Is this a good price for a 2005 LT with 19K? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Is this a good price for a 2005 LT with 19K?

Just putting my feelers out to see if I should keep it or sell it. I put this ad together and I think this is the least I would let it go for based on how much I have invested, but maybe I need an education. Any thoughts or criticisms are welcome.

If this post is inappropriate or placing incorrectly I apologize in advance and will be glad to repost in another forum if guided there.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...833733971.html

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 6:22 am

Re: Is this a good price for a 2005 LT with 19K?

I purchased a 2005, with 19,000 miles, in good conditions, without the extras you have. I purchased it in December 2009 for $12,000. I'm in the DC area.
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 7:01 am

Good luck with that. I hope you can get a good price for it but just remember its 7 years old. I bought my 2003 in 2005 only 2 years old with only 1300 miles on it and paid less.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 8:22 am

Not to be a kill joy but KBB has your bike listed in excellent condition as $9765. NADA has it $8,025 to $10,156. You've got some great add ons and upgrades but generally those are write-offs when it comes time to sell.The other things you probably need to consider is the time of year (for most of the country), and the economy. I think most folks would agree with me that, regardless of where you live, winter is the worst time to sell the bike. It's a great time to buy a bike though. I picked up a 2000 LT with 40K on it for $4000 in December. My opinion is that you might want to re-think your price. But regardless, good luck with the sale!
FD
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 9:21 am

Agree with the others. You most likely will realize a better return, if you remove the farkels where possible and sell them separately if total $ received is most important. The only advantage to leaving the farkels on is if you have the bike priced very close to blue book value and a competitor offers a bike of same condition, but little or no farkels.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 9:37 am Thread Starter

Around here we ride all year. It was 77 degrees yesterday and last Saturday I could not find a parking spot for my bike (motorcycle only parking) at one of the local hangouts. So I am not sure that has too much to do with demand in SO Cal..

The resale value of any BMW compared to many other bikes is kind of sickening. I guess I should be glad I didn't take the out the door hit thee first owner took. He also put most of the add-on into it.

My reasons for selling are:

The bike is just too heavy. The cost and time to maintain it, even doing all the service myself, is outrageous. And last but not least is the constant fear of some catastrophic failure like, clutch, ABS or Final drive (or all of those). At roughly 3000.00 each at dealer prices to fix those, it would make resale an even bigger looser. I know myself and the first one of those to go I'd get rid of it at any price. So why not try now before it happens.

Anyway, thanks for listening and the pricing advice. I'm in no rush and the ads on Craigslist and Cycle Trader are free.

Last edited by tonygret; Feb 9th, 2012 at 10:57 am.
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:11 am

I had an 02, put 135k miles on it before I totaled it.

and unfortunately, near totaled myself.

So my wife is afraid I can't hold an LT up anymore with my damaged right side. We did sit on the new GTL and I think I can handle that one 2-up (she still wants to test ride first), so that is the answer if I do 2-up riding anymore.

She won't get withint a 3' radius of the K1300S, she had ONE ride on the K1200S I had before, that was it

Otherwise, I'd pay near what you are asking with most if not all the accessories because it is an 05 with the upgrades over the 02. Just have to find the person willing to pay some extra for the add-ons.

Its a great looking bike. its about 1/3 the cost of a new GTL. If I had a new right shoulder I'd be all over this LT as an answer to 2-up riding.
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Tony, just as a reference I paid around $15k for my 05, same color as yours, with just 10k miles 3 years ago. I now have around 66k miles.
It didn't come with any farkles though.
I think that you probably should leave the GPS as that model is now outdated is nicely integrated on your bike.
I am sure you can sell the mirrors quickly, and you probably can sell/swap your Rocky Meyer seats with a current LT owner and recoup some of your cost.

I am with you on the "heavy" issue. Have you tried an RT? You might like it better.

You seem to have done quite well with the maintenance. I think many LT owners over do the maintenance, JM2CW. I did a major maintenance before CCR last year, including bleeding brakes and changing out coolant, made new felt pads for the shift linkage, and new tires. Got most of my stuff from Beemer Boneyard. Total cost wasn't bad especially amortized over 2-3 years.

As far as issues the 05 has seen a lot less failures than earlier models.
I try to remember all this when I get tempted to sell and get a k1600, except that my LT is paid for.

Maybe in another 2 years or so I'll try to sell and pick up a slightly used k16 already depreciated...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

So today I was offered 8500.00 firm. This past Saturday I rode 572 miles in some of the worst conditions imaginable Rain, 45-55 MPH cross winds, temps in the low 40s. I could not have imagined being on a different bike during that ride. So taking all of this into consideration, I think I am left with only one option. Buy a third bike for the short rides in the twisters. Looks like the V-Strom may be back in the mix soon.
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 10:39 am

Tony,

Why would you give a $399.00 V1 away with your LT? That's just crazy bro'!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #11 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Tony,

As some have said, the only reason to leave accessories on the bike is to help push the sale. You can get more by selling them on the side, but it might take longer to sell the bike. The accessories make it stand out. You'll be lucky to get more than any book, but the accessories are the glitter to make the sale.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
So today I was offered 8500.00 firm. This past Saturday I rode 572 miles in some of the worst conditions imaginable Rain, 45-55 MPH cross winds, temps in the low 40s. I could not have imagined being on a different bike during that ride. So taking all of this into consideration, I think I am left with only one option. Buy a third bike for the short rides in the twisters. Looks like the V-Strom may be back in the mix soon.
Good call on a smaller, lighter bike for the local hauls IMHO. The LT is indeed the "weather" bike to ride...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Tony,

The ad says those (V1) are options they can buy from me for an additional cost.
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I ride the K75 to work (14 mi RT) and around town but hit the roads on the LT on the week ends! Yaaahooo!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #15 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Why aren't you using the lowrider for zipping around town? I have a softtail deuce that's my running around town and day rider. I love it, way more than the LT for short rides. Couldn't consider giving up the LT (except for a 1600) for riding with the wife or our yearly guy rides of 3,000+ miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in