is a constant stream of fresh water flowing so the sound is very soothing. Note: the tubs are big enough for two people if a couple wanted to share one and they are emptied after every guest. After this soak, you get a full body massage. The woman who worked on me was FANTASTIC! I donít get massages very often but this was most definitely one of the better ones. After the massage, you return to soak in your tub for another 10 mins. Then you exit and get a full body wrap (sheet, blanket, foil wrap) with a facial and reflexology done on your feet, all while you are toasty warm in the wrap.

... and ice cold beer and fly fishing with Wendy at Hannigan Meadows Lodge at the other:

Hannagan Meadow Lodge - Lodge rooms and Cabin rentals. Ski, hike, fish and relax in Arizona

It don't get no better.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Dang it Meese. I could've written that paragraph just about word for word. But I've ridden the Dragon on 4 of my bikes. Every rider should do it, but there are many better roads as you stated. In that area, the Cherohala Skyway is THEE road to ride.
No argument with either of you. The Cherohala is one of my favorite roads in the country, I just wish it was longer.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in