How Far Is a Ride ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 3:40 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Question How Far Is a Ride ?

I think I have rode every day so far this year but a few of my rides have been fairly short. I'm hoping this might be my first year of riding all 365 days.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 4:31 am

Re: How Far Is a Ride ?

How far is a ride? Interesting question...

I think it depends partly on the bike. If 2 guys would tell me they went for a ride, one on a 50cc, the other one on an LT, I would have a different notion of how far far really might be.
I would even appreciate differently the farness of cc-equivalent bikes, e.g. an LT driver or an HD-apehanger rider.

TImewise, I find it hard to fix a minimum duration, but it would supposed to be shorter than a daytrip.

Then there is the part of understatement the rider gives to his " Yeah, we went for a ride the other day."

For me it would be anything in between the time to warm up the engine and a daytrip...

What is your definition of a ride?

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 5:40 am

Different for each person of course.

Whe I was riding the LT I got into LD, so my opinion of a "ride" for me was a whole lot different than it may be for someone else.

When I lived in San Diego, and rode with the San Diego BMW group most weekends, a ride was usually about 4-6 hours, and since most of it was in the mountain twisties, mileage would vary considerably. If I was riding to somewhere out of San Diego, it was usually all day, many times 12-17 hours.

I know other riders that think 3-4 hours total is a long ride, even if they stopped several times during it. I would silently snicker to myself, but I was not on their bike, doing what they like to do. I was falling into the trap of putting my ride above theirs, when they enjoyed theirs as much as I did mine.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 6:25 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I say a ride is a ride. No mater what you ride or for how long. On Sundays I try to ride all of my bikes. I go to breakfast on the GTL & that can be from 100 to 300 miles. I then ride both of the Hondas to keep the batteries up & make sure they are running good. Those rides are 2 to 10 miles only. If I get to ride 150 to 200 days a year I'm happy.

Work always gets in the way of play but with out work there is no playing.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 6:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

When I lived in Dallas (20 some years ago) all I had was a Bike for almost two years, did I ride every day? Sure I did! From 100 degree days to those rare occasional icey days, some where short, some were long, but every one had the helmet, the leather, and the smile that comes with being on a bike. So I believe a 10 minute trip to the store is a ride, funny though on a bike a 10 minute trip to the store always seems to take a bit longer . Anything that starts and ultimatley ends in the same day back at your home I call a ride but it aint a trip. A trip takes you farther away and you spend at least one night away from your own bed.

-Preston
Ď02 K1200 LTC | í94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 6:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I say a ride is a ride. No mater what you ride or for how long. On Sundays I try to ride all of my bikes. I go to breakfast on the GTL & that can be from 100 to 300 miles. I then ride both of the Hondas to keep the batteries up & make sure they are running good. Those rides are 2 to 10 miles only. If I get to ride 150 to 200 days a year I'm happy.

Work always gets in the way of play but with out work there is no playing.
Ditto!!

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:

post #7 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Interesting, I set out for a little ride last Thursday when the temps were 60 degrees. Took off work with no destination except to ride. Came back after 344 miles and about 30 minutes left of daylight. It was one of those days when everything was right with the world. For some reason, I didn't mind going back to work Friday with and incredible smile as only another biker could understand. Got several thumbs up and a couple big waves while out. One couple at a rest stop ask if I was cold ridding. I told them no and if I was I would just turn on the heaters. Surprised, "you have heat"? Priceless. The LT sure draws interests from the public.
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Well, I have a few statements i use, There is the Went around the block which is between 5 to 50 miles. Went for some ice cream between 20 and 200 miles, and out to eat which is 50 to 300 miles and the always popular half mile trip to get the mail that has been as high as 500 miles. It seems that when I am going for "A Ride" it takes a little different prep for all day with internet weather checks and overlooking maps. All in the prospective.
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Thumbs up Re: How Far Is a Ride ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

I know other riders that think 3-4 hours total is a long ride, even if they stopped several times during it. I would silently snicker to myself, but I was not on their bike, doing what they like to do. I was falling into the trap of putting my ride above theirs, when they enjoyed theirs as much as I did mine.
That is very well put Dave! We tease the HD riders for their outfits and loud pipes, or the crotch rocket riders who enjoy "hanging out" in the twisties, but in the end they own and ride the bike of their liking. That is the freedom of choice.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:08 am

Quote:
I say a ride is a ride. [snip]
At the end of the day, I totally agree with Steve here. Any other answer is really just a big-boy peeing contest type of thang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Well said.

- Joe
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Quote:
I say a ride is a ride.
Very simple: A ride extends from the time you put up the stand, to the time you put it down again.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick578
Very simple: A ride extends from the time you put up the stand, to the time you put it down again.
Great news! I rode my LT TWICE today! Sidestand up. I backed it out of the garage and parked it on the sidewalk to use the space in my garage to change the brakes on my 4Runner. Sidestand down.

Sidestand up. Walked the LT back into its spot in the garage. Sidestand down.

Both of these were "hard rides", as I didn't start the engine. The LT moved both ways under foot power!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 7:16 am

I live 6 miles out of town so that is usually my ride, except when I have time to really get on the road. Dave & Lee, when I lived down your way in Concord, NC, I got a lot more riding time in than I do now, even the small difference in latitude made it warmer for more time.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 12:21 pm

I did 572 miles yesterday. Rain, 45 mph winds, tems from 67 to 40 deg. But sometimes i just take her out for 20 minutes. Its all good to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in