Ever have to use the tools when away from home? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Ever have to use the tools when away from home?

This question came up on a thread about the few tools that come with a K1600 and as I was getting ready to hijack the thread, I stopped and started this one.

Thinking back to my last K1200LT with about 50,00 miles in 8 years, I don't think that I ever used the tool kit that came with the bike or the few tools or compressor that I added, on the highway. I did use the lug wrench each time to remove the rear tire for a replacement.

I have NEVER used any of the tools for highway repair. In fact, since I've been riding, and that's from the age of 16, I've never had a highway breakdown on a motorcycle, except for once running out of gas on a Honda many years ago. I wonder if I have any company if my luck will come to an end?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 9:39 am

Re: Ever have to use the tools when away from home?

I think the days of twisting a piece of bailing wire on the old HD to get you home are long gone
today's machinery (with the possible exception of Harley Davidson)
is mostly reliable and "high tech" enough were if it should break you most likely can't or aren't going to want to fix it on the side of the road,
since we all have cell phones

I still carry a good assortment of tire repair and various hand tools and a few parts,
mostly bulbs, fuses, solderless connectors, tape etc.
I've even carry a masterlink in my bags.

Obviously that's not for me, I never pass by a stranded motorist (car or bike)
I also "pride" myself on being very resourcefull in complex situations.

I recall two breakdowns in over 90K with my LT's........ my final drive
and the day were my fuel quick connect broke, I handled it
and wrote about it here, that's it,

I'm sure knowing the "attitude of this forum" it will only be a couple more post's
before somebody start's whining about the final drive.
"Dude" it's a $75 bearing, $400 if the dealer replaces it, get over it and move on!!

I would take this bike anywhere, anytime!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 6 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 9:41 am

I blew the main fuse on my Suzuki LC1500 once and lost a FD in Grand Junction. The first one I fixed and the other I hauled home...............and fixed............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
This question came up on a thread about the few tools that come with a K1600 and as I was getting ready to hijack the thread, I stopped and started this one.

Thinking back to my last K1200LT with about 50,00 miles in 8 years, I don't think that I ever used the tool kit that came with the bike or the few tools or compressor that I added, on the highway. I did use the lug wrench each time to remove the rear tire for a replacement.

I have NEVER used any of the tools for highway repair. In fact, since I've been riding, and that's from the age of 16, I've never had a highway breakdown on a motorcycle, except for once running out of gas on a Honda many years ago. I wonder if I have any company if my luck will come to an end?
Hi Dan,

I bought the extra toolkit for my K1200GT. See this thread (I re-posted the photos in post #20):

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=47358

I have used that toolkit at home for wheel removal and for replacing the spark plugs during the valve check. I didn't have the right tools for the job otherwise. See this discussion about tools for the spark plugs on the KGTs, including my lengthy post #4:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=37998

But you asked about using tools on the road. I have used tools on the road (mostly multi-day long distance rides) for the following:

* Portable air compressor to fill tires to the correct pressure.
* Tire repair kit to fix flats. Interestingly, I have used it several times on friends' bikes, but not on my own (over 30 years). The one time I took a nail (actually, a screw), I was close to the dealer, who replaced the tire.
* 10 mm combination wrench to adjust the gear shift lever. After I remove or install the peg extenders, I have to adjust the gear shift lever. When riding on a trip, I usually need to tweak it once or twice to get the setting to "perfect".
* Assorted tools (especially the T-25) to do the following:
-- Removing the windscreen to take it into the motel shower with me. Really.
-- Getting into the battery compartment to access the connector for the compressor, to get out the heattroller for the heated jacket liner, etc.
-- Adjusting the handlebars.

A good air compressor is worth carrying on a long trip. Meese recommended a Thomas 215 (model 215ADC38/12). They are quite durable and powerful for their size. You may be able to find them used - they are popular for motor home levelers.

http://www.gd-thomas.com/product.aspx?id=12622&tp=p

Meese carries a more complete tool set. He performs basic maintenance operations on the road including oil changes and wheel removal for tire changes.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 10:47 am

I will always adhere to Don Arthur's advice on this topic. Don't pack any tool on your back that you don't use in your garage. Nothing worse the trying to do a roadside repair with crappy tools.

And I repaired my LT several times whilst roadside. Three shifter linkages, throttle cable, and a quick-disconnect fuel line fitting right off the top of my head. Not to mention several times using my tire repair kits and air-compressor to help others.

Always be prepared.

- Joe
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Years ago like 4 decades ago, road trip on a Honda CB450(great bike of its time) had to replace a drive chain, and a rear tire. I think I did a battery also on a trip back then. Recently on a trip to Dallas, once there I tightened a windshield mounting bracket using my tool kit. Got the info to do that job off this forum thank you. I belive in Murphy he rules, so I carry an after market tool kit. By the way that CB carried me 30000 miles and never left me stranded. Rode it all over the western states. Now have 13000 on my 09 and it has meet my expectations to date. Ride safe Ron

09 LT
07 500 Vulcan (sweetie's)
94 R1100RS
96 DR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in